The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Toronto Stronger: Fan mocks 'Boston Strong' slogan

That is just unacceptable on so many levels. I'm encouraged that the poll the Sun is taking show Leaf fans overwhelming thinks the sign went to far.  Jerks come in all team jerseys. This one might top the list.

my guess is the team wants to shoot pucks at the guy during warm-ups.  don't give the other team an incentive

Are we using American or Canadian standards to decide what

is classless? Or are we offended because we think it is not

"politically correct"? I don't take offense at all.

We Americans assume they were "mocking".

Boston Strong is a slogan that they

developed as a response to the terror attacks----but does

mean those words are off limits to anyone else? Since when

does Boston have the sole corner on the word " strong "....

which can also be used to describe ones favorite team.

Relax folks !

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I'm pretty sure that it was a direct insult to the Boston marathon victims so yes it is offensive in many ways. Does he have the right to do it? Sure, and Westboro baptist have the right to protest childrens funerals too. 

I'm pretty sure that it was a direct insult to the Boston marathon victims so yes it is offensive in many ways. Does he have the right to do it? Sure, and Westboro baptist have the right to protest childrens funerals too. 

This.  That 20-something year old kid (who is not representing Toronto or Canada in any way), probably doesn't understand that the reason he has the freedom to express himself as he did regardless of who it offended is because of the freedoms provided by the men an women who are constantly fighting the war on terror all over the globe on his behalf.

The term Boston Strong as it was written on his sign along with his version of the ribbon logo was most definitely meant to mock the people of Boston.  This isn't an American, Canadian or political issue, its a human issue.  Kudos to the response by the Leaf's organization, the Canadian people and the Canadian press.  I'm sure this kid thought he was just being funny and it wasn't his intention to offend people but his humor was not appreciated, especially not at this time.

boston_strong_print-r6e7dc09792c1400abf0

There's alot of stupid people in this world, getting mad over everything they do is a waste of your time on earth.

That is right! When I grew up, if someone said something that offended me

my Dad said "deal with it". So I always have. And I move on and don't

make an issue of it ! I refuse to get sucked into political correct

hysteria. It is not worth my time or energy. Let it go.

Boston doesn't need us to defend them !(or to be "insulted" for them)

(And this kid is getting much more attention with his little sign because

of that "hysteria" in the press and the Leaf organization--than he would

have if everyone had ignored him in the first place. Makes no sense to

me!)

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I think your missing the point. The sign was insensitive and insulting not only to Boston but to the U.S. and in truth to most Canadians as polls and social media reflect.

This may of been a case of a 20 year old being stupid. I'm sure he thought he was being clever but what he did was wrong and deserves comment.

I for one do not hold Leaf Fans, the city of Toronto or Canada responsible for the insensitive actions of one fan. As I said before jerks come in all team sweaters. That doesn't mean that this example of " what were you thinking" doesn't deserve some distain from us.

No, OBX'er, I am not missing the point. The right to free speech also gives people the

right to be "jerks" and be insulting and insensitive if they choose. And it is OK

if we don't like it. But the blow-up over this is giving this kid a bigger platform

for his stupidity and a larger forum for his insults. Tell me how that is smart?

( Reminds me a little of our recent endless thread about some of our fans shouting

out stuff during the National Anthem.) Same principle at work. Jerks will be jerks.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I don't disagree with you. I just see it differently. I hope the issue is put to bed soon. I do agree he has a right to say it. I also believe just because you have the right to say or express something that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for what you say. In this case I believe under the circumstances his insensitivity deserved a response.  I made one. You apparently believe his display would be best ignored. 

I don't disagree with you. I just see it differently. I hope the issue is put to bed soon. I do agree he has a right to say it. I also believe just because you have the right to say or express something that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for what you say. In this case I believe under the circumstances his insensitivity deserved a response.  I made one. You apparently believe his display would be best ignored.

To talk about in forums is one thing--what I am saying is that the press and

the Leaf organization's reaction magnified the insult--made it more insulting

to more people--probably could have been dealt with more quietly behind the

scenes. But then that would not have given us anything to talk about in this

forum, now would it? I will put my comments to bed now. :)

Edited by UNCCaniac8

No, OBX'er, I am not missing the point. The right to free speech also gives people the

right to be "jerks" and be insulting and insensitive if they choose. And it is OK

if we don't like it. But the blow-up over this is giving this kid a bigger platform

for his stupidity and a larger forum for his insults. Tell me how that is smart?

( Reminds me a little of our recent endless thread about some of our fans shouting

out stuff during the National Anthem.) Same principle at work. Jerks will be jerks.

The shouting during the National Anthem is disrespectful and rude but doesn't make light of putting innocent people in the hospital with body parts blown off, I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison.  In my opinion this kid isn't getting a bigger platform for his ignorance but the people that commit attacks like this one ARE when someone (whether intentional or not) makes light of and mocks an event like this.  Sure he has the right to say and write whatever he wants but everyone who takes exception to it has that right too.

Plenty of stupid people can and should be ignored but I have no problem speaking up when someone's actions are tasteless and insensitive, especially when there are still victims lying in hospitals.  Not sure you know this but the Bruins have had pregame tributes and ceremonies before every game and the Boston Strong ribbon and slogan is all over the Garden and city.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22196767/video-bombing-victim-jeff-bauman-leads-cheers-before-bruins-game

Personally I don't think this kid had bad intentions, he just showed poor judgement and a lack of understanding about the seriousness of this attack and what it means to all of us living in the US and Canada.  He's a kid who was cheering on his sports team but his actions had negative consequences, a good life lesson he surely won't have missed.

Boston Strong is a slogan that they

developed as a response to the terror attacks----but does

mean those words are off limits to anyone else? Since when

does Boston have the sole corner on the word " strong "....

which can also be used to describe ones favorite team.

But his sign didn't say 'Toronto Strong'. It said 'Toronto Stronger'. Only two letters but a world of difference in my mind. If the sign had been 'Toronto Strong' then maybe you could infer he meant that Toronto is strong just like Boston. But to suggest that Toronto is stronger than Boston even though Boston had just gone through a terrible ordeal and Toronto had not...yeah, that dog don't hunt.

Yep---like I said in an earlier post--Boston does not need us to

defend them---or to feel insulted for them !! They can take care of

themselves. And they will likely do so by winning the series.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

So far I see everyone's posts have some truth to them.  Some people here have a more emotional attachment than others to the sensitivity of the situation, which is to be expected and understood.  This guy knew what he was doing and now he's all over the media showing support for his team.  But Boston is a mean Bruin licking it's wounds, I wouldn't cross the neutral zone with my phaser on irritate and stir the pot.  That happened a week ago and some little Canadian puke had to be cleaned off the floor of the TD Garden.  Besides, the whole attempt at humor or 'salting the wound' may backfire as the Bruins just got another dose of healthy motivation-fuel when they need it most...