The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I remember being at a game against Boston several years ago. Rosey goaded Chara into a "fight" and they both got 5 for fighting. That is the Rosey we will miss.

Chad seems like a fairly straight shooter, and JR also seems like a straight shooter. It seemed pretty clear that Chad was no longer an NHL level player. I have to assume JR brought him in and told him he would not be picking him up. One wonders what happened after that.

The one thing I did like about Chad is that he may of been the best at goating a player into a penalty. I would of loved to been able to hear what he said at times to draw the penalty :rofl:

The one thing I did like about Chad is that he may of been the best at goating a player into a penalty. I would of loved to been able to hear what he said at times to draw the penalty :rofl:

I think the word may be "goading" not goating, but yea, I'll bet they were classic.

'

Sorry for the misspelling, Now that Chad has the time perhaps he can write a book of stories about his goading techniques he used over the years.

Sorry for the misspelling, Now that Chad has the time perhaps he can write a book of stories about his goading techniques he used over the years.

Quite likely that it'd make him more famous than his play on the ice would?

You know it's slow in the NHL when an article about LaRose leaving sparks up this much attention. I'm pretty sure most on these forums, at least the active members, already knew LaRose was gone. I remember there was discussion on this earlier in this thread.

Anyways, I liked some things about LaRose, but generally he was overpaid and overslotted constantly. Maybe Mo putting him in the top 6 constantly and the 1.9m per contract he had made him believe he was a top-6 caliber player, and maybe when Muller tried to bring him down to earth he responded badly.

Who knows what really happened, but I think with him being overslotted so much people lost track of what exactly his role was. He was an agitator, who's mission was to try and get players on the opposing team angry and into their heads to try and affect their play while playing well positionally and backchecking and jumping into the play when possible. Last season he certainly didn't seem like his feisty self, and he was a step behind the team the entire season. He wasn't chirping like he has his entire career and he seemed to be trying to be less energy more skill, which is hard when you don't have much skill.

I'm not trying to knock LaRose, just trying to establish and understanding that he was a bottom six winger who wasn't supposed to score, or even really hit, but get under guys skin. And I didn't really see that from him last season.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Chad's career ended two years ago. His skill diminished and imo was of no value. He certainly couldn't score. Skipping the exit interview with JR didn't help as JR takes them seriously. If Chad cannot be reached he obviously knows his career is over and does not want to talk. Previous players who skipped exit interviews: David Tanabe, Joe Corvo, Peter Laviolette to name a few.

I don't think Laviolette skipped the exit interview. i think that one was pretty well argued by both parties. Still haven't figured that one out yet.

Edited by winger52

I don't think Laviolette skipped the exit interview. i think that one was pretty well argued by both parties. Still haven't figured that one out yet.

Wait a second.  Maybe Lavy didn't skip his interview with JR.

But what I remember is Lavy blew off all the player exit interviews.  He was so distressed at the end of the season, he just chucked it all and didn't bother exit interviewing the players.

JR was -- well -- very angry. 

It's not that Chad is done. Most of us saw that coming. It's how he left. No exit interview, AND no one can find the guy for comment. I can't imagine he ends up back here given that. Plus, I doubt he leaves in that way unless someone told him he's not coming back.

That said, it IS EXREMELY slow and boring this time of year and there is not much to post about. Like watching paint that has already dried.

The long and short of the LaRose situation was that ultimately he and Muller didn't see eye to eye.  I think the respect was there (as evident by LaRose's play), but Muller correctly slotted LaRose as a third or fourth liner and Rosey didn't agree.  You throw that in with how Rosey was being paid in the Canes "slotted" system and you understand the difference of opinions.

LaRose's time with the Canes is up, but I am surprised that he hasn't signed with another team.  He has experience and has shown he can be productive from time to time.  I suppose he hasn't been offered enough money, the contract terms aren't right (one way), or possibly he has an injury that no one knows about.

I liked Wallace as a 4th line guy that is hard to play against.  Must be something behind the scenes that kept us from signing him.

I liked Wallace too. He seemed to play with a lot of heart. It became obvious early on we weren't going to sign a lot of our FA. If you want to change the culture and find players that better fit the system you have to change the roster.

I'm glad for Nodl. He wasn't going anywhere and after that hit he took a couple of seasons ago I thought his NHL days were numbered. Europe should give him a second chance to succeed.

I liked Wallace too. He seemed to play with a lot of heart. It became obvious early on we weren't going to sign a lot of our FA. If you want to change the culture and find players that better fit the system you have to change the roster.

I think he fit the system as long as it was a 4th line role.  He was often over slotted last year. 

I think he fit the system as long as it was a 4th line role.  He was often over slotted last year. 

Maybe but it was apparent early on we would not be interested in re-signing him.

That said, it IS EXREMELY slow and boring this time of year and there is not much to post about. Like watching paint that has already dried.

Yep----and we can't even watch excitedly for two days---the ice going down---

since it went down early for the camp !!

I'm just super thrilled that the very first pre-season game is at home and ON MY BIRTHDAY!! I'm getting seats as close to the ice as possible, it's not often that I can see hockey on my birthday.

So when are we signing Morrow again? :P

Edited by SuckaPunchd

...people lost track of what exactly his role was. He was an agitator, who's mission was to try and get players on the opposing team angry and into their heads to try and affect their play while playing well positionally and backchecking and jumping into the play when possible. Last season he certainly didn't seem like his feisty self, and he was a step behind the team the entire season. He wasn't chirping like he has his entire career and he seemed to be trying to be less energy more skill, which is hard when you don't have much skill.

It has been several years since Rosey played the role of agitator.  Once he signed the big(ish) contract, he stopped playing like the pest and started playing like the skilled player with little skill.  I have always said that if they kept stats on goalies hit in the logo with a shot, Rosey would lead the league.

It has been several years since Rosey played the role of agitator.  Once he signed the big(ish) contract, he stopped playing like the pest and started playing like the skilled player with little skill.  I have always said that if they kept stats on goalies hit in the logo with a shot, Rosey would lead the league.

Yeah, but up until last season even when failing at being a skill guy at least he still had a big mouth on the ice. Now he's not an agitator, not an energy guy, and certainly not a skill guy.

I can't help but think if he were on the ice next season and tried running his mouth as he used to, he'd just get laughed at and instead of agitate he'd become agitated and feed energy to the other team. A la Cowen fight. I know he wanted to stand up for Skinner, and I know he felt bad putting him in that position somewhat with his pass, but if he has no way whatsoever of even landing a punch, let your enforcer take him on in a later shift. 

A la Cowen fight. I know he wanted to stand up for Skinner, and I know he felt bad putting him in that position somewhat with his pass, but if he has no way whatsoever of even landing a punch, let your enforcer take him on in a later shift. 

Wow just wow... a guy giving up all that height and tons of weight comes to the aid of a star player who has just been laid out by a nasty hit and you jump on him for not landing a punch. Maybe I'm old school but after that hit Cowen should have been surrounded by Hurricane sweaters. Instead only Rosey steps up. Give LaRose some hockey love for having the guts to go after Cowen in spite of the odds.

LaRose has been part of this team for a decade and has had to fight for every minute of his ice time. He has skated above his pay grade and scored 19 goals. He has done everything asked of him and probable defines what was once our spirited hockey team. Ok his time has come and gone but give the guy some credit.

LaRose, on the record - Luke DeCock

"I had no issues with anybody. It was my own play. I’m accountable for myself. When the team doesn’t do well, I take it upon myself, to be honest with you. I'm accountable for everything. Not having a good season, not making playoffs -- that’s on me."

Wow just wow... a guy giving up all that height and tons of weight comes to the aid of a star player who has just been laid out by a nasty hit and you jump on him for not landing a punch. Maybe I'm old school but after that hit Cowen should have been surrounded by Hurricane sweaters. Instead only Rosey steps up. Give LaRose some hockey love for having the guts to go after Cowen in spite of the odds.

LaRose has been part of this team for a decade and has had to fight for every minute of his ice time. He has skated above his pay grade and scored 19 goals. He has done everything asked of him and probable defines what was once our spirited hockey team. Ok his time has come and gone but give the guy some credit.

Yes, Cowen should have been swarmed. But he wasn't, and LaRose gave the Senators even more momentum/energy when he attempted to fight with him. There are certain situations where the emotional response isn't the right one. He fought in spite of the odds, knowing he'd lose, and it didn't help the team or Skinner at all.

LaRose sure has guts, he even tried to fight Chara. But we need someone who doesn't just try to fight people and get knocked around. Who does that help? The other team. I'm sure home town fans are going to get louder and happier when they see their guy fight and win, especially against a smaller guy on the 'Canes. And when we are at home, we certainly don't want to have to watch a smaller guy get beaten up by someone two times the size. We need someone who can legitimately scare other players on the opposing team. That way, hits like the one Cowen dished on Skinner won't be as common an occurrence. 

I also disagree, LaRose had to fight for ice time his first two years, once the fans fell in love he was given ice-time, way too much ice-time, which inevitably led to his exit this year because he was constantly put in a position where he wouldn't succeed. If we just left him on the third line for the past few years he'd be much more attractive as a player to have on your team.

Edited by SuckaPunchd