The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Will Hainsey not be signed in the 3-4 mill range anyways?...

He's not much of an upgrade over Pitkanen, and I'm not expecting to trade Pits away for anything valuable in return. Unless it's in a packaged deal.

Idk I think it's just a waste especially if Pits is bought out...

It's apples and oranges to compare Pitkanen to Hainsey, one plays offense while on defense, and the other plays defense, all the time.

Edited by coastal_caniac

f it was someone like Hainsey we go after I would think you would need to move more then Harrison's salary.

I guess it depends on what JR is trying to accomplish with moving somebody. Does he need to cover all of Hainsey's salary or only part of it? Is it a Cap issue or an internal budget issue?  Is Hainsey the "Mystery UFA"  (I always thought he could be) or is it someone else?

It's apples and oranges to compare Pitkanen to Hainsey, one plays offense while on defense, and the other plays defense, all the time.

They might make a good pairing, huh.....

Edited by Bill_B

OUT: McBain, Sangs, Corvo

IN: Sekera, Komisarek, Hainsey

Bellemore and Murphy as depth guys.

Ward healthy with Khudobin as back up.

That is a much, much better defense. But I guess that all depends on who is moved.  I'm guessing the only reason we would move someone is to make sure there is still room to add a 3rd liner (Penner, Brunner, Jagr etc).  Bringing in Hainsey alone shouldn't be a problem.

I understand people think moving Pits for Hainsey would be a bad move (and I somewhat agree) but if we are able to get a decent pick for him or a decent forward I'd say it's worth it.  I don't see how we will resign him with Faulk's resigning coming up.  It's a tricky situation and I hope Pits isn't the guy moved but I really think he makes the most sense. 

Edited by TheFaulker

We're not going to move Pits for Hainsey, that would leave Faulk as the only offensive d-man with a solidified spot on the team. We're likely trying to move Gleason, he's overpaid and hasn't performed well the past couple seasons and Hainsey would fit into his spot nicely.

I just see JR going Hainsey over Jagr or Morrow. And I hate it. Bottom six forwards is a more pressing need on our roster now. Our PP sucks, Jagr would fix that and wants to come here, not to mention he brings that veteran presence. Morrow brings veteran presence, and hits and still may be able to put up around 35 points on the third line, plus penalty killing. Hainsey is a stretch to say he's an improvement over anyone on our roster that he would slot into, only upgrade would be depth. I don't see it as necessary as signing a veteran forward to play on the third line and either the PK or PP.

Hainsey isn't that much better than Faulk, Pitkanen, Gleason, Sekera with an exception on Gleason, but it would only make sense if we move Gleason to sign Hainsey plus either Jagr or Morrow or someone comparable. I think what I'm trying to get at is, we need a real veteran guy who's been everywhere before. Jagr fits the bill to a T in my opinion, if I were JR I'd be saying 1 year no more than 3 million, moving Gleason's 4m hit and bringing in Hainsey on a 2.5m tops hit. 4m going out, 5.5m tops coming in, we get another new face on the blueline to move forward with refacing the defense, while bringing in that veteran guy we need who either helps the PP or PK. Morrow or Jagr I'll take either one, one is more defensive while the other is more offensive. I'm leaning towards Jagr because I'm fanboying over him, and have been since he came back into the NHL.

The only problem with that scenario is JR could've just signed either Jagr or Morrow or Hainsey already, without making them wait to move out someone. So this is why I'm angry, JR is trying to either add defensive depth at the cost of forward depth, or JR is trying to replace a defenseman he's had an offer on, but first wants to make sure he has that position covered before he makes the deal. I DONT KNOW THIS OFFSEASON IS KILLING ME

Edited by SuckaPunchd

It's apples and oranges to compare Pitkanen to Hainsey, one plays offense while on defense when not injured, and the other plays defense, all the time.

Fixed that for you, buddy!  :D

In my personal opinion in our best years we've had a solid 3rd line center who makes his wingers look better then they are. Que Rem.

In my personal opinion in our best years we've had a solid 3rd line center who makes his wingers look better then they are. Que Rem.

I really truly hope Lindholm becomes that third line center that just makes us amazing.

Like Cullen? Oh how long it has been since I last pined for his loss.

I do agree that Lindholm can be that, but this year? Tall order so soon.

Edited by remkin

Like Cullen? Oh how long it has been since I last pined for his loss.

I do agree that Lindholm can be that, but this year? Tall order so soon.

Watching him play, he never takes a few seconds off let alone a shift. This kid works HARD. So I think by mid season he'll be quite comfortable and big part of our success.

This kid also playsbin an European league. He will have a hard time adjustingbtobthe NHL rink size and physicality that comes with it. As it stands, Lindholm is the deciding factor for us making the playoffs. Terrifying. ..

If JR is really after another d-man, then he's got to be trying very hard to unload one of the current d-men. My first choice would be Gleason, but I suspect Harrison is the odd man out. 

Gleason has his moments, so I would tend to keep him.  I would get rid of Pitkanen before anyone else.  He is too unpredictable, cannot quarterback the PP anymore, and the first hit, he's out.  We are paying way too much for him to not see better play or control of the crease.  For $4.5mil, we could get a really good d-man and he only has one year left on his contract.

JR, please DO NOT resign this guy!!!  :thumbdown:  :nailbite:  :facepalm2:

I think JR's in a pickle here. Gleason and Pits are coming of bad injuries and have not gotten medical clearance yet....probably not until camp. Both have big $4+M contract. Other than Faulk, Pits is the only true offensive d-man in any of these conversations. For that reason alone, I believe Pits stays. When Tim's 100%, IMO he will bounce back, Remember Hainsey is a year or two older than these guys. My guess is that Harrison is the odd man out here, if anything even happens.

JR could go after Mason Raymond, 27, for 3rd line scoring for about $2-2.5M. That could give us Raymond - Lindholm - Dwyer.

Not as big a fan of Jagr as I was after reading last week's Bleacher Report about his possible negative effect on the performance of Jamie Benn, Dallas,  and Tyler Seguin, Boston. Still would take Morrow for the 3rd line.

Edited by Bill_B

If JR is really after another d-man, then he's got to be trying very hard to unload one of the current d-men. My first choice would be Gleason, but I suspect Harrison is the odd man out. 

I hope you're wrong and Harrison isn't being considered.  He plays a solid game and brings toughness and physicality to a team known to be pretty soft.  When he's not asked to play a top 4 role, he's a solid asset and mentor for the defense.  How many of these guys have we seen either traded away or not re-signed go on to play great for some other team while our defense suffers year after year?

That said, I'd love to bring in a top 4 defenseman and a third line center.  Thankfully I'm not the GM and I don't have to find a way to get it done.

If our goal was to get bigger and tougher to play against I can't imagine we would move either Gleason or Harrison. Everything IMO ponts to Joni if we were to unload a Dman contract. Of course we could be back to trading a top 6 forward add a Dman and let the defense sort itself out in training camp, I would think we would need to get at least a 3rd line forward back in a top 6 move.

Nothing is clear right now except we need to make one or two more moves to have a team that can contend.

If our goal was to get bigger and tougher to play against I can't imagine we would move either Gleason or Harrison. Everything IMO ponts to Joni if we were to unload a Dman contract. Of course we could be back to trading a top 6 forward add a Dman and let the defense sort itself out in training camp, I would think we would need to get at least a 3rd line forward back in a top 6 move.

Nothing is clear right now except we need to make one or two more moves to have a team that can contend.

I still can't see trading Joni and going into the season with only one potential offensive d-man in Faulk. Guess it would mean Hainsey would have to pitch-in a handful of goals and 20-25 points if Joni goes. Who will be PP QB's? Faulk? Murphy (if 7 dressed)?

Edited by Bill_B

I hope you're wrong and Harrison isn't being considered.  He plays a solid game and brings toughness and physicality to a team known to be pretty soft.  When he's not asked to play a top 4 role, he's a solid asset and mentor for the defense.  How many of these guys have we seen either traded away or not re-signed go on to play great for some other team while our defense suffers year after year?

That said, I'd love to bring in a top 4 defenseman and a third line center.  Thankfully I'm not the GM and I don't have to find a way to get it done.

TSA,  agree on Harrison, and Tylers problems  were more  off the ice , than on..

I still can't see trading Joni and going into the season with only one potential offensive d-man in Faulk. Guess it would mean Hainsey would have to pitch-in a handful of goals and 20-25 points if Joni goes. Who will be PP QB's? Faulk? Murphy (if 7 dressed)? Murphy has the speed and skills for PP, can he  grow a bit?? :)

XM guys quoted an unconfirmed tweet that Morrow is going to MTL, if true it is 2 years, $2.5 million per (I think) in that neighborhood anyway. 

I still can't see trading Joni and going into the season with only one potential offensive d-man in Faulk. Guess it would mean Hainsey would have to pitch-in a handful of goals and 20-25 points if Joni goes. Who will be PP QB's? Faulk? Murphy (if 7 dressed)?

Murphy will be one, I still am pretty confident he'll be used as a 7th like Bergeron was with sheltered minutes but big time on the PP. Semin was starting to be used on the point on another unit as well, with Faulk on one side. We could also go back to the past and put Eric on the point, he was pretty awesome on the point in his sophomore season (05/06). The other point I want to make about Joni is, we can't assume he'll put up 20 points, he hasn't played even close to a full season since signing his new contract in 11/12. So moving him wouldn't really be as detrimental to our PP or offensive production on the backend. He's only played 40% of the games he could have played was he healthy since signing that contract. Besides, we don't know who JR is bringing in after he trades someone. 

So our biggest problem with losing Pitkanen is having to properly replace him. One of the reasons we were horrible on the second half is Pitkanen was injured, came back trying to catch up, and got injured again. He started the season really well, and got injured. I have absolutely 0% confidence on Joni Pitkanen anymore. And he grew on me after we got him. Since we didn't move him that trade deadline in 10/11 he hasn't contributed ANYTHING worth 4.5 million every year. 

So if there was one player on our roster I'd have no remorse for sending him packing, it's Joni Pitkanen. The sad part is he's supposed to be our top pairing guy. And he also most likely doesn't move, because why would anyone want him with his cap hit and inability to stay healthy? Not to mention, what a surprise! He's injured right now. :facepalm:

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I couldn't agree more with TSA and OBXer.... and dinz.....and SuckaPunchd,  Harrison is a successful project for JR and that in it's own might be enough to keep him around.  But he fits in well with his role on the team and can surprise with some offensive plays here and there.  He's the kind of depth you want for your blue liners.

Also, Gleason is the closest thing we have to an enforcer.  At the very least he'll stand up for his team mates and Gleason will fight anyone at the drop of a hat.  He's the only one who will do that... we can't trade away the only guy who will fight or we will be taking one step forward and two steps back.

Trade Pitkanen... he's decent when healthy, but how often is that these days?  And his offensive skills seem to have been declining since we got him.

Edited by jb_online

This is why I wish we used a compliance buyout. We now have to move someone out to sign someone new, but no one wants anyone from our roster that we don't need. Although, Pitkanen still wouldn't have been bought out because he was injured. And even worse, who would be bought out? All the bad contracts on our team are for people we absolutely need, so there's no way we'd buy one of them out. Maybe JR is doing some hoodoo voodoo on Pitkanen so he doesn't get injured next year.  :o

XM guys quoted an unconfirmed tweet that Morrow is going to MTL, if true it is 2 years, $2.5 million per (I think) in that neighborhood anyway. 

Wouldn't surprise me...he's married to Guy Carboneau's daughter