The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

He's also one more concussion away from never having a prime.  If we're going to get better, we need to at least see if we can either:

1. Find someone to defend him from being a punching bag every single game.

or

2. See what we can get for him on the open market while he still has significant value.

So far, JR has refused to do #1.

If the team is planning on finding him a defender they are playing it coy. 

At the press conference Muller said something to the effect of it not really being a matter of a guy to defend Skinner, but more about Skinner learning not to put himself in vulnerable positions. 

That said, Tripp and John as I've pointed out were going on and on about Matt Cooke, and while I know most people (including me) are not fans, in today's NHL, if I'm a player thinking about laying out Skinner, am I more worried about the other guy's goon fighting our goon, or that their cheap shot guy might take a run at me. I know what I'd be more afraid of. 

I'd be interested in picking up John Scott or Colton Orr or both and putting them out there with Westy and seeing who the other team's enforcer would rather go with.

He's also one more concussion away from never having a prime.  If we're going to get better, we need to at least see if we can either:

1. Find someone to defend him from being a punching bag every single game.

or

2. See what we can get for him on the open market while he still has significant value.

So far, JR has refused to do #1.

One would have to think with the hits he's seen this season and the concussions he might focus some offseason training to skills that would help him avoid checks. Not to mention I'm sure the organization is going to work with him on it. JR doesn't make an investment like the one he made on Skinner to let concussions ruin it. Not to mention the possibility of an injury does not and should not dictate trading that player, especially if that player is 20, has 3 years experience, and has huge offensive upside. And who knows? Maybe he addresses number 1 this offseason.

@Remkin - Exactly. It's one thing to have an enforcer that fights the other teams enforcer. It's another to have a semi-dirty player who's not afraid to make dirty plays to send messages. Because it's obvious we don't have that currently, and the alternative which is a team approach at standing up for your player (look at MTL and OTT series) just seems to be impossible for the Hurricanes. As much as I hate Cooke, I'd love him on our team. I've really warmed up to the idea. Someone like him can actually make guys feel at ease on the bench, creates a type of team bond, and will probably brighten the locker room. Not to mention Cooke can actually play decent minutes and contribute offensively somewhat.

Of the 'enforcer' type UFAs, I like Raffi Torres. He's really added so much to San Jose so far since the deadline, and you can tell by watching their other players and how they look rejuvenated somewhat. I doubt he gets to free agency though, since Clowe is gone they'd want to keep Torres.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I'll take Orr over Torres...Orr hasn't been suspended for cheap shots like Torres has.

At the press conference Muller said something to the effect of it not really being a matter of a guy to defend Skinner, but more about Skinner learning not to put himself in vulnerable positions.

Kinda hard to not play in vulnerable positions when you're turned into a punching bag from the first puck drop!

I'll take Orr over Torres...Orr hasn't been suspended for cheap shots like Torres has.

Kinda hard to not play in vulnerable positions when you're turned into a punching bag from the first puck drop!

What kind of excuse is this? His injury (concussion) issues stem from him putting the crap he did in his first year when no one really knew what to expect on repeat the past two seasons. If he adjusts his game to a more team oriented play style instead of acting like he's the only one on his line (regardless of where he ends up) that can do anything offensively on the ice, then I have no doubt he'll effectively cut down his chance of injury since the puck simply shouldn't be on his stick as much. He also needs to work on being stronger on his skates, that would also drastically reduce his chance of injury.

I'd be open to trading him for Marc Staal, but not until after next season. If he comes in next season with those adjustments in his game then we should definitely keep him, but if it's more of the same from the past two seasons then bye bye Skinner.

Ya, I think it's a little bit of both. It doesn't seem like Saint Louis takes those monster hits, or Ray Whitney seem to avoid them. But sometimes it really seems like teams have a target on Skinner too. Crosby and others have had concussion problems also. I don't know. But I know that I would like to watch Skinner for years to come.

Someone on the ESPN chat board with Katie Strang is mentioning rumors of a Skinner for Marc trade coming up in July.

Isn't Marc a FA after next season? If that is the case, I'd like to see how Skinner does next season, and then try to pick up Marc without giving something up.

I just dont see the Marc Staal deal for Skinner in any form or fashion making sense. What I do see, is the acceptance of mediocrity for this team. Somewhere this organization has to decide if its wants to change, and if it does. That will mean moving players that are par at best, even though they are loved by the fan base. What is it going to be, winning, competing, or contious excuses...

Isn't Marc a FA after next season? If that is the case, I'd like to see how Skinner does next season, and then try to pick up Marc without giving something up.

Marc's still has a couple of years on this contract after they lose to the Caps this year. IMO it would have to be Staal plus something for Skinner. But if we trade Skinner, I'd hate to see him stay in the East because one-day he will figure how to keep his head-up!!

JR priorities needs to be investing in the defense. First we need somebody better than Faulk**,  a top 2-way player, preferrably big. Second we need somebody to replace Bryan Allen's size and grit. An optional addition would be a character veteran with skill and locker room presence.  1st pair:  Gleason/New Top Player, 2nd Pair: Harrison or Allen Replacement/Faulk; 3rd Pair: Harrison or Allen Replacement/Sangs or Veteran or Murphy. 

Secondary for JR could be cloning Ruutu...somebody that will hit, even fight, a team first guy, and has offensive upside (15-20 goals):. Maybe Ryane Clowe (UFA). I'm sure their are others of similar ilk. Otherwise I would not touch the top 6, including Skinner.

**Comment for calibration purposes. I love Faulk but he is still developing into a top-tier d-man. JR should look for a current top-tier guy to trade for this summer.

Edited by Bill_B

The only reason we are talking about a possible Skinner trade is because when JR was asked if he would consider trading a top 6 he said if the deal was good enough. JR is old time hockey and if any deal makes sense you consider it. But he didn't say he wanted to trade a top 6 or that he would actively shop a top 6. What I got out of the remarks was that our priority was to add one or two veteran Dmen and fix the depth ie 3rd line.When talking about D he mentioned losing Spacek and Allen.That shouldn't cost you Skinner or a Ruutu.

If you move Skinner how do you replace him on the top 6 with the money left after you pay for that Big Name Defense-man? 

The only reason we are talking about a possible Skinner trade is because when JR was asked if he would consider trading a top 6 he said if the deal was good enough. JR is old time hockey and if any deal makes sense you consider it. But he didn't say he wanted to trade a top 6 or that he would actively shop a top 6. What I got out of the remarks was that our priority was to add one or two veteran Dmen and fix the depth ie 3rd line.When talking about D he mentioned losing Spacek and Allen.That shouldn't cost you Skinner or a Ruutu.

If you move Skinner how do you replace him on the top 6 with the money left after you pay for that Big Name Defense-man? 

The only reason I can see JR could consider the outside possibly of trading Skinner or Ruutu is to get one of the very top eschelon defenseman. That may be tough to accomplish. JR could move down a notch and trade for somebody like 25 year-old Eric Johnson ($3.75M for next 3 years), the 1st Seth Jones. Johnson hasn't met those high expectation of 2006 but would be a great pick-up for less than a top-6 forward.

Skinner is not one of my favorites but he should not be traded at 20/21. I got flamed last year for posting he probably peaked his rookie year but I would hold-off for a few more years, unless Stamkos or Giroux want to come here...sarcasm!!!!!

Edited by Bill_B

I love speculating about the future as much as the next guy, but the odds of getting clowe is none. He will at least get his same salary if not more. And with our salary limits, that puts us out. We really need defense most, so that should be our focus.

If we did trade a top 6 is Dalpe ready to step in?

Dalpe? No. Dwyer? Maybe. Then again with an actual training camp who knows.

Also, what happened to the Playoff Pick'Em thread?

Also, one thing that's kinda bugged me. Cam is going to be making 6.6 mil next season, which when compared to say Antti Niemi at 4 mil seems like a bit of an over payment.

Edited by Blinding

Also, one thing that's kinda bugged me. Cam is going to be making 6.6 mil next season, which when compared to say Antti Niemi at 4 mil seems like a bit of an over payment.

We're still paying for his Conn Smythe

Cam is definitely slightly overpaid, but I feel like his best is still yet to come. He lets in soft goals, but what goalie hasn't? He had a bad start this past season, but that happens to elite goalies all over. Let's get Cam a real defense for once in his career and then we'll know what he can really do. I suspect that even Anderson and Lundqvist would look mediocre in front of the atrocity that is our blue line. I've had moments where I've been disappointed in Cam, but I've been disappointed 100 times more by our defense not blocking a shot, clearing the crease, boxing out, and leaving guys wide open in front of the net or on the back door. You saw what happens to lesser goalies in that situation (Peters/Ellis). They got absolutely punished this season. Let's hope JR gets it done this off season.

Edited by Gejustin

My feelings exactly. Is there anyone in the system who is "The Goalie of the Future"?  There are a couple of goalies who will be available this off season. I would hope that this is the season we get over the man crush and take a bold step. Even when he is healthy , how much better are we ?  By the way, which goalies will be making more than 6.6 million?

Edited by winger52

Look. Are we really going down this route again? For a while this season I would have agreed until I saw what happened when Cam was injured. We started losing and losing a lot. His numbers are sub par because the guys infront of him have no clue how to play defense.

Cam is shelled on a nightly basis. People go into the crease uncontested and get point blank shots on him, blue line turn overs are a common practice as well. The team doesn't win without Cam in the nets. It is that simple. For a while I was calling for Cam's head on a pike but this season made me realize how good he actually is. The guy is a top 5 goalie on a horrible team.

My feelings exactly. Is there anyone in the system who is "The Goalie of the Future"?  There are a couple of goalies who will be available this off season. I would hope that this is the season we get over the man crush and take a bold step. Even when he is healthy , how much better are we ?  By the way, which goalies will be making more than 6.6 million?

The "goalie of the future" is not going to back Cam up for 3 years...Muse will get some time to develop in the AHL and we should be patient and see how that goes.  He has been a winner at every level thus far.  If Fucale is available in the 2d round, maybe we draft him but I still think that we have more pressing needs at this point.  Ellis is only 32 and I still think he is the best option for at least the next 2 years to play in tandem with Cam. 

except I don't have permission to go "there" - I guess it's coming....

My bad....everyone should see the playoff section now.   Fixed :)

Look. Are we really going down this route again? For a while this season I would have agreed until I saw what happened when Cam was injured. We started losing and losing a lot. His numbers are sub par because the guys infront of him have no clue how to play defense.

Cam is shelled on a nightly basis. People go into the crease uncontested and get point blank shots on him, blue line turn overs are a common practice as well. The team doesn't win without Cam in the nets. It is that simple. For a while I was calling for Cam's head on a pike but this season made me realize how good he actually is. The guy is a top 5 goalie on a horrible team.

Except I'm not suggesting Cam is a bad goaltender, rather that his pay is a bit inflated. Yes, his stats are a bit worse due to not having an actual defense in front of him since 05-06, but he's also getting paid more then Miller, Fluery, Price, Hiller, Halak, Niemi, Rask, Schnieder, and Anderson, all of who are arguably better goaltenders (well, except Fluery, he couldn't stop a beach ball if he wanted to.) He's actually going to be 100k shy of reaching what Lou was going to be paid next year (he'll surely be bought out,) and even if this team had a proper defense I'm pretty sure he shouldn't be making 6.6 mil at any point in his career.