The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Patrice Bergeron just got extended for 8 more years at $52 million.  I would guess the Bruins will need to be shedding some salary soon.

...Marchand and/or Kelly rumored.

Edited by Bill_B

...Marchand and/or Kelly rumored.

Saw that a few days ago, I'm all for Kelly to plug out third line center.

Saw that a few days ago, I'm all for Kelly to plug out third line center.

I like Kelly too. He's not afraid to get physical although he's not a big body. His scoring fell off last year but he should be good 12-15 goals and 35+ points as a 3rd line center. It would be easier on Lindholm to play wing his first could of years in the NHL, ie: Raymond - Kelly - Lindholm.

I like Kelly too. He's not afraid to get physical although he's not a big body. His scoring fell off last year but he should be good 12-15 goals and 35+ points as a 3rd line center. It would be easier on Lindholm to play wing his first could of years in the NHL, ie: Raymond - Kelly - Lindholm.

And I think JR did mention that he was open to Lindholm playing both wing and/or center.  I have no idea how the Bruins stay under the cap year after year.  Right now they're $1.3 over.

Kelly would be a nice addition. He carries a $3 million contract and has a no trade clause. Boston won't be looking at taking on salary so the price could be right. Worth considering if Kelly OKd the move. We would still need to make another roster move to clear up some cap space for later moves if I'm reading the situation correctly.

Wonder what it would take to get Kelly. Can't trade McBain anymore :) . One more legit 3rd liner and the major pieces should be in place.

Edited by remkin

Wonder what it would take to get Kelly. Can't trade McBain anymore :) . One more legit 3rd liner and the major pieces should be in place.

Well Boston doesn't want salary, at least not significant salary so maybe a prospect like Bowman or Dalpe and maybe a 4th round pick? Just guessing of course, except the B's need to come out of this with less salary/cap hit.

Hearing Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is focusing on landing a defenseman who takes less $. That's his #1 priority right now & nothing else.

well then....

Makes me think Joni could be out for a cheaper option.  Hainsey?

I don't know. I agree about Hainsey being the logical target but not sure about Joni being moved. It's not like they are interchangeable. Joni is offensive and Hainsey is defensive. Of course JR is being coy about why he wants to move somebody. Is it just to clear a roster player, is it just to get a little salary off the books, ie: <$2M, or is it to make this a salary neutral transaction, ie: +/- $4M out/$4M in? If it's the latter then as you say it's probably Joni but if it's my first two reasons, then Harrison may be the target.

Edited by Bill_B

Hearing Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is focusing on landing a defenseman who takes less $. That's his #1 priority right now & nothing else.

well then....

Makes me think Joni could be out for a cheaper option.  Hainsey?

Hmmm. Not what I would have thought unless he is setting up another trade. Bring another dman in, it would seem one has to go. Only Pits or if he waives his NTC, Gleason. Just not sure that makes sense.

Is this guy credible?

Been told 2 guys the Hurricanes are talking to are Ryan Whitney & Ron Hainsey. They'll only sign 1 of them, & less then their asking for.

Rimer is definitely credible. 

If it's Whitney, he would replace Harrison as a 3rd pair. Hainsey's a 1st or 2nd pairing, which IMO still means Harrison leaving and Sekera moving to 5th d-man.

Adding one of the 2 will make our defense WAY better than last season.

I'd still like to add another 3rd liner but that may be coming after he handles this defensive signing.

Adding one of the 2 will make our defense WAY better than last season.

I'd still like to add another 3rd liner but that may be coming after he handles this defensive signing.

You're right about the defense. Maybe JR will look at somebody like scoring Mason Raymond (UFA) or gritty Chris Kelly (Trade) for the 3rd line after the d-man UFA is resolved.

Well Boston doesn't want salary, at least not significant salary so maybe a prospect like Bowman or Dalpe and maybe a 4th round pick? Just guessing of course, except the B's need to come out of this with less salary/cap hit.

Agreed, Boston is already $1.3 over so I doubt there's any way they'd take back salary. 

For those thinking Joni is on the block, is he even healthy enough to trade these days?

The only way this makes sense is if the only person he found a taker for to make room for the "elite" free agent o/r Jagr is one of defensemen, and JR is actually considering it if he can get one of these guys. Otherwise JR is content with one scoring line, one shutdown line, and two "energy" lines.

And TSA, good question I thought I read somewhere he'd be ready to play by the preseason/camp.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Agreed, Boston is already $1.3 over so I doubt there's any way they'd take back salary. 

For those thinking Joni is on the block, is he even healthy enough to trade these days?

Good point about Joni. He hasn't been medically cleared yet. Last I remember reading (awhile back), was that the Canes are hoping he will be ready by the start of camp.

Good point about Joni. He hasn't been medically cleared yet. Last I remember reading (awhile back), was that the Canes are hoping he will be ready by the start of camp.

Not saying its impossible because we've seen JR pull rabbits out his hat before (Tomas Kaberle) but what team would take a chance on a rehabbing player who has a tough time staying on the ice?

Gleason or Pits are the only two that make any money. Other than that we have a pretty cheap defense already.

Unless JR is trying to add even more depth give last years debacle, and just plans on carrying more defenseman and trading or waiving someone if Murphy is ready.

Didnt think of him, but love to see us get  Kelly, hes the gritty, go to the net guy we need, good on  PK  too, i believe

He's one injury away from being worth this:

bag-of-12-hockey-pucks_2701_500.jpg

So trade him now!

Joni was never activated after his injury last season. The way I read it an injured player can't be traded. I'm not sure if the injury list carries into the off season. A heel injury is a very serious injury. Although everyone seems to say Joni will be ready by training camp if I'm a GM I wouldn't touch a Joni trade until I was certain he is alright.

I wish we could get a definitive answer on if Joni could be traded.