The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Okay, I'm going out on a limb and hoping the golden boy will salvage the 2008 draft.  He was the 45th pick.  Really, it would be nice to see just one of these guys break out. The 14th pick in that draft has disappointed.  Jordan got a few games, but really.  Mike Murphy?

Dalpe can handle himself in NHL traffic.  I've seen it.

He's my surprise player in camp.  

Dalpe's a big kid who might look nice beside Jordan Staal and Ruutu. 

It would seem that never since he was given the mantle a couple of years ago in camp, will Dalpe have a better shot than ever, and than most prospects. Especially if JR can't make any more moves.

When I look at the AHL things look pretty thin. Of all the guys sitting in waiting, Dalpe seems to give the best argument for a shot. By process of elimination (no one else has grabbed it, Bowman? Uh, not yet), and because he put up decent numbers across the board in the AHL.

Dalpe last year: .78 ppg, .39 goals per game. 63 points and 32 goals over a hypothetical 82 games. Yes it's the AHL, but then we are not asking him to do that in the NHL either. 

Also, it seems to be the mantra that young AHL forwards must back check and play decent defense before they get much of a run in the NHL. This might explain Bowman's run of games with almost no production. Well Dalpe led the Checkers with a +16 plus minus. 

The numbers warrant a real shot at the NHL. (Though he had a rough 5 games in the playoffs).

And then there's the fairly thin competition:

Boychuck still has the best numbers in the group. .88 ppg, and .38 gg. plus 8. Almost as much of an enigma as Dalpe. The guy put up 6 points in 5 playoff games, and his AHL numbers would average nearly 40 goals over an 82 game season. 

But the transition to the NHL has not been kind. He's been brought up more times than I can remember, and last year was passed around the NHL like a Christmas fruitcake. Finally landing....back in the AHL. His raw production in the AHL might buy him one more shot, but even then he would need a major breakout in production to stick. Boychuk is not getting a Bowman like 100 NHL games without producing. They sometimes say about a guy, "there's just something good about him", here it just seems that there's something not quite happening at the NHL level.

Welsh: Just not putting up numbers. I know, I know, let's all agree it's not all about numbers, and he could still end up as a 4th line center due to size, but .38 ppg and minus 9 is not dislodging Nash.

Jared Staal is a name that keeps coming up and again, if numbers don't matter, maybe, but .13 ppg, 6 total goals....this guy has had trouble making the AHL. 

V. Rask: a prime prospect because he is younger and earlier in his career. He has put up nice numbers in Juniors, but not OMG numbers. He only had 10 AHL games put up 1 goal, 5 points. I just see him needing some Checker time before getting a shot.

So of all of those, Dalpe sure seems to deserve the shot. 

When we look at what we need. A third liner to put up some goals and play some defense, or a 2a liner, filling that need from Charlotte would be big. Also, it would be nice for one of those guys to arrive. It does seem that Dalpe could fill that role.

Betting on Dalpe is a decent bet. 

Edited by remkin

It would seem that never since he was given the mantle a couple of years ago in camp, will Dalpe have a better shot than ever, and than most prospects. Especially if JR can't make any more moves.

When I look at the AHL things look pretty thin. Of all the guys sitting in waiting, Dalpe seems to give the best argument for a shot. By process of elimination (no one else has grabbed it, Bowman? Uh, not yet), and because he put up decent numbers across the board in the AHL.

Dalpe last year: .78 ppg, .39 goals per game. 63 points and 32 goals over a hypothetical 82 games. Yes it's the AHL, but then we are not asking him to do that in the NHL either. 

Also, it seems to be the mantra that young AHL forwards must back check and play decent defense before they get much of a run in the NHL. This might explain Bowman's run of games with almost no production. Well Dalpe led the Checkers with a +16 plus minus. 

The numbers warrant a real shot at the NHL. (Though he had a rough 5 games in the playoffs).

And then there's the fairly thin competition:

Boychuck still has the best numbers in the group. .88 ppg, and .38 gg. plus 8. Almost as much of an enigma as Dalpe. The guy put up 6 points in 5 playoff games, and his AHL numbers would average nearly 40 goals over an 82 game season. 

But the transition to the NHL has not been kind. He's been brought up more times than I can remember, and last year was passed around the NHL like a Christmas fruitcake. Finally landing....back in the AHL. His raw production in the AHL might buy him one more shot, but even then he would need a major breakout in production to stick. Boychuk is not getting a Bowman like 100 NHL games without producing. They sometimes say about a guy, "there's just something good about him", here it just seems that there's something not quite happening at the NHL level.

Welsh: Just not putting up numbers. I know, I know, let's all agree it's not all about numbers, and he could still end up as a 4th line center due to size, but .38 ppg and minus 9 is not dislodging Nash.

Jared Staal is a name that keeps coming up and again, if numbers don't matter, maybe, but .13 ppg, 6 total goals....this guy has had trouble making the AHL. 

V. Rask: a prime prospect because he is younger and earlier in his career. He has put up nice numbers in Juniors, but not OMG numbers. He only had 10 AHL games put up 1 goal, 5 points. I just see him needing some Checker time before getting a shot.

So of all of those, Dalpe sure seems to deserve the shot. 

When we look at what we need. A third liner to put up some goals and play some defense, or a 2a liner, filling that need from Charlotte would be big. Also, it would be nice for one of those guys to arrive. It does seem that Dalpe could fill that role.

Betting on Dalpe is a decent bet. 

When it comes to upside...

Dalpe > Bowman

Camp will be interesting, for sure...seeing Dalpe on the 2d line and Bowman on the 3rd could be a real possibility. Skinner could center Bowman and Lindholm and Nash could center the 4th line with Welsh and Dwyer. I'd have some concern defensively with the 3rd line but man, they could also be a very fast and dangerous group.

The difference with Rask is the he is better than Dalpe offensively and better than Bowman defensively....some more time in the AHL would probably be beneficial, but Rask is underrated as a prospect.

That being said, I think Dalpe will be nearly a full-time NHLer this season and I think he will do well!

I also think Dalpe deserves a real look but don't think he fits in the top lines. As much as I wasn't thrilled with the Gerbe signing(due to wanting more((Morrow)), I pick Gerbe as the Canes suprise this year. If his back is healthy after the surgery, I think he is going to be determined to prove people wrong. Gerbe is fast, has great hands and can score. Pending additional signings, I'd like to see this lineup have a shot.

Tlusty              Staal                Semin

Skinner            Staal                Ruutu

Gerbe               Nash               Lindholm

Palushaj           Dalpe              Dwyer

Tlusty Staal Semin

Morrow Staal Ruutu

Gerbe Skinner Lindholm

Dalpe Nash Dwyer

First line: high octane turbo offense

2a:  pounding, gritty, hard to play against, but TWO way: everyone on that line can score, and beat you up

2b:  pure offense (though Lidholm can back check). Try to stop us w/ your bottom pair defense.

4: Fast, tenacious but stealthily skillful. Will put up some bonus points.

The only real question mark outside of health, is Lidholm ready to play on the third line? If he is, how do you stop those forwards?

Edited by remkin

To Remkin: Your pairs are exactly what I would like to see, the only difference is the lack of Morrow. Oh, what a difference one player could make!!! Is he in Raleigh yet?? :yawn:

The big question with those lines is where does Welsh fit in?  Will we send him down and risk a waiver pick up from another team?  The kid has to play somewhere to keep improving, with the logjam at center with Nash looking pretty good, Lindholm, Staal, Staal, and Rask along with the possibility of both Dalpe and Skinner maybe getting a look, Welsh is going to have to play on the wing.  As the contracts go, guys like Gerbe and Dalpe are really going to have to impress to make the opening day roster...with 2 way deals, they are movable pieces.  I still think there is a move or two to be made and it might take a week or so of camp evaluations to see where everyone is and how much work they put in over the summer. 

I get that Welsh is a big body and everybody loves those. But I have just not seen it from him yet. Sometimes the bigger guys take longer, but he is 25 years old (Tlusty's age). I have know way of knowing, but I doubt he gets picked up off waivers. It's not like he's put up big numbers to grab a GM's attention.

I've seen some skill from Nash. i don't have a huge problem starting Welsh off centering line 4 if he looks good in camp and will hit people, but on skill I give it to Nash and take my chances with Welsh getting picked up.

I get that Welsh is a big body and everybody loves those. But I have just not seen it from him yet. Sometimes the bigger guys take longer, but he is 25 years old (Tlusty's age). I have know way of knowing, but I doubt he gets picked up off waivers. It's not like he's put up big numbers to grab a GM's attention.

I've seen some skill from Nash. i don't have a huge problem starting Welsh off centering line 4 if he looks good in camp and will hit people, but on skill I give it to Nash and take my chances with Welsh getting picked up.

I hear ya...Welsh with a 1 way has been an odd one for me to comprehend, then again Peters has a 1 way deal this year as well and we know for certain he is not starting the season with the big boys.  I think Nash had a really good run and should remain on the team either on the 3rd or 4th line.  He gives us a right handed option in the faceoff circle as well.  We will see very soon who put in the off season work and is ready to push for a spot. 

I was impressed with Nash last year and also think he will improve based on the experience. We can't force fit a player based on his contract as it serves no purpose. I would be thrilled if Welsh, Rask, Palushaj,Gerbe,Dalpe, Dwyer,Lindholm all had great camps and make the decisions even mor difficult. This will only mean more diversity and interchangeable parts for when injuries occur. We all know they will occur. I think this team as is can cause some real damage as it is much impoved. The improved defense will also take some pressure off the forwards who are lacking in their defensive skills. Let's not forget that are goal tending appears to be solid as Cam is going to be pushed hard. It is the first time in years that I feel comfortable with our back-up goalie.I may be an optimist but I believe eveyone is going to come into camp in great shape with alot to prove. The competition will be fierce which is what we want for the team. Don't be suprised if we see a brawl or two in camp this year. Can't wait for the puck to drop......but still hoping for a Morrow/Boyes or Raymond signing.

I don't believe he would be picked up either. Teams are still struggling to sign RFA's and meet CAP limits.

Pete-dawg can have all the one-ways he wants this season...no other team will pick him up off of waivers...

The big question with those lines is where does Welsh fit in?  Will we send him down and risk a waiver pick up from another team?  The kid has to play somewhere to keep improving, with the logjam at center with Nash looking pretty good, Lindholm, Staal, Staal, and Rask along with the possibility of both Dalpe and Skinner maybe getting a look, Welsh is going to have to play on the wing.  As the contracts go, guys like Gerbe and Dalpe are really going to have to impress to make the opening day roster...with 2 way deals, they are movable pieces.  I still think there is a move or two to be made and it might take a week or so of camp evaluations to see where everyone is and how much work they put in over the summer. 

Whether the contract is one or two way isn't what affects waiver eligibility, it only affects what the payer will be paid if he is sent down. If I filled in the numbers correctly at capgeek (and thankfully they do try to make it simple), both Nash and Welsh are waiver exempt, but Dalpe, Gerbe and Peters are not.

I think the only person to worry about leaving us via waivers is Dalpe, we signed Gerbe dirt cheap because no one else wanted to take his risk to begin with. If he's bad enough we're having to send him down I think he'll go through with no issues.

I also won't lose sleep if Welsh goes on waivers again if he's doing that bad to go on waivers why would any one else want a 25 year old with 5 NHL games under his belt.

Locks at forward-

Staal, Staal, Semin, Tlusty, Ruutu, Skinner, Dwyer, Westgarth,

Others on One Ways-

Bowman, Welsh

The Lindholm Factor-

Lindholm

The Other Guys-

Dalpe, Nash, Rask, Gerbe, Palushaj, etc.

If we add another vet to the bottom six, Dalpe better bring his A game to camp.  Well, he needs to bring it anyway, but as mentioned above, he's on waivers if he can't make the team out of camp.

Edited by coastal_caniac

That's a good article...I still think that with the 1-way, Welsh has the inside track to make the roster on the 4th line either as a center or RW.  It also wouldn't surprise me to have the organization pump him up a bit during camp and see what they may be able to get via trade if they don't think he is full time NHL ready. 

Well, most exciting thing I can say today is that its only 51 days to puck drop vs Red Wings! Aside from that, no ID of mystery man, still unsure about bottom 6 and fall-like weather is upon us! When is Camp Brindy in session, and who will head it? Weighty matters thats for sure.

Is interesting. Reinforces that especially Dalpe might have an inside track. 

The other trick to waivers is that the team picking the guy up must keep him on their NHL roster. So it would really seem unlikely that anyone would pick up most of the guys we are considering sending down.

That said, it does make Murphy's natural move to the AHL to start since he does not have to clear waivers, and we have 6 guys signed back there. I still think he ends up in the NHL more than not, but until we see our power play sputtering, he might not start w/ the club. I am out there on a limb that he sticks. But I'm staying with it. Just too much offensive talent for a d corp with not enough of it. Can't say I'd bet the house on it though.

Edited by remkin

Is interesting. Reinforces that especially Dalpe might have an inside track. 

The other trick to waivers is that the team picking the guy up must keep him on their NHL roster. So it would really seem unlikely that anyone would pick up most of the guys we are considering sending down.

That said, it does make Murphy's natural move to the AHL to start since he does not have to clear waivers, and we have 6 guys signed back there. I still think he ends up in the NHL more than not, but until we see our power play sputtering, he might not start w/ the club. I am out there on a limb that he sticks. But I'm staying with it. Just too much offensive talent for a d corp with not enough of it. Can't say I'd bet the house on it though.

unless he forces there hand in training camp.  I didn't go to any of the prospect camp sessions but it is my understanding that he and Tochinsky really impressed as did McGinn.

Here's Bleacher Reports assessment of player's trying to make the 4th line for the Canes. It'll help you with the Summer doldrums!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1737237-carolina-hurricanes-which-fourth-line-players-will-make-team-in-training-camp

That is an interesting slide show, and I agree with most of it. I also agree with this being the Summer doldrums. 

It's worth reading each player's assessment and their estimation of each's chances of making the team, but I found a few interesting enough to highlight:

1. Dalpe:"... he did quietly register the No. 1 Corsi rating on the team with a 17.94 mark. We believe 2013-14 will, at last, be the season this 23-year-old former second-round pick lives up to expectations. He has a decent shot at playing on the same line as Jeff Skinner, with whom he has historically shown excellent chemistry.

Odds of Making the Team: 65 percent. 

2. Gerbe: 40%. Probably true: it's third line or bust at his size. 

3. Nash:  80%. YES, some Nash love besides me (and a few others around here). Very glowing on Nash.

4. Palushaj: 75%. First, going to have to call him Palu or something because cannot spell that. But great insight into a guy that I don't known at all. Sounds like a very solid 4th liner.

5. Westgarth: some excellent points about our pylon who occasionally fights and less often wins them. 

6. Welsh: not so good so far.

Anyway some other good points about a lot of prospects and hopefuls in there.

I am thinking that sans Morrow type move, we end up with a bottom six: 

Dalpe-Nash-Lindolm

Palu-Welsh-Westgarth

With Gerbe slipping into the Dalpe spot as a possibility. And Dalpe could slide to the 4th if that happens.

Of course that all changes if there is another move.

That is an interesting slide show, and I agree with most of it. I also agree with this being the Summer doldrums. 

It's worth reading each player's assessment and their estimation of each's chances of making the team, but I found a few interesting enough to highlight:

1. Dalpe:"... he did quietly register the No. 1 Corsi rating on the team with a 17.94 mark. We believe 2013-14 will, at last, be the season this 23-year-old former second-round pick lives up to expectations. He has a decent shot at playing on the same line as Jeff Skinner, with whom he has historically shown excellent chemistry.

Odds of Making the Team: 65 percent. 

2. Gerbe: 40%. Probably true: it's third line or bust at his size. 

3. Nash:  80%. YES, some Nash love besides me (and a few others around here). Very glowing on Nash.

4. Palushaj: 75%. First, going to have to call him Palu or something because cannot spell that. But great insight into a guy that I don't known at all. Sounds like a very solid 4th liner.

5. Westgarth: some excellent points about our pylon who occasionally fights and less often wins them. 

6. Welsh: not so good so far.

Anyway some other good points about a lot of prospects and hopefuls in there.

I am thinking that sans Morrow type move, we end up with a bottom six: 

Dalpe-Nash-Lindolm

Palu-Welsh-Westgarth

With Gerbe slipping into the Dalpe spot as a possibility. And Dalpe could slide to the 4th if that happens.

Of course that all changes if there is another move.

If JR doesn't add anybody else, ie: Morrow, we could see Dalpe, Gerbe, and Dwyer fighting for Top 9 spots ... maybe one of the three will be a healthy extra.

Dang I forgot Dwyer. 

Well, then it makes more sense to let Welsh face waivers and drop Nash down to 4th line to start.

It's obvious that we don't have the personnel to be a big physical team so we might as well be difficult to play against by skating our opponents into the ground with four hard charging lines, similar to 2005-06.

Forward Lines:

Tlusty / E. Staal / Semin

Rask / J. Staal / Ruutu

Skinner / Lindholm / Dalpe

Palushaj / Nash / Dwyer

Westgarth

Defensive Pairings:

Pitkanen / Faulk

Sekera / Gleason

Harrison / Murphy

Komisarek

Power Play:

Tlusty / E. Staal / Semin

Pitkanen / Faulk

Skinner / J. Staal / Ruutu

Sekera / Murphy

Penalty Kill:

J. Staal / Palushaj

Gleason / Faulk

Nash / Dwyer

Harrison / Sekera

They can all skate!  Run and gun our opponents! It would be fun to watch!!!!