The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

So we have:

Gleason, Pitkanen, Sekera, Faulk, Harrison, Komisarek w/ Murphy and Bellemore in the bullpen. 

If we add another defenseman, how does that work? Carry 7 and keep Murphy and Bellemore in the AHL for the year? 

If we move a dman out, then it is a wash unless the new guy is a marked improvement. Maybe Hainsey? I guess it depends on your opinion of him.

If we move out a Ruutu (who has to agree), then we give up our big hitter who can score (isn't that exactly what we are looking for?) coming off injuries when his value might not be high. 

If we move Skinner then that is not just for cap space, that should return a grade A top pair dman plus, in a trade.

What other forward would we move that would clear enough space to pick up a relatively expensive dman and a third liner?

The glaring need on defense is a true top pairing caliber dman. But not seeing that out there in FA.  

I just don't see who moves out. I guess we'll see if it happens.

Couldn't agree more... the deal just wouldn't make sense. Like them or hate them, it would be absolutely absurd to move Ruutu or Skinner to make room for a player on a 1-year deal. Remember that's how all this started, JR said he was working on a FA to take less money for one year. Now that Lindholm is signed, I do think JR will sign a forward, but I doubt the original player he wanted comes here... I really wish it was Morrow or Penner (If he plays like he can). The only way I see any of this making sense is if JR moved Joni because he doesn't plan to re-sign him. Other than that, none of this makes sense as I don't think Harrison makes enough cap room. The Canes won't be right against the cap... JR will make sure they have wiggle room. I suspect when it's all said and done the Canes will be around $2 million below cap.

To go along with previous post...

"Some scuttlebutt from PNC Arena today: Canes apparently do have interest in Ron Hainsey. Would have to move a contract to sign him. Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) "

I guess it all depends on what Hainsey is asking for... $3-3.5M? Would moving Harrison make enough room? Let's do the math...

$5.435M in cap space... minus Lindholm's $1.7M (if he meets all bonuses). is $3.735. Add Harrison trade (just speculating) getting no salary in return. $1.5 giving JR $5.235M to sign Hainsey, 3rd line forward and possibly a 4th line player? Dicey. JR doesn't absolutely have to sign another forward, although I think we all want him to.

BTW, if Murphy plays it'll be a $1.313M cap hit.

Edited by ThaRaven

BTW, if Murphy plays it'll be a $1.313M cap hit.

This is the thing nobody is thinking about...so I dunno if moving just one player is gonna cut it...we might see two players go.

I'm not sure that I have this correct, but I keep reading that according to the new CBA rules, bonuses earned by these recent draftees are NOTCOUNTED in this years salaries, but added on to next years. That would mean that Lindholm's salary is only the $1.i million, not $3.75 million.

I think the way I read it the bonus can be applied to either this season or next season. But we don't need to make that decision until this season is over. We have a couple contracts coming due but we have contract expiring and we still have both the compliance buyouts we could use at the end of the upcoming season. Of course Lindholm might not earn the bonus money.

As for brining in Ron Hainsey in I guess you either need to move 2 or 3 smaller salaries or one big contract. You wouldn't think he would take less then $3 million but I guess you never know.

If we're at the cap then Lindholm's bonus would be applied to next season, leaving him with a cap hit of $832,500. We're not at the cap though and if JR is looking to move salary to sign this mystery FA then I'd say it's pretty safe to say Lindholm's hit for this year will be 1.7 mil.

So then, Hainsey was the mystery man then? They said we'd have to move a contract for the mystery man...

I can understand after last year JR wanting to go deep on defense, but do we really want 7 NHL one way Dmen on the roster? 

What smaller forward contracts can JR move and still have enough players? At this point we have only 11 forwards under contract and need at least 12. Sure could move Bowman or Nash, but need bodies to fill the bottom 6. 

Seems we have to move either a bigger forward contract or a current dman, but one who is getting paid a bit (would Harrison make enough room?). 

Is Hainsey really worth losing Ruutu? I vote no.

Here's another thought. We have just added two defensive defenseman to replace two offensive defenseman. Hainsey hasn't scored a goal in two years. If we traded Joni and brought in Hainsey we would have no offensive defenseman. This would make the powerplay even worse. 

If we moved Joni for Hainsey, we would just about HAVE to be planning on Murphy being up here just about all year. 

I can't believe that JR wants to trade Gleason. Injured last year, heart and soul guy, went out of his way to sign him, and has NTC. 

Harrison, sure. I know people like him for the $$ but we have Komisarek for that now. But does he create enough space? 

If he moved Joni and Harrison and brought Murphy up and added Hainsey? 

Edited by remkin

An article in Bleacher Report Speculates on a few guys we could use. 

NHL Free Agency 2013: Where Carolina Hurricanes Can Still Turn for Help | Bleacher Report

Hainsey leads it off. 

But an interesting name for the 4th line and PK: Lennart Petrell. 6'3", apparently a very good penalty killer.

Also mentioned Penner and the idea of having Ruutu and Penner on opposite wings on the third line. Bang and score. Maybe a skilled playmaking Swedish center between them?

Also it is interesting what is facing the remaining UFA's that were not asked to dance in the frenzy. Given how many teams are up against the cap, many of them are going to have to drop their expectations on price, especially as time goes on. Don't want to be the last man standing without a seat. 

I think Gleason has a no trade clause, so I don't see him moving. With what Harrison does he's such a bargain I'd hate to move him. Always thought Pitkanen would be moved when healthy enough. HIs skill and expiring contract make him attractive. If they do trade Joni for a second rounder or whatever I'd take it to mean they feel very good about Murphy being ready. You'd basically replace Pits contract with Hainsey's and Murphy's.

Gleason isn't going anywhere! We are trying to get tougher on the D. Giving up Gleason would be giving up grit. Cam needs help no matter how well he plays. Look for JR to use Murphy more which would help the offense from the D. IMO Pits is the guy we are trying to trade while adding Hainsey for shut down purposes. Harrison and another lesser throw in could also be sent packing for a wing Boyes??

I hate to break it to all of you. But whether you want to admit it or not. Pitkanen is probably our best defensemen. Well he used to be. Now it's Faulk. But you think we have a bad power play or have trouble getting the puck out of our zone right now? Just wait until we trade Pits.

Murphy is not the answer right now. Relying on him to be our only offensive d-man would be a HUGE mistake and result in yet another train wreck known as the Carolina Hurricanes regular season. Pits really isn't over paid and will take another home town discount because he likes it here. Geez people. I am just happy that McBain and Corvo are gone. I am feeling fairly confident with our current D. It's pretty good...

The big question for me is if we move Pits for Hainsey, who is on the back end of the PP units?  I thought Tim Brent did a good job at the point but obviously, he's not here...Faulk and Lindholm at the point on the 1st team and Sekera and who on the 2d???  It seems pretty thin to me and that is one place where we can't mess around. 

I don't challenge Pits capabilities "if" he can stay healthy? He is often out of the lineup do to various ailments. I expect him to be cleared for play in camp, but who knows how he will respond from the broken heel. Who knows he could have a great year as players tend to over achieve in the llast year of their contract. If we are still looking for an upper level UFA Pits salary level would fit the bill.Murphy may not be the answer, but he will see more action this year. It's been speculated that we are going after a Dman, pits is the lesser of two evils over trading Skinner or Rut for a high profile forward. I still have my reservations on Skins as a few more concussions will end his career early.Maybe we do nothing further and still have a much indices team from last year.

I'm not convinced it is Pits we are moving. I'm not convinced it isn't. It appears our goal is to add a top 4 D-man and a third line forward. I think that was the goal going into the off-season so what has changed.  The defense has improved IMO but I guess not enough. Honestly I can't figure out who's contract we want to move. It's driving me nuts. I admit thats not a long drive. :blink:

Yah, that's the thing. It's not that one can just slot Hainsey in for Harrison and call it a day. Can we? I mean if we can, all due respect to Harrison, but you do it. Again, Harrison has proven to be a capable 5-6 dman and is a bargain, and I'm not exactly sure how good Hainsey is relative to our other guys, but I'm pretty sure Hainsey>>Harrison. So, if that leaves enough room I'd have a pretty big smile on my face if that's the deal. How would our defense not be hugely improved with that move?

Maybe no big name Chara type, but what a strong group top to bottom that would be. A very very good committee. But if we were just trying to move Harrison's salary, would it really take this long? Just move him to someone for a 5th round pick or something. (of course the delay could be Hainsey not being quite ready to accept the low ball offer, yet if he is the mystery man, then he has already said he will take a cut).

Outside of just subbing for Harrison, moving people out gets hard for me to figure out. Moving low priced third and fourth liners makes no sense in that we need someone to play on those lines and won't get anyone much cheaper. Plus the third line is still a problem area.

JR is not trading Skinner unless he gets huge overpayment. Swapping dmen other than Harrison seems problematic. See posts above.

That leaves Ruutu, but he does have a NTC, and just about everyone and their grandmother agrees we need grit, and when healthy no one levels a hit quite like Ruutu. The exact player we are looking for on the third line but with second line skills. I guess IF he waived the NTC, IF we got a really nice return...but still JR wants to win now. Does Hainsey for Ruutu get that done? Maybe if we get a decent third liner and a first round pick...but then is Ruutu tradable while recovering from surgery?

So, Cap Geeks, can we add Hainsey by just moving Harrison? If not, how do we do it without losing a key piece of the team?

Edited by remkin

Moving Harrison alone doesn't make sense to me. Moving Harrison in combination with maybe a Bowman, Bellemore, Dwyer  or something like that might work. The thing is I wouldn't move Harrison. We have already acquired Sekera who we say will skate top 4 and I suspect Hainsey  would end up top 4. I would think you have to move either Pitkanen or Gleason.

When JR talks top lines he always mentions Skinner and Ruutu so you would think they are not in the trade mix unless as pointed out it is a deal that you can't turn down. The Staals and Semin aren't going anywhere. So that would leave Tlusty. I would hate that.

Whoever we trade would need to bring a roster ready third line forward and leave enough cap room for Hainsey.

No small task.

Trading Tlusty would be nuts. That line works and it doesn't need messing with. Maybe the idea of trading a guy at his peak, but we need to win this year, and trading Tlusty doesn't fit that.

The point to me is that I am having trouble seeing where moving anyone makes sense.

At this point for this year we have Komisarek as our low priced guy who kind of fills the Harrison role with way more upside. But next year, if he is all that, he will need to be paid, while Harrison, presumably would still be cheap. But that's next year.

Why not to move:

Gleason: NTC, went out of way to sign, physical, drops gloves, played last season hurt, leadership. 

Pitkanen: Took home town discount, injured, but main thing is a swap for Hainsey leaves offensive void, esp PP.

Sekera: not an upgrade really, just gave up 2nd rounder for him.

Komi: way cheap w/ huge upside. Won't clear space. Just got him.

Faulk: do I really have to put anything here?

Harrison: doesn't move much salary, relatively physical and big, will drop gloves, good teammate. 

Tlusty: Potential 40 goal scorer. Fits perfectly on his line. Bargain. Final piece to one of best lines in hockey.

Ruutu: physical, hits, should be completely healthy, can play physical and still put up 50 plus points. NTC. Went out of way to sign.

Skinner: has not touched his full potential. Potential offensive superstar. JR's master pick. Still would be in college. Too much upside.

Staals and Semin not going anywhere.

Dwyer: every team needs a guy like this,not much salary

Bowman: sure, but doesn't move salary, have to replace him so no salary gain.

Nash/Westgarth: see Bowman.

So, I guess it is beyond me to figure out what would really improve the team other than Harrison out, Hainsey in. 

Not at all saying that's the deal, but anyone else we are giving up something and I guess we'd have to see what the return would be.

Need JR to make it all clear. Hopefully if it happens it's an AH HA moment and not a "really?" moment.

So dead right now. So little news.

Edit: unless you count us signing Jared Staal today.

Edited by remkin

Maybe it will all start coming in after development camp...

Glad to see Jared back. I want him to develop more into that gritty 4th liner I can see him being for us...Maybe...possibly...hopefully?

The point to me is that I am having trouble seeing where moving anyone makes sense.

Exactly..I can't figure it out either. Hopefully JR  can.

Two points to make:

1. My aplologies to dinz if my response to his post seemed hostile or unfriendly. :Oops:

2. Next year, Mark Staal will be a UFA.  I wonder if/how JR's planning involves him.  Just thinking ................

Two points to make:

1. My aplologies to dinz if my response to his post seemed hostile or unfriendly. :Oops:

2. Next year, Mark Staal will be a UFA.  I wonder if/how JR's planning involves him.  Just thinking .............. ,?? I went back through.and didnt see anything .. So i dont think you owe any apoligises,  g105..   i know its Hot here in mass :), but  dont see  where i may have gotten  upset at something.. Im sooooooo confused