The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I read an article last night about the Seguin trade to the Stars. Their crazy GM has thoughts of using two of their established players to mentor Seguin. Help him with his maturity level and focus on the game on a daily basis. The idea will be to transform a phenom into a consistent star. Good luck to Whitney and Cole.  Just think how they could have helped Skinner. 

I read an article last night about the Seguin trade to the Stars. Their crazy GM has thoughts of using two of their established players to mentor Seguin. Help him with his maturity level and focus on the game on a daily basis. The idea will be to transform a phenom into a consistent star. Good luck to Whitney and Cole.  Just think how they could have helped Skinner. 

:goodpost: Completely agree. Cole was doing something right in terms of mentoring Skinner, because as soon as he left Skinner became concussion King and inconsistent.

If JR had signed Cole to a 18 million dollar 4 year contract with 3 million dollar bonus and a no trade clause fans would have marched on the then RBC Center with pitchforks and torches. If I remember Cole was offered a 3 million 3 year deal by us. He was the one who decided to head north.

If JR had signed Cole to a 18 million dollar 4 year contract with 3 million dollar bonus and a no trade clause fans would have marched on the then RBC Center with pitchforks and torches. If I remember Cole was offered a 3 million 3 year deal by us. He was the one who decided to head north.

Yep...and look where that got him...

Rutherford confirmed to CarolinaHurricanes.com on Thursday that Jagr was not the player he referenced last Friday.

This isn't to say that signing this unnamed player will not happen. Just don’t hang your hat on it.

“In order to make room for that player who would like to come here, I’d have to make a player trade,” Rutherford said. “That hasn’t come along, and it may not come along.”

It would be the smart thing to do. Plus if JR makes the right move to make room, we could potentially get Morrow (who I think is our mystery man) or Jagr PLUS someone off this list (potentially).

Palushaj is 6ft, how is that too small?  He needs to be  6-1, i guess :)

Yep...and look where that got him...Exactly! Cole was out for  cole and no one else... How that work for ya colsey?? Whitney, i do miss, but  dont want him back at a high price and or over one year..

I still think the player we are trying to move is Pits. One yr left on his contract. I think JR wants to try Murphy/Bellemore more this year. If not Jagr is it Morrow Grabs  Penner or a defensiveman like Hainsey? Or as JR quoted "don't hang your hat on it" and nothing happens. 

Cole had a career year his first year with the Habs, unfortunately the rest of the team never showed up that season. Then he had a typical Erik Cole down year. This coming season I bet he's in form again. It's just the way his career has gone. For the record, he's still one of my favorite NHL players.

Kovalchuk retires. What a blow to NJ. Makes me just a tiny bit more glad we didn't sign Nich. Hope Semin is happy.

If JR moves Pitkanen out and brings in any of the current FA forwards and goes with Murphy and Bellemore, he needs to be summarily fired. He won't dot it, but that would be nuts. Some of the criticism of Joni is true (goes to Joni land, injuries) but even with that, he is a better defenseman than Bellemore ever will be, and thinner than tissue paper depth on defense has been the biggest problem we've had. This would be one step forward and 4 steps back.

If JR moves out Pits for another dman, then fine. Hainsey might be almost as good, and if Pits brought some return it might make some sense, but no one is exactly leaping on Hainsey either. 

Our defense is not ready to line up for the All Star Game, but it is much improved, especially if Murphy can step up. 

What we need is a third line forward.

JR is taking his time on that, and that is fine, third line help can be found as things shake out. 

He is also good at creating questions and rumors. I wonder why he let that mystery man thing out in the first place? Trying to shake loose some trade offers? 

Even more than ever finding out who it was, I'd like to know who he is willing to trade.

Edited by remkin

Cole had a career year his first year with the Habs, unfortunately the rest of the team never showed up that season. Then he had a typical Erik Cole down year. This coming season I bet he's in form again. It's just the way his career has gone. For the record, he's still one of my favorite NHL players.

Honestly he is still one of my favorite players too. I wouldn't count him out just yet. But sometimes circumstance brings results we might not like. I think my point is that looking back on what could have been under different circumstances is foolish.

Man, I like Muse. But I always have really liked Mike Murphy. Reminds me of Irbe and Thomas a bit, small but aggressive, and quick too. He had a dose of reality in the KHL, and now he probably realizes it's going to take some time if he wants to become a backup in the NHL, let alone a starter one day.

Based purely on numbers Muse has and had no shot at the NHL. He gave himself a chance with a good year in the ECHL 2 years ago to get himself into the AHL but he really floundered from what I can tell in the AHL.

Had Murphy not bolted for Russia, Ellis would have been in the AHL on a try out. Murphy his back up and no one would have even had to worry about Peters being our backup this year. Never woulda resigned him. Funny how things happen.

And don't the Devils have a first to give up next year for their cap circumvention antics?

Yes.  The XM guys this morning were wondering if they would get "special dispensation" to negate that since Kovi left.  There's an actual chance they'll have to give up a lottery pick if things go really south, which they could (and probably MUST if the Canes want to be in the playoffs).

I say, to heck with the Devils.  This kind of pain coming down on GMs is well deserved.  It is about time that some of these contract antics really bites them in the butt big time.

That said... I hope our Russian players are happy in the USA.  :)

Edited by wxray1

Staal says he should be good to go for training camp The Chronicle Journal

“I guess I wasn’t expecting it to take as long as it has, but it was a pretty significant injury and I know I’ll be at 100 per cent once the season starts.

Given how bad that injury looked this is key. Hope Ward is similarly good to go.

All of the aquistions aside we need those two bad.

Injuries are always a worry. Until the player returns and skates in games there is always doubt concerning how the injury will effect their play. Fingers crossed both Staal and Ward will be good to go by the season opener.

Here's a brief assessment of top UFA's still available and includes most, if not all, of the people we have been making conjectures about. Not very flattering of Jagr but Grabo and Morrow are positive. Hainsey was positive if you want a defensive d-man.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1699452-2013-nhl-free-agents-we-are-shocked-to-see-still-available

Edited by Bill_B

Patrice Bergeron just got extended for 8 more years at $52 million.  I would guess the Bruins will need to be shedding some salary soon.