The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Food for thought. Since JR is infamous for his "reclamation projects", I was just reading about a player who would fit this chacterization to a T. Gilbert Brule. 3rd line center and scorer, as well as 1st round pick in 05. perfect for JR! Anyone on here have any insight into this player, or is he considered too much of a "head case"?

He had the skills to be a good one then had a lot of personel issues. Too much of a risk at this point although I heard he was in good shape and off the meds.

I have always wished that we would get our version of a Scott Stevens. I remember watching in person and to my horror him taking out 2 of our forwards with his checks in a single series. I don't think the NHL will ever see a heavy hitter like him. But man would I love to see us grab someone who could lay big time hits like that while playing a responsible defensive game..

I have always wished that we would get our version of a Scott Stevens. I remember watching in person and to my horror him taking out 2 of our forwards with his checks in a single series. I don't think the NHL will ever see a heavy hitter like him. But man would I love to see us grab someone who could lay big time hits like that while playing a responsible defensive game..

Pretty much every highlight reel hit Stevens ever dished out would be illegal now, what with all the scrutiny on head-shots.

Personally, I'd settle for a responsible d-man who will keep the front of the net clear and win battles along the wall.  Big hits are pretty, but often cause more problems than they solve (Subban and Phaneuf jump to mind).

Brenden Morrow's agent confirms he has spoken with Canes and plans to again.

Dwyer - Lindholm - Morrow is a solid 3rd line

Bowman - Welsh - Westgarth on the 4th?

Edited by TheFaulker

Apparently Morrow played with a split knee cap during the playoffs.

Well that sounds horribly painful and blarg. the kind of grit that goes well with Gleason's broken foot and Tlusty's broken finger.

Jeez, I get grumpy just from crunchy knee....

If we bring in both Hainsey and Morrow this will have been quite a successful offseason.

Since moving a contract is the major hurdle I wouldn't count on it. Jr"s original comment was that he.doubted they would be able to sign the top mystery UFA. He also stated "don't hang you hat on it". Not that we are not still trying, but it is likely that nothing happens.

Mr. Francis is saying Rask has a good a chance to make the roster. Could we have morrow, rask, and ruutu the 3rd line? Thats a pretty good shutdown line. Dwyer with westgarth and bowman/staal/nash/ whoever is a good with 4th line as well.

If we don't make a move to add another forward, I think our lines might look something like this:

Tlusty/Staal/Semin

Ruutu/Staal/Lindholm

Rask/Skinner/Dalpe

Dwyer/Nash/Westgarth

JR tipped his hand about drafting Lindholm when he kept pointing out the "top six" prospects instead of the top five.  Somwhere back in the draft thread you can see when I started to notice that trend.  I am noticing that same thing with with JR pointing out that Lindholm can also play wing.  I think Linholm has the inside track to be the playmaker on the Staal line.  That third line is a stretch, but could really produce in a protected role.  I know nobody is talking about Rask making the team this year, but if you look at what we have right now, I think he would make the team.  Even if we added Morrow, Rask might make the team ahead of Dalpe.  For those of you that don't get to see much junior hockey, Rask isn't great in any area, but is is solid in every area.  He is more defensively reponsible than any of our prospects.

If we don't make a move to add another forward, I think our lines might look something like this:

Tlusty/Staal/Semin

Ruutu/Staal/Lindholm

Rask/Skinner/Dalpe

Dwyer/Nash/Westgarth

JR tipped his hand about drafting Lindholm when he kept pointing out the "top six" prospects instead of the top five.  Somwhere back in the draft thread you can see when I started to notice that trend.  I am noticing that same thing with with JR pointing out that Lindholm can also play wing.  I think Linholm has the inside track to be the playmaker on the Staal line.  That third line is a stretch, but could really produce in a protected role.  I know nobody is talking about Rask making the team this year, but if you look at what we have right now, I think he would make the team.  Even if we added Morrow, Rask might make the team ahead of Dalpe.  For those of you that don't get to see much junior hockey, Rask isn't great in any area, but is is solid in every area.  He is more defensively reponsible than any of our prospects.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

Ruutu-Staal-Skinner

Dalpe-Lindholm-Dwyer

Welsh-Sutter-Nash

This is what I have come up with assuming we don't bring in a 3rd liner via FA.

Mr. Francis is saying Rask has a good a chance to make the roster. Could we have morrow, rask, and ruutu the 3rd line? Thats a pretty good shutdown line. Dwyer with westgarth and bowman/staal/nash/ whoever is a good with 4th line as well.

That would be a good third line.  I am not sold on Skinner with Jordan.  They just didn't seem to work that well together.  Maybe version 2.0 will look better...

It would be easier to project the bottom six if we had more information about who plays on the penaly kill for the Checkers.  I think that is the skill that will help earn a roster spot.  I have read that Linholm is projected to play short handed.  Rask played in all situations in Calgary and was a top penalty killer. 

I'd like to keep Ruutu J and Skin together to see if they can develop some chemistry. Skill-wise, they make a very complete line.

Rask/Lindholm/Morrow would be a nice 3rd line. And I'd imagine Westgarth is still on the team as a 4th liner. Dwyer, Bowman, Welsh, Dalpe, Sutter, Nash would all compete for other 2 spots.

Hmmm. Where to start. 

First, the Morrow rumor was mentioned on XM as an unconfirmed tweet several days ago. It was being tweeted as a done deal. Clearly that was wrong.

Second: Dalpe-Lindholm-Dwyer.  Really happy with that? I'm not even close to happy with that. That looks like more of the same. Dwyer is fine as a complementary piece of a line, but the guy will not score more than a few token rush or tap in goals. He brings other intangibles, but not big hits, not clearing space...when this team is built ready for a deep run Dwyer will be on the team. On the 4th line.

Third: Liked Luke's article. He must be reading my posts: "In the game of offseason triage, the forwards need the most help now.This is why some of us are scratching our heads over how to fit Hainsey in. 

Fourth: I loved this: "Morrow would be the ideal complement to Jordan Staal and Ruutu, a savvy veteran who can still chip in with a few goals. He can take some of the leadership burden off Eric Staal and the other young players who have been asked, somewhat unfairly, to shoulder it. And in a rough-and-tumble new division, Morrow’s grit can help the Hurricanes compete".

This makes so much sense I could bust. Morrow, Staal and Ruutu out there banging the other guys's top line. That is a physical line that will also put up goals. But what is also does is open the third line to unleash the goals on the other guy's bottom pair dmen. 

Skinner-Lindholm-Dwyer (Rask). If they could find the chemistry, could be off the hook. We would have a 1-2-3 punch. The other team could pick their poison, but good luck with that.

If we could add Hainsey without losing any key pieces in addition to Morrow, then all the better. But if we are going to just pick up one more piece, it should be Morrow.

Edited by remkin

We're all making assumptions, including those assuming JR is done up front.

I would argue that getting Morrow is quite realistic. We need him more than we need Hainsey and we can get it done.

The "no help on the third line" third line points out the problem. They all have Dalpe. Look I'd love nothing more than for Dalpe to finally step into that role, but the guy was not even a late season call up. He has been indirectly maligned by two different coaches. He should be a "grab your shot if there's an injury" guy and exactly the type of guy we keep slotting in there and like Bowman, and Boychuk, keep waiting for him to do something at this level. The way too overused definition of insanity comes to mind on this third line thing.

Rask? Love the promise. But not a proven gritty NHL forward. 

Bowman? Look at his ppg.

Dwyer? Sure, but the guy scores less than the average back up goalie, and doesn't exactly scream grit. 

Nash? I actually like the not oft mentioned Riley Nash more than most, but not gritty or proven.

Etc etc etc.

It is very possible that one of those guys could step up. But it hasn't happened in quite a few years and is not a very good plan.

Edited by remkin

It would be easier to project the bottom six if we had more information about who plays on the penaly kill for the Checkers.  I think that is the skill that will help earn a roster spot.  I have read that Linholm is projected to play short handed.  Rask played in all situations in Calgary and was a top penalty killer. 

I agree, and that seems to be something that was discussed early on, but not recently. From GoCheckers.com:

Further to Carolina’s wish list are players who specialize in killing penalties, something that Bellemore, Blanchard, Sutter and Wallace all did with regularity in Charlotte this season. One of the Checkers’ strengths over the past few years was its excellent mixture of skill and grit up front, which lent itself to exactly the kind of defined roles the Hurricanes are now looking for.

The whole article: http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/index.html?article_id=1551

Fourth: I loved this: "Morrow would be the ideal complement to Jordan Staal and Ruutu, a savvy veteran who can still chip in with a few goals. He can take some of the leadership burden off Eric Staal and the other young players who have been asked, somewhat unfairly, to shoulder it. And in a rough-and-tumble new division, Morrow’s grit can help the Hurricanes compete".

Skinner-Lindholm-Dwyer (Rask). If they could find the chemistry, could be off the hook. We would have a 1-2-3 punch. The other team could pick their poison, but good luck with that.

Morrow might also be the ideal guy to play on a third line with Skinner and Rask.  He could fill the role of mentor for them, kind of like Cole did when Skinner was a rookie.  That would leave Linholm's play making skills with J. Staal and Ruutu.  That being said, a third line of Skinner/Rask/Lindholm would be hard to handle for most teams.

If Dwyer is on our fourth line, we will be a much better team. A fourth line of Sutter/Nash/Dwyer would not be physically feared, but it would allow us to role four lines and get more favorable matchups for our top lines. They are all defensively responsible and could get some time checking a top line, allowing (Wing)/Staal/Ruutu to get some softer minutes now and then.  It wouldn't do a lot to make us tougher to play against.

Hell, I saw more production out of Jared Staal in his limited games this past season that Dalpe, Bowman, Nash and Welsh...so why are folks so keen to throw all their names out as players to stick in 3/4 lines?  And for that matter, why are we still so keen on Westgarth?  That trade still makes no sense to me...he didn't hit ANYTHING until it was too late in the season.