The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

You make a good point about Gerbe, karparules. 

The guy has produced at the NHL level, unlike many others in the competition. Last year was an off year for him. If he was hurt as you say, then there is the chance he could get back to earlier production, which was around .48 ppg. This is easily enough to be part of a scoring third line. This would have made him our #7 forward in points, but sooo close to Ruutu and Skinner, that he could have almost been #5 with those numbers. 

If he is gritty and backchecks and is as good looking a player as you say, then he should have an insider track to that third line spot, assuming we don't make any more moves. 

For what it's worth, the Canes website has him on the roster. Some others are not. Probably doesn't meat too much but still....

IF it was a health issue last year and IF he's all better now, then I agree with you. 

I think you're talking to me.  I've seen Gerbe play quite a bit with the Sabres and I know he had a tough year last year recovering from an injury.  He's still young and before last year, he didn't look like a borderline NHLer to me.  I'm not saying he's a star, but definitely has skill and a LOT of grit.  Exactly what we've been missing.  

The only X factor is his health.  From what I've heard, it shouldn't be an issue.  But, I believe it was a back injury, so you never know if it might flare up again during what promises to be a competitive training camp.

Yep, I was addressing my question to you out of ignorance, as I knew absolutely nothing about Gerbe. So thanks for enlightening me on him. Hopefully, if health was "the issue", than he's recovered. I do know that perusal of Buffalo's web page showed me that there were several there upset by him not being resigned. How karparules were you able to catch him so much last season, if I may inquire?

I'm not intimately familiar with Gerbe, but isn't the word that he's offense only.  If that's true, unless he makes a good run at an open spot in the top-6, I would expect him to spend his year in Charlotte, with callups for injuries.

Yep, I was addressing my question to you out of ignorance, as I knew absolutely nothing about Gerbe. So thanks for enlightening me on him. Hopefully, if health was "the issue", than he's recovered. I do know that perusal of Buffalo's web page showed me that there were several there upset by him not being resigned. How karparules were you able to catch him so much last season, if I may inquire?

Hey there!  Oh, I have NHL Center Ice and I'm a Canes season ticket holder (don't worry, not a Sabres fan!).  I watch far too much hockey for my own good!  Ha!  Gerbe doesn't play like he's small, which is why I always liked him.  However, I hope that his recent injury problem isn't a longterm trend.  He certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt! 

I'm not intimately familiar with Gerbe, but isn't the word that he's offense only.  If that's true, unless he makes a good run at an open spot in the top-6, I would expect him to spend his year in Charlotte, with callups for injuries.

Man I really didn't last long holding out at the very cool post number of 4444. But this one was worth it.

I am also not familiar w/ Gerbe outside of that picture with him in front of Chara. 

AND I know that plus/minus is the squishiest of statistics, BUT I do think that a long term history relative to others on the team does tell something, and other than last year that supposedly being an injury year, Gerbe does pretty well on that. It might not make him a lock for the Selke, but the numbers do suggest he is not offense only.

He is plus 14 for his career on some pretty average Slug teams.

2011-12 He was #8 on the team in plus minus.

2010-12 He was #5 on the team in plus minus. 

But the coolest thing is that BOTH of those years the guy just ahead of him? #7 and #4? 

One Andrej Sekera!

Give us your slugs, and we'll make them a force!

Everything I've read suggests he needs to be put in a scoring role to be successful, and he's not a fit in a checking/grinding role due to not being that great of a two-way player. Regardless of the plus-minus you reference, I'm assuming Sabres fans know more than me. ;)

My point was if he doesn't force his way onto the second or third line, he may find himself in Charlotte, hence the two-way contract.  But, again, that's just what I read and seemed to be the consensus on Sabres boards.

Maybe a Sabres fan can shed more light.....on second thought, nevermind.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Everything I've read suggests he needs to be put in a scoring role to be successful, and he's not a fit in a checking/grinding role due to not being that great of a two-way player. Regardless of the plus-minus you reference, I'm assuming Sabres fans know more than me. ;)

My point was if he doesn't force his way onto the second or third line, he may find himself in Charlotte, hence the two-way contract.  But, again, that's just what I read and seemed to be the consensus on Sabres boards.

Maybe a Sabres fan can shed more light.....on second thought, nevermind.

Oh I agree he needs to be on the top 9. 

But if we are going for a scoring third line, he could do that.

I apologize for bringing this up again but...

I posted that a Skinner-Lindholm-Dwyer line would probably be too small/soft.

Skinner-Lindholm-Gerbe would be probably be the smallest/softest line in the league. This is not a slight against Lindholm, that's my guy, but he is only 18 and I think this line would get pushed around and lose way too many battles along the boards (mainly due to Skinner and Gerbe).

I still think we need a Morrow or Cleary, but if that doesn't happen then I am at a loss. Putting a small, non-physical player out there with Lindholm and Skinner would be a mistake IMO. Guys like Gerbe, Dwyer, Boychuck, Bowman, Dalpe, Palushaj, Rask, Nash, Westgarth, etc. either lack physicality/grit, are too small, or lack the skill to play on the third line. Lindholm will likely develop into a complete, heart and soul type leader in a few years but we need help now IMO. I want Lindholm to get comfortable and find his game, and I'm not sure he can do that when he has to jump into scrums to defend guys like Skinner and Gerbe/Dwyer.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth...

Edited by Kyrule

Great points Kyrule. as always.

I'm more focused on Skinner-Lindholm, given it really seems he's going to get a real chance to make the team.  Who else would you put next to him (Lindholm) to be a playmaker and score? If not Skinner, then who?  Might as well send him back to the SEL. The Dwyer-Gerbe thing is white noise.

Thanks Coastal.

I have no problem with Skinner and Lindholm playing together, that is a lot of young skill/scoring potential for a third/"2B" line. As others have suggested, if things work out it will create match-up problems for our opposition. My main concern is the other winger, I just feel that it HAS to be someone who isn't afraid to get dirty/physical. Leadership would be a nice bonus as both guys are young. That is why a Morrow or Cleary fits so well, and unfortunately I don't see anyone else currently under contract fitting that role. Like I said everyone else is too small (Dwyer/Gerbe), not physical/gritty/too soft (Boychuck, Dalpe, Bowman, Nash, Rask), or not skilled enough (Westgarth, Blanchard) to be on the third line. Again, I just don't want Lindholm to be the guy to enter scrums and have to stick up for soft/smaller line-mates. He's too young and needs to focus on developing his own game as a pro.

Edited by Kyrule

Would it be a foreign concept to think maybe we might get more of that support for the third line from the defense?

It could happen, but I still think the proper solution is to put a winger with Skinner and Lindholm that isn't afraid to get dirty or won't get pushed around. Also, winning board battles with Skinner-Lindholm-Gerbe/Dwyer is a problem, and the defense will not help in that aspect. I am more comfortable with a Nash or Dalpe placed on a line with Skinner and Lindholm, but even then I would have concerns about board-play and the problem of soft line-mates remains. With Dwyer/Gerbe as the other winger, I just think that is too small of a line and once the puck goes into the corners in the offensive zone it will be coming out in short order. 

Like I said, I'm all for giving a Skinner-Lindholm-????? line a chance. I just think putting the proper (other) winger in to play with them is crucial. I just don't think we currently have the right guy to put in that spot. The problem isn't Skinner and Lindholm playing together, the problem is that our remaining forwards are small, soft, or lack skill. Awhile ago we were all calling for that gritty third-line player, and he still hasn't arrived. I think it is a glaring need and would make things fall into place, but then I am not the GM so...

....and there is still time.

Edited by Kyrule

It could happen, but I still think the proper solution is to put a winger with Skinner and Lindholm that isn't afraid to get dirty or won't get pushed around. Also, winning board battles with Skinner-Lindholm-Gerbe/Dwyer is a problem, and the defense will not help in that aspect. I am more comfortable with a Nash or Dalpe placed on a line with Skinner and Lindholm, but even then I would have concerns about board-play and the problem of soft line-mates remains. With Dwyer/Gerbe as the other winger, I just think that is too small of a line and once the puck goes into the corners in the offensive zone it will be coming out in short order. 

Like I said, I'm all for giving a Skinner-Lindholm-????? line a chance. I just think putting the proper (other) winger in to play with them is crucial. I just don't think we currently have the right guy to put in that spot. The problem isn't Skinner and Lindholm playing together, the problem is that our remaining forwards are small, soft, or lack skill. Awhile ago we were all calling for that gritty third-line player, and he still hasn't arrived. I think it is a glaring need and would make things fall into place, but then I am not the GM so...

....and there is still time.

Yep, and I think Muller wants guys who can transition from defense to offense in a blur, regardless of whether your a forward or defenseman.

And guys who don't mind being in a role.

You can pick the role, but a guy whose sole focus is to do it, and do it well.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I apologize for bringing this up again but...

I posted that a Skinner-Lindholm-Dwyer line would probably be too small/soft.

Skinner-Lindholm-Gerbe would be probably be the smallest/softest line in the league. This is not a slight against Lindholm, that's my guy, but he is only 18 and I think this line would get pushed around and lose way too many battles along the boards (mainly due to Skinner and Gerbe).

I still think we need a Morrow or Cleary, but if that doesn't happen then I am at a loss. Putting a small, non-physical player out there with Lindholm and Skinner would be a mistake IMO. Guys like Gerbe, Dwyer, Boychuck, Bowman, Dalpe, Palushaj, Rask, Nash, Westgarth, etc. either lack physicality/grit, are too small, or lack the skill to play on the third line. Lindholm will likely develop into a complete, heart and soul type leader in a few years but we need help now IMO. I want Lindholm to get comfortable and find his game, and I'm not sure he can do that when he has to jump into scrums to defend guys like Skinner and Gerbe/Dwyer.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth...

Rask is not small.  Here is the quote from Chip Alexander at development camp: "Rask is 6 feet 2 and a solid 200 pounds. Physically, he's there."

Rask is physical!  Everybody that hasn't actually watched him play, should spend some time watching youtube!  Here is some quotes from the same article:  ""I saw a lot of him in the playoffs,"said defensemen Kegan Lowe..."He's a lot to handle and pretty much good at everything.  He's extremely strong on his skates.  He's got those big, broad shoulders and is one of the best reverse hitters I've ever played against."

Here is the link to the above article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/17/3036914/canes-victor-rask-makes-strides.html

In his 10 AHL games last season he was used in a checking role on the 3rd line.  I know everybody knows the common stat line of 1 goal and 4 assists, very solid for the first 10 games as a pro, but look closer.  He was a +7 in those 10 games...in a third line checking role...

I think Rask makes the team.  He may start in Charlotte because of things like waivers and one-way contracts, but he won't stay there for long because he will make us a better team.  As a rookie, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually outshines Lindholm, although long term, Linholm clearly has more potential.

So on XM they were talking about Tampa putting out a line of Stamkos-St Louis- and Drouin. About the same size, but obviously off the charts skill. Anyways, one of them said, sounds good, but somebody needs to go in the corner and get the puck. 

Of course I am a Morrow bandwagon guy, so you get no argument from me on getting him.

I do wonder about roles on lines sometimes. Just think of how well Skinner meshed w/ Cole. 

Not being out there I don't know how true the small line getting pushed around is, but with Skinner's history I hate to take a chance even. 

Still the main thing is the puck battles. Is there a stat somewhere on puck battles like there is for face-offs? If you could tell me that while diminutive, Gerbe goes to the corners and wins battles, then I'd be less worried. 

Still, Morrow solves a lot of questions all at once.

Anyone know the status/whereabouts of Joni?  Will he be ready for camp?

I have been wondering the same. last I heard he was expected to be ready for camp. That was awhile ago.

You can count me as a HUGE Tolchinsky fan!  I love how hard he has worked to make it to the NHL!  I really believe that he is going to make it!   I might even custom order a Tolchinsky jersey.  That being said, I don't think we will hear from him until he is 20 or 21 at the earliest. 

I thought the same of Skinner and we know how that turned out, will be a matter of how he stacks up against the big boys.

I thought the same of Skinner and we know how that turned out, will be a matter of how he stacks up against the big boys.

True, but Skinner put up 70 goals and 53 assists in his draft year....

It's what I've been saying. Sekera is way better than McBain, and is already way more than you can expect from the second round pick we gave up for him. His plus minus relative to the team was more middle of the pack this year, but the two previous years, right near the top.

Plus he is what we need. Good in his own end and good at that first pass. In today's NHL that is key. Plus he doesn't tend to put the puck in his own net.

Someone commented on how the third best defenseman on Buffalo is the 5th best on another team. But that argument doesn't work on us. Their third best defenseman is like our second best defenseman. In our own end McBain was our 10th best defenseman. So we upgraded from 10 to 3 or better.

I agree w/ this from that article:

Carolina made a shrewd deal to help the team get better now in exchange for potential talent. With the team trying to improve in the short-term, I think this was a very good trade even if many of Sekera's contributions go unnoticed to the casual fan.

Edited by remkin

"His 21:12 average ice time"

I like those numbers ;-P (dorky Rush fan, obviously).

Sekera might not have gotten too much chatter when we traded for him, outside of the BYE BYE McBAIN talk, but he's the most solid move we've made this off season, and I'm looking forward to seeing him give our D a facelift.

Pretty fast, eats minutes, solid passing, pretty good at dogging top line offense. It won't be flashy, but it will be exactly what we need.

If we dont win the  corner battles, we wont win, its that simple, we get worn down, defensemen make mistakes...   results in goals for the enemy!  So march on  canes , battle up, put the shields and armour on, and win those   battlesssssssssssssssss.... Onward and upward!

If we dont win the  corner battles, we wont win, its that simple, we get worn down, defensemen make mistakes...   results in goals for the enemy!  So march on  canes , battle up, put the shields and armour on, and win those   battlesssssssssssssssss.... Onward and upward!

Hell yeah! :ohyeah:

Sekera might not have gotten too much chatter when we traded for him, outside of the BYE BYE McBAIN talk, but he's the most solid move we've made this off season, and I'm looking forward to seeing him give our D a facelift.

Pretty fast, eats minutes, solid passing, pretty good at dogging top line offense. It won't be flashy, but it will be exactly what we need.

Yes, I agree completely. He isn't just better than McBain, he's much more experienced and is older and mature. He may not have put up huge numbers besides his 29 assist year, but I think on a more offensive, faster team Sekera could emerge as one of the better defensemen in the league. If our forwards, particularly our top-6 (and I mean everybody, not just the Semin line) contributes and plays their roles correctly Sekera's role would be what Pitkanen was brought in to be, a minute muncher who skates well, isn't a defensive liability, and can also put up points. Sekera skates well, is defensively competent, and has put up points (once). You'd imagine his point production would increase with a better offensive team in the Hurricanes. I think no one really realizes how Sekera plays because they haven't really seen him play much or only follow the Hurricanes. Once you see him play, you'll see a slight resemblance to Wesley in his post-prime years. At least to me anyways, and that presence hasn't existed since his retirement. So yeah, that's why I agree he's bigger than people realize.

I'll eat crow if by some weird chain of events he flops on his face, but I doubt that's going to happen.  :howdy:  :hide: