The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Also, I would recommend checking out the full chart at the end of the article, it really shows the importance of special teams, and the effect of a teams' overall shooting/save percentage. It is interesting to see the bottom of the luck scale, and how it reflects the draft with the exception of NJ which hung tough despite bad "luck", and the glaring fact that TB finished almost in the middle of the luck scale, yet managed to pick #3 overall. Shame on you Tampa Bay.

Good stuff, and congrats, these are the same guys developing the player usage charts I really like (maybe most not so much).  Nice to see someone else finds this stuff interesting. :thumbsup:

When I saw TB's luck scale, I had the same reaction.  Give me a break. 

In terms of career path, the one who reminds me the most of Tlusty is Bowman...Go back to 2010 when Tlusty had 12 points in 57 games, he had 36 points in 79 games in 11-12 and then the break out year...I think the Canes did it right with him learning to be defensively responsible first and then letting the offense come; I see the same in Bowman, he was a responsible player last year in that I really can't remember any "oh my God" moments of defensive lapses.  It would be great if he could come in with an extra 5-10 lbs of muscle this season, which would essentially put him on par with Tlusty in terms of size.  Dalpe is still a question mark as we just have not seen enough of him at the NHL level, it still remains to be seen if he can get it done in the defensive part of the game. 

I expect to see a lot of line combinations in camp, maybe even Lindholm centering Dalpe and Bowman with Nash centering Dwyer and Welsh for a 4th line look.  I also don't count out the possibility of Skinner centering the 3rd line with Lindholm and Ruutu and maybe Bowman and/or Dalpe moving to play with J. Staal.  I think at least a wing spot on the 2d line and the bottom 6 are going to be very competitive. 

Awhile ago I made a post about how we have tried developing our prospects and how Tlusty was taught defense first as a forward and progress from there, and how Bowman, out of all our prospects, is the most similar to that. Basing off of Tlusty's success, Bowman could surprise a lot of people next season, but I'll stick to that only if he has a strong camp.

Sucka, if Bowman breaks out this year, you are getting the credit on calling that. I don't see it, but I really hope I'm wrong. 

I haven't seen anything that makes me think that any of the Checkers forwards are ready to break out.

what is the readiness of the Checkers' d-men? if they are not ready to make the move "to the big league, what does this say about the Canes' player development?

Bellemore, Jordan and of course Murphy are capable of playing quality minutes...Bellemore and Jordan are not sexy but they can play. Lets also remember that Faulk is still considered a prospect. Kvisto, Levy, Lowe and Biega are all pretty capable; Pesce was considered one of the steals of the draft...given all of that, I would say we are doing pretty well.

what is the readiness of the Checkers' d-men? if they are not ready to make the move "to the big league, what does this say about the Canes' player development?

Maybe they're being asked to make a silk purse from a sow's ear?

Evaluating player development isn't exactly a science since we'll never know how well someone like Jamie McBain would have turned out if he had been drafted by, say, Detroit for example.

Fortunately, JR has a pretty decent record with his first rounders, which is the important thing.  I hope the additional revenue coming in will allow JR to pad the roster with smart free agent acquisitions and make it work.

Because I've been bored waiting on "something" to happen, I took a stab at rating our top-10 prospects.  The general rule is a player (forward, defenseman) that is under 24 and has played <65 NHL games is considered a prospect.  College players signing after they are 22 have 3 years to meet the 65 game rule before they are no longer considered a prospect.

1. C/RW Elias Lindholm

2. D Ryan Murphy

3. C Victor Rask

4. RW Zac Dalpe

5. LW Phillip Di Giuseppe

6. LW Brock McGinn

7. C Riley Nash

8. D Danny Biega

9. D Brett Pesce

10. D Keegan Lowe

Edited by coastal_caniac

1. C/RW Elias Lindholm

2. D Ryan Murphy

3. C Victor Rask

4. RW Zac Dalpe

6. LW Brock McGinn

7. C Riley Nash

8. D Danny Biega

9. D Brett Pesce

10. D Keegan Lowe

Lindholm will be rushed to the "big time".

I hope Murphy gets some time in Charlotte to be developed into a higher minute player with grown men.

I am hopeful that Rask develops into a serviceable NHLer.

Dalpe...nothing to see here, move along.

Of the rest, I think these guys all have a shot at eventually seeing some real time in the NHL.

Edited by super_dave_1

If it's possible, can we move some salary to Edmonton for Linus Omark's rights? If Omark signs for a decent price and still leaves us room for Morrow or Boyes, I'd be super happy. If Omark doesn't make a top-9 spot out of camp, he can go play in Switzerland for another year (and I believe not count against our cap). But he's really wanting to make the NHL full time, and I really like Omark and feel he might be pefect with Skinner (or horrible, but I'm being optimistic). I also think he'd be more of a contributor on an NHL team than Dalpe, Boychuk, Nash, Bowman, Blanchard, Palushaj, possibly even Gerbe. That will allow us to let Skinner play with Lindholm.

Tlusty - E - Semin

Morrow - J - Ruutu

Omark/Gerbe - Skinner/Lindholm - Lindholm/Skinner

Gerbe/Bowman - Nash/Sutter - Palushaj/Westgarth

I'm just trying to drown my hockey boredom, sorry if this annoys you. I just want JR to do something about that missing top 9 vet winger/address the complete failure in secondary scoring last season. I feel like this could do it :P It's not really possible thought, don't see Edmonton taking Pits back, and trading a D at this point is shooting ourselves in the foot. I can't see who of our forwards would be moveable and give us enough breathing room. Maybe if Morrow moves on and Boyes has no interest, then we can just give Omark a shot and we'd at least have tried to plug a hole with a good promising young forward who should score in a third line role.

Article in the N & O by Luke about Chad LaRose.

Apparently LaRose's silent exit is a mystery to Luke also.

"The odd circumstances of his exit are a strange and silent end to an unlikely and unexpected tenure with the Hurricanes" and "He leaves a mystery".

According to the article, in LaRose's draft year (he himself undrafted) the team invited 24 players to camp and of the 24 invitees, 2 had decent careers (Staal and Ward). LaRose was not invited. (We did invite and pass on Clarkson interestingly). Gives some idea of the likelihood of "developing" anyone not drafted in the first two rounds (in this case, 1/25 (Chad himself) 4%. 

I thought Luke summed up well the mid and back end of LaRose's career here with: (bold is mine)

"He'd go on to score 19 goals twice, make as much as $1.9 million a season and cement his position as a fan favorite for his size and fiery style of play. Yet he eventually became a polarizing figure among fans -  by so greatly exceeding expectations, he created new expectations that he could never meet."

Edited by remkin

Because I've been bored waiting on "something" to happen, I took a stab at rating our top-10 prospects.  The general rule is a player (forward, defenseman) that is under 24 and has played <65 NHL games is considered a prospect.  College players signing after they are 22 have 3 years to meet the 65 game rule before they are no longer considered a prospect.

1. C/RW Elias Lindholm

2. D Ryan Murphy

3. C Victor Rask

4. RW Zac Dalpe

6. LW Brock McGinn

7. C Riley Nash

8. D Danny Biega

9. D Brett Pesce

10. D Keegan Lowe

I know we don't necessarily agree on this, but I'd still move Nash up to right under Rask, and that is close to even.  DiGiuseppe has a lot of upside, but had a pretty rough year last year.  Can't argue with the rest though. 

Edited by remkin

"The odd circumstances of his exit are a strange and silent end to an unlikely and unexpected tenure with the Hurricanes" and "He leaves a mystery".

According to the article, in LaRose's draft year (he himself undrafted) the team invited 24 players to camp and of the 24 invitees, 2 had decent careers (Staal and Ward). LaRose was not invited. (We did invite and pass on Clarkson interestingly). Gives some idea of the likelihood of "developing" anyone not drafted in the first two rounds (in this case, 1/25 (Chad himself) 4%. 

I thought Luke summed up well the mid and back end of LaRose's career here with: (bold is mine)

"He'd go on to score 19 goals twice, make as much as $1.9 million a season and cement his position as a fan favorite for his size and fiery style of play. Yet he eventually became a polarizing figure among fans -  by so greatly exceeding expectations, he created new expectations that he could never meet."

It'll be strange not to have Mr. Motormouth around.  He was a cheerleader both on and off the ice.  But you know how JR rewards loyalty.  So until opening night without him, don't be surprised at anything.  It ain't over till it's over.

I know we don't necessarily agree on this, but I'd still move Nash up to right under Rask, and that is close to even.  DiGiuseppe has a lot of upside, but had a pretty rough year last year.  Can't argue with the rest though. 

Based on what I've seen, most around here would, and that's fine.  I had him lower because he's 24 and a 1st round draft pick.  That, and so far, he's shown nothing that would lead me to believe he's got a ceiling higher than a third liner.  So, I dropped him.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I read the LaRose story this morning and find it all very strange. I'm not sure what happened last season but whatever happened I don't think we will see LaRose in a Canes sweater again. I just remember it was LaRose that stepped up against Cowan after the Skinner hit. Maybe his time has come and gone with us but as far as I saw Rosey was the only one on the team that had the guts to step up for a teammate. Not  a fake hey do you want to fight  tonight request but a guy who was willing to give all he had for the team. It is a shame it is ending this way.

"It is a shame it is ending this way."  Confusing to me as well, as I don't know what "this way" is.  Don't know if anyone, other than Rosey, knows how or if it's over.  Time will tell.  But it is strange.

Edited by g105

I just remember it was LaRose that stepped up against Cowan after the Skinner hit. 

Wasn't that the hit where LaRose had given a Skinner a suicide pass that setup that horrific hit? If so, his standing up afterwards seems pretty moot since it's something he himself could have and should have prevented, and I think anyone in his position would've dropped the gloves just out of pure guilt more then anything.

My only issue with LaRose was that he was overpaid. The rest can be put on coaching staff and lack of talent/depth, more specifically his being put into a top 6 role when he's not a top 6 player.

Edit: Yep, that was the suicide pass hit.

Edited by Blinding

Ok if thats the way you see it. It was a bad pass but Skinner also put himself in that position. Nobody, nobody on the team but Rosey stepped up that time and other times Skins was hit. In todays world  I'm not sure LaRose was overpaid. Maybe he was but once a contract is signed its signed. The money becomes academic.

I won't argue that LaRose's time with the Canes has ended. I won't even make a case that he should be kept. The time to move on has come. But I will say that the way it ended stinks.

Ok if thats the way you see it. It was a bad pass but Skinner also put himself in that position. Nobody, nobody on the team but Rosey stepped up that time and other times Skins was hit. In todays world  I'm not sure LaRose was overpaid. Maybe he was but once a contract is signed its signed. The money becomes academic.

I won't argue that LaRose's time with the Canes has ended. I won't even make a case that he should be kept. The time to move on has come. But I will say that the way it ended stinks.

I totally agree.

Chad's career ended two years ago. His skill diminished and imo was of no value. He certainly couldn't score. Skipping the exit interview with JR didn't help as JR takes them seriously. If Chad cannot be reached he obviously knows his career is over and does not want to talk. Previous players who skipped exit interviews: David Tanabe, Joe Corvo, Peter Laviolette to name a few.

Did anyone go to the STH cook(in) they had at the arena just before the short

season started last year? They gave away prizes and about 6 players sat up

front and took Q/A from the fans.

Someone asked Chad what his future plans were (apparently aware he was in

the last year of his contract) I thought his answer was unusual. I expected to

hear something about hoping for a contract extension. But instead he said

"well I am hoping to someday work somewhere in the organization"--then he

chuckled and said something like he hoped someone up there was listening.

Does anyone else remember that?

Did anyone go to the STH cook(in) they had at the arena just before the short

season started last year? They gave away prizes and about 6 players sat up

front and took Q/A from the fans.

Someone asked Chad what his future plans were (apparently aware he was in

the last year of his contract) I thought his answer was unusual. I expected to

hear something about hoping for a contract extension. But instead he said

"well I am hoping to someday work somewhere in the organization"--then he

chuckled and said something like he hoped someone up there was listening.

Does anyone else remember that?

I remember that...it was super awkward. Rosey questions came up at the development camp too I think...and more awkwardness.