The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

As a note, I believe Jokinen was a healthy scratch for tonight's game (Pens vs. Isles) unless he was injured.

Can we take him back?

Two words: POWER PLAY!

Well you'd think one of those two new dmen would be able to contribute to the powerplay. Plus Murphy is probably going to get a look and turn into our main PP QB.

given his track record with the Canes would another NHL team be interested in the guy?  he seems to be a decent guy.  hope he has an education to fall back on.

I think a guy like Peters would be an attractive player for struggling AHL teams.  He has a fantastic AHL career.  I think he'll be just fine if we let him go... plus there is always the KHL.

We suspect Dalpe and Murphy have a chance to make the Canes Roster next season. Paul Branecky pointed out Brett Bellemore, Nicolas Blanchard, Brett Sutter and Tim Wallace as possibilities.

gocheckers.com

I think Sutter deserves a good look and Bellemore looked decent in his short time with us. Blanchard brought some energy as did Wallace but honestly I can't see us adding more than maybe 3 Chex to the roster next season. Still something to think about.

Except I'm not suggesting Cam is a bad goaltender, rather that his pay is a bit inflated. 

Yeap we certainly beat this topic to death on the "2013 Great Goalie Discussion" thread this year.

The reasonable conclusions, IMO, fell out as follows:

1) Cam is a good #1 NHL goalie... but in NO WAY is he an "elite" (top-5) NHL goaltender. If we need proof we can pull out the NHL poll of top-8 goalies --- with a panel of 15+ experts -- not a single expert ranked Cam in the top-8! 

2) Its good the Canes have Cam... he's likely the 12-18th best goalie in the NHL and that's a plus for the Canes

3) Cam Ward is somewhat overpaid when you compare him to other #1 goalies and several "elite" ones as well. This we can blame on JR.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Well, rather than it be a crypt in here, I thought I'd throw down.

Victor Rask may be our most promising offensive prospect given neither Dalpe or Bownan are looking like they have the ceiling to nail down a scoring role on the team.

PPG game guy both years with the Hitmen and he had 5 points in 10 games in Charlotte.  I'm excited to see him full time in Charlotte this year.

Well, rather than it be a crypt in here, I thought I'd throw down.

Victor Rask may be our most promising offensive prospect given neither Dalpe or Bownan are looking like they have the ceiling to nail down a scoring role on the team.

PPG game guy both years with the Hitmen and he had 5 points in 10 games in Charlotte.  I'm excited to see him full time in Charlotte this year.

I haven't given up on Bowman or Dalpe yet. I'm not sure Bowman won't be part of a trade. He looked so promising two seasons ago and he has a wicked shot. Yet he underperformed this season. With the changes we are expected to make on 3rd and 4th line Bowman may be on the outside looking in.

Dalpe wasn't that bad but I think this will be the season he either makes it or not. I'm  not sure he will get the chance.

Rask has been off my radar but I think you are correct that he might be our most promising offensive prospect. A full year in the AHL should give us a clue.  I'm thinking future 3rd line center?

I've been saying for a long time that certain guys need a longer simmer before they find their NHL game. Tlusty is a prime example, and there are many others. 

THAT SAID, most prospects never really make in the NHL for whatever reason and at some point that becomes pretty clear.

We all know that Boychuk has bounced up and down and all around the NHL/AHL carousel, and who really thinks he will suddenly find his game? 

Dalpe was drafted the same year as Boychuk. Sure Boychuk was a mid first rounder, but they are in the same draft class. 

Our great forward prospects of that era were: Boychuk, Dalpe, and Bowman (Bowman being a 3rd rounder a year before Dalpe and Boychuk). (In fairness in 2007 we picked Brandon Sutter first round). 

Anyway, after trades and ups and downs that range of prospects really tended to group Boychuk, Bowman, and Dalpe.

NHL Point Production:

Boychuk:  .24 PPG   85 NHL games

Bowman: .20 PPG   106 NHL games

Dalpe:      .24 PPG     41 NHL games

Pat Dwyer, the quintessential does every thing but score otherwise total package has averaged .22 PPG over his career (though he did step up to .35 ppt this past year).

Riley Nash has put up .27 ppg (but IMHO looked better doing it than any of the three mentioned).

So my point was going to be it's time to move on to the next group typified by Rask. But then I looked at Tlusty.

Tlusty's first 150 NHL games: .25 PPG. (Tlusty was 2 years ahead of Boychuk and Dalpe and one ahead of Bowman).

Tlusty's last 126 games: .58 ppg

Tlusty's last season: .79 ppg.

So I guess it's still possible for those guys. But I'm just not sure I see it. 

I like what I've seen from Nash, and I'd keep him. But I'm not seeing it from the trio mentioned. Of the three, Dalpe is the one that I would like to see more of. But for whatever reason, presumably defensive, Dalpe's chances seem to always be brief and done.

Edited by remkin

Some guys need a change of scenery with a team that can afford to give them that experience. I wouldn't mind swapping prospects at this point and moving on from this group. I know another team likely has someone their ready to throw the towel in on and wouldn't mind a straight up trade.

Well considering the way we develop our forward prospects is force them to play a backchecking, defensive-first game. Then once they seem to have developed a decent backcheck and plays well in their own zone they throw that prospect more ice-time with some better players. During that period, we tell them to now balance the defensive play with their offensive play. Tlusty has stated this several times in multiple interviews, that the team emphasized defense-first play, and once he got that down they started giving him chances with better linemates and now he's a top line winger lock. 

However, just because it worked for Tlusty doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. I still have high hopes for Dalpe and Bowman, they aren't too bad on their backcheck, and both has a decent shot. I think of the three between Bowman, Boychuk, and Dalpe, Dalpe's the most likely to come out of that process successful.

Boychuk should be an amazing grinder if he's not capable of scoring in the NHL, he's got some serious speed. I don't understand what Boychuk does in the NHL, because he doesn't score and cannot hit, and I haven't seen him make a defensive play ever.

Bowman is the most well along out of the three, this season was his non-scoring hone your defense skills season for him. Next year, if he is retained, look for a similar season to Tlusty's season before this past year, where he found some mojo with Eric. Now we'll see (again, if he sticks around) if he can start scoring.

Again, even though it worked for Tlusty doesn't mean it'll work for these guys. We'll see though.

1) Learn how to be defensively responsible as a forward in the NHL, assimilate to speed and strength.

2) Promote ice time, see how they fare against better competition. If they do good, give some PK time.

3) If they completed 1, and excel at 2, and if the roster allows it, give player ice time with more offensively minded line mates. Hope scoring comes through.

4a) If scoring comes through, player earns cemented spot in lineup,  maybe powerplay time. Improved ice-time and two-way role on team.

4b) If scoring doesn't come through, place player in a defensive role again, allow offense to develop over time.

4c) If scoring doesn't come through, and the player cannot handle higher competition, give up on player.

This is pretty much based on Tlusty's emergence. It seems like the organization likes to develop their prospects in this way. There are exceptions, like say Skinner, who was pure offense and had so much creativity that his offensive play alone gave him ice-time. Of course, this doesn't happen too often.

Some guys need a change of scenery with a team that can afford to give them that experience. I wouldn't mind swapping prospects at this point and moving on from this group. I know another team likely has someone their ready to throw the towel in on and wouldn't mind a straight up trade.

Boychuk got a lot of changes of scenery. (Couldn't resist)  :grin: .

But actually I think you're right. Not sure why that doesn't happen more actually. 

Definitely worked out for us with Tlusty.

When Bowman learns to stop in front of the opponent's goal, and pay the price, rather than cruise on by he'll be an NHL forward.  That and a little more umph on the wall.  He's a big body and can play that game, but doesn't.

I don't think Boychuk will ever be an effective NHL player. He's just too weak and doesn't seem to want to get dirty. I don't think that will change if it hasn't by now.

Bowman showed some real hustle last year but he is too one-dimensional. He can rush up ice and shoot, but that is about it. What he really needs to work on IMO is stick-handling and creativity. He needs to move laterally to improve shooting angles/position, and go to the net. If he could learn to play in traffic then he may have chance. I also think his vision/passing needs work. In other words he has a long way to go IMO.

I think Dalpe has the best chance to be an effective player next year. What he has lacked is the "want to" that Bowman showed this season. If he could combine the effort along with the skill/vision he showed at the end of this season, I think he could be good. If he brings the effort, I want to see him get a real opportunity rather than the up and down BS we saw the last couple seasons.

Edited by Kyrule

Was reading through the reactions of the Ducks fans after they were eliminated, some are saying that Allen and Sbisa need to go for next season. Ironic considering how JR said we miss Allen. Probably just gut reactions to a disappointing loss but still interesting.

Edited by Kyrule

Was reading through the reactions of the Ducks fans after they were eliminated, some are saying that Allen and Sbisa need to go for next season. Ironic considering how JR said we miss Allen. Probably just gut reactions to a disappointing loss but still interesting.

JR likes to recycle.  You never know.

The fact that the Wings wins the series just continues their story of how impressive that organization is.  You don't have to like them to recognize that they have something going.  JR writes a letter to our STHers about how the team is ready to go deep in the playoffs.  The Wings Just Do It.

I don't understand why folks are so high on Allen.  Yes, he was a shot-blocking machine, but he routinely was either:

a. caught out of position (a la McBain) and burned on a cheap goal

b. took a stupid penalty, leading to a PPG

The D-man we really should've kept was Seidenberg...I will never understand the logic behind dumping him.

Reports at the time had Seidenberg asking for a 3-year contract at about 3-mil per season.  Quite frankly, until the latter part of the last season Seids was with the Canes, he really hadn't done anything to justify that asking price.  And that probably explains why he wasn't signed until two weeks prior to training camp by the Panthers.

Seidenburg never really put it all together until he was paired with Chara in Boston.  So, looking back, it's not like they just dumped him.

A lot of dmen look really good paired with Chara. One Aaron Ward comes to mind. We got him back and it didn't work out so great.

Just say no to the recycle, especially on defense. Not like we've had a bunch of All World Dmen.

A lot of dmen look really good paired with Chara. One Aaron Ward comes to mind. We got him back and it didn't work out so great.

Just say no to the recycle, especially on defense. Not like we've had a bunch of All World Dmen.

I totally agree with this. Chara is a beast. How I wish we had 1 defenseman like that that teams had to scramble to get their top scorer away from.

I totally agree with this. Chara is a beast. How I wish we had 1 defenseman like that that teams had to scramble to get their top scorer away from.

We tried to, but couldn't match Minnesoooooota's exorbitant price tag when they signed Ryan Suter

I don't understand why folks are so high on Allen.  Yes, he was a shot-blocking machine, but he routinely was either:

a. caught out of position (a la McBain) and burned on a cheap goal

b. took a stupid penalty, leading to a PPG

The D-man we really should've kept was Seidenberg...I will never understand the logic behind dumping him.

I'm in total agreement. When Allen was here, a lot of people said he was slow, took bad penalties, and should have been more physical. Now that he's gone, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We need some good solid D men, but I hope JR looks for some young guys that can help for the long haul.

I'm in total agreement. When Allen was here, a lot of people said he was slow, took bad penalties, and should have been more physical. Now that he's gone, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We need some good solid D men, but I hope JR looks for some young guys that can help for the long haul.

Just to clarify, I was only pointing out that while JR talked about missing Allen, the Duck's fans were saying that he needs to be moved in the off season. I didn't mean for him to come here. I am tired of recycling players, and I agree with what is being said about Allen's time here. He was OK but inconsistent, and I would rather bring in some new players.

Chara, well u hate him playing against you, love him if hes on your team... Im curious what we will do with Piks, he has had the injuries, not sure if he is a trading chip..JR, U NEED to get the boys into the playoff this coming year,  6 of last 7 years sitting at home, i like ya Jr, but the times ticking..

When Bowman learns to stop in front of the opponent's goal, and pay the price, rather than cruise on by he'll be an NHL forward.  That and a little more umph on the wall.  He's a big body and can play that game, but doesn't.

Spot on, hes a big guy, plays too   wimpy..

Just to clarify, I was only pointing out that while JR talked about missing Allen, the Duck's fans were saying that he needs to be moved in the off season. I didn't mean for him to come here. I am tired of recycling players, and I agree with what is being said about Allen's time here. He was OK but inconsistent, and I would rather bring in some new players.

Sorry, I may have started that.  I was "just sayin'" that JR likes to recycle.  Not that we need Allen. 

Honestly, I don't know right now.  I'm not a GM and am just finally starting to grasp the idea of defensive play after watching this NHL team closely for the last 12 years.  Still learning.  I have no idea who we need.

The A. Ward mention above is a very good point.  Although every player has their individual assets, their team play is a complex but important point.  Nobody plays in a vacuum.

First thing to do is learn how to scout players like the Red Wings do. The Wings have been to the playoffs 21 straight years and still counting. That did not happen by recycling players. If you can't play to the team standards, you go play somewhere else. I would bet that every player has clear understanding of the quality of play that they need to achieve, and that there is a long line of former Wings willing to mentor them and help them achieve those standards. Meet or exceed these or be gone, and understand the team is willing to trade anybody not up to standard. Check out the player turnover.