The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

One other thing, has everyone just forgotten about Bowman?  He does have a one-way contract.

I just don't know for sure what to make of Bowman. He really seemed to take a step backwards last year. Might have been the way he was being used or just the team being down, but oddly he played the exact same number of games the year before:

2011-12: 37 games: 6 g, 7 a, 13 pts  +2 (3rd best on the team)

2012-13: 37 games: 3 g, 2a,   5  pts  -7  (28th on the the team)

He is fairly responsible positionally, and he has a tricky wrist shot, but we need more points, or some points. 5 points in 37 games? 

That is almost exactly the per game production of Kevin "Zamboni" Westgarth.

But get this, Westgarth had HALF the ice time that Bowman had.

As with Dalpe and even Boychuk, I keep hope alive for this band of prospects (I still see Bowman that way). And like those other two, at some point Bowman is going to have to produce more. I have to think the sun is setting on all of their chances and it's getting pretty close to the horizon. Now...would be the time is what I guess I'm saying.

Edited by remkin

Bowman's mostly been used as a grinder because he's pretty good defensively but just hasn't found any offense.  I wouldn't call him a ? though, like Dalpe and Boychuk.  He's shown he can grind.  He is a head-scratcher.

I'd be willing to bet Muller isn't going to be playing around at camp.  I'd come in shape and ready to go.

Edited by coastal_caniac

A head scratcher is a pretty good description of Bowman. You get the feeling he has a lot more offensive upside then he is showing. Maybe it is the role he has been asked to play or maybe he hasn't broken out yet. I like his speed and his shot when he uses it. I wouldn't call him a lock for a spot. The bottom 6 need to change and he could find himself without a spot.

I'd be willing to bet Muller isn't going to be playing around at camp.  I'd come in shape and ready to go.

I've got to believe that competition amongst the prospects is going to be at a ridiculous intensity level. Boychuk has to know this is likely his last shot.  Sounds like Gerbe was hurt at being cut by Buffalo and wants to prove them wrong.  I get the feeling the smurf (sorry remkin, I just don't care for The Kid all that much :) ) plays hard all the time anyways. And all of the other prospects know they're in competition with those three for a spot on the big team.   Here's hoping that sets the tone for the entire team for the whole season!

Hey I'm all for competition. And I'm sure it will be intense. But we've had competition before. It's talent we need to see from that bottom core. Though it does need to be matched with the proper intensity level of course. 

I don't think The Kid :D  has the previously discussed snowball's chance in making the team out of camp. But that's ok, if we hear from him, it will be later. 

Since Lindholm has been practically ordained already, and Dwyer is pretty much a lock, and despite talk of moving the K. Zamboni Westgarth, it probably won't happen, that leaves at most 3 spots in the top 12. Probably one on line 3 and two on the 4th. 

"He who shows some offense" should get that last 3rd line spot. Nash or Gerbe would be my pick at this ridiculously early point, w/ Dalpe and Boychuk as outside chances if they show something. 

Now if we add a guy that guy would be in the top 9 most likely, shaking things down further.

I think the Canes will take the route they did with Murphy and be patient with Rask.  Besides, Rask can be recalled at any time without going through waivers.  I'd be surprised if he made the team out of camp.  I also agree he needs to learn the pro game in Charlotte.

One other thing, has everyone just forgotten about Bowman?  He does have a one-way contract.

And as far as signing a vet, without knowing whether Lindholm or Murphy make the squad likely has a huge bearing on if and when we would sign another veteran free agent.  If Lindholm and Murphy both make the team, that doesn't leave much room, but JR could likely squeeze a guy in around 1-mil.  I agree with LakeLivin, that's probably why JR isn't in any hurry and could wait until the end of training camp to make a move for another vet, if he does at all.

I am a big Rask fan.  I saw him play several games last year and he is really good in all three zones.  I am not sure he will ever dominate in any area, but he is a legit prospect.  I think he was probably hurt the most by the lockout last season.  I agree that some more time in Charlotte would probably be good for his development, but I really believe his defensive abilities make him the best player we have to play next to J. Staal and Ruutu.

Maybe we should give "Last Chance" Zach Boychuk a look for 10 or 15 games while Rask plays 1st line left wing minutes in Charlotte.  If/when it is clear that Boychuk can't play in the NHL, then call up Rask and send Boychuk back down, hopefully to be claimed off the waiver wire.

On Rask, I think if he makes it this year it'll be similar to Faulk's entrance to the NHL: Start off in the AHL, play your way to a call-up, never look back.

I am impressed by how Rask has really bulked himself up, at least from what I saw at the prospect's camp, and in the Murphy video series.  He was a real skinny kid just a couple of years ago.

Agree with you Sucka, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in Charlotte.  The guy put up points in the WHL.

I am impressed by how Rask has really bulked himself up, at least from what I saw at the prospect's camp, and in the Murphy video series.  He was a real skinny kid just a couple of years ago.

Agree with you Sucka, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in Charlotte.  The guy put up points in the WHL.

...and he put up those numbers playing primarily on a second line that played against the other teams top line, similar to the way Muller uses J. Staal.

23 Victor Rask C 37 14 27 41 +14 16 6 0 1.11 0.43

I'm assuming with the arrival of Lindholm, he will likely have to break through on the wing, which isn't a bad thing.  I have this feeling Rask isn't going to struggle as an NHL-AHL tweener like the Dalpe's and Boychuk's of the world. 

Rask did put up some nice numbers in Juniors. Relatively around #20-25 best. If he was in a two way role, even better. Still, they are not blowout numbers. 

The numbers would predict what Coastal has said: AHL time, but not a perennial tweener. Season a bit, with call ups this year, try to get in position for a regular spot next year. Maybe surprise and stick in the back half of the year. That would not be bad at all. 

If Rask could spend some time in Charlotte then come up later and really contribute, it would wash some of the Boychuk taste out of the "we can't develop players" mouth.

Edited by remkin

My money this season as far as the biggest surprise will be Tolchinsky

You can count me as a HUGE Tolchinsky fan!  I love how hard he has worked to make it to the NHL!  I really believe that he is going to make it!   I might even custom order a Tolchinsky jersey.  That being said, I don't think we will hear from him until he is 20 or 21 at the earliest. 

My guess is that Boychuk and Dalpe start the season with the Hurricanes because they are not waiver exempt.  Rask will get sent down and play the first two games in Charlotte, then get called up during the Checkers' 13 day break.  These 7 games, and the practices in between, will likely determine who gets the scoring line spot...unless Rask just wins it outright in camp.

Just when I thought I was out.....they pull me back in.

If Boychuk were to suddenly find his NHL game, we would have a scoring third line.

Skinner-Lindholm-Boychuk

OK it has to take more than good stair running. But still if motivation and work was a part of his missing the mark.....

No! Way too early to even look at a Boychuk bandwagon.

Still better than not....

I could run steps as good as most of the players.... But can't play hockey to save my life.

Yes, but hockey skills have never been his problem.  He has been reportedly hampered by work ethic and attitude issues...

Remember we also have Gerbe, Nash, Bowman, Palushaj, and Morrow.........oh wait.......not yet.

I think Bowman, Nash, and Palushaj have an excellent shot at making up a pretty good 4th line.  Gerbe is probably competing with Dalpe, Boychuk, and Rask for the scring line position.  Now, if two of them make it, we could move Dwyer down to the 4th line and be really set!

Morrow would be a GREAT pickup for the 3rd line with Skiner and Lindholm!

I think a lot of Canes fans are underestimating Nathan Gerbe and his chances of making this team.  Providing he's healthy by camp's end, I'm certain he will make our opening night roster.  The guys with the real chances of missing out are Palushaj, Boychuk, Dalpe and Rask.  Of course, Welsh should be in danger of not making the team, but his one-way contract means he'd have to totally blow it in camp to not make the team.

WHILE i LIKE WHAT LITTLE i KNOW OF THIS KID, WHAT MAKES YOU SO CERTAIN THAT HE'LL MAKE THIS TEAM?

I think you're talking to me.  I've seen Gerbe play quite a bit with the Sabres and I know he had a tough year last year recovering from an injury.  He's still young and before last year, he didn't look like a borderline NHLer to me.  I'm not saying he's a star, but definitely has skill and a LOT of grit.  Exactly what we've been missing.  

The only X factor is his health.  From what I've heard, it shouldn't be an issue.  But, I believe it was a back injury, so you never know if it might flare up again during what promises to be a competitive training camp.