The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Canesfanforever

Who will be Carolinas Rival Next Year ?

I have for the longest time use to think that if carolina were to ever be in the same division with new jersey  then there would  be a rivalry  there that would be  obvious  to everyone , but it seems as if though at least for me now that it would not be the case and that washington would be that team  for years to come  that will be our rival . 

but let me explain the new jersey reason and then follow it up with why i would of think now it would be washington that will be our rival . 

1st with new jersey . if any of you people remember back to 2000 when the canes first played the devils in the playoffs ? talk about  two clubs that really could not stand each other . scott stevens being the goon that he was took head shots at our guys ,  even if they did not have the puck .  and to add insult to injury their fans use to talk trash about canes fans , and they beat us the first time . 

then later it was the canes that went on to beat the devils , not one time but three times in the playoffs , 

and the devil fans learned to fear and even dread the thought of the devils having to play against the canes ,  but lately i have got the feeling that the rivalry the canes use to have with the devils  has all but gone up in smoke and that the two teams don't hate each other anymore like they use to .,

but then i see washington  , here is a team that does not like us , they don't like semin , their fans hate carolina , and the caps even show they do not like playing against the canes ,,  generally when you think of the washington capitals  and their rivalries  you can think of one in recent times and that is the caps vs the pens  , but last season we all got a look at something that  we canes fans  have not seen in years  , and that is a seething  hate  from the caps fans .  and why ?  its because of one alex semin who left the caps and became a carolina hurricane ,  that is what upsets them  and also knowing they cant use semin anymore to help the caps win games against the canes must really sting . it's going to be interesting to see how this all heats up .   what say you ?

Hate to say it, but the only way to get true rivals is to make the playoffs a few years in a row and face the same team. 

Yes, NJ is the closest thing to that probably, but lately we have not been formidable enough for any of those teams to take us seriously enough to be considered a rival. 

We may think we have a rival but really I doubt any of the other team fans consider us a main rival.  I suspect Washington would be the closest thing to a true rivalry we have. I'm sure their fans consider the Flyers and the Pens as their main rivalries.

Thats why with realignment I was hoping for a new southeast with Nashville in the mix. Oh well if we become a consistent playoff contender I'm sure some rivalries will develop.  We always have the Slugs to hate.

Let's see.... PK has a Detroit connection, could you build something from that? Maybe if we get to be true rivals we might begin to imitate them and become consistent winners.

I think the media/league has the Pittsburgh vs Washington rivalry all wrapped up with a pretty bow on it.  There's no way we are going to be considered with either of them.  The Philadelphia thing doesn't work because we can't beat them.  It's not really a rivalry, it's a dominance.  I ALWAYS thought we had a little rivalry with New Jersey because they are always good match-ups and we have really put a burr under their saddle.  The Ward vs Broduer battle never fails to entertain... plus it's New Jersey... how far opposite can you get from Raleigh?  Well, other than Buffalo.

NJ was the closest thing to a rivalry we had going but missing the playoffs as many times as we have has kinda cooled off that fire.

I think the media/league has the Pittsburgh vs Washington rivalry all wrapped up with a pretty bow on it. There's no way we are going to be considered with either of them. The Philadelphia thing doesn't work because we can't beat them. It's not really a rivalry, it's a dominance. I ALWAYS thought we had a little rivalry with New Jersey because they are always good match-ups and we have really put a burr under their saddle. The Ward vs Broduer battle never fails to entertain... plus it's New Jersey... how far opposite can you get from Raleigh? Well, other than Buffalo.

Hey! I'm from New Jersey!

But I am from Southern NJ, so this is a Flyers area and we are considered hicks/hillbillies by those in the North. Which is fine with me since the North is too overdeveloped/crowded for my taste. I've been down South (United States) several times and I really liked the vibe there, the people were actually somewhat nice/considerate and everyone didn't rush around like it was the last day of the Earth's existence. I'm sure I am generalizing but still... If I had my way I would move down South, but my wife's ties to her family are too strong.

Back on topic. We don't have a rivalry right now, and as others have said, it will take a couple years of playing a team in the playoffs to build one. We were close with NJ, but that is dead and likely will not be re-kindled any time soon (unfortunately I don't see both NJ and Carolina making the playoffs on a consistent basis).

Edited by Kyrule

How many rivalries can you all even think of for teams that came into existence 92 and later? Colorado and the Red Wings is all I can think of and even that rivalry might not be as hot anymore.

Once the league hit 30 teams new rivalries have become close to nonexistent, most of them are from 22 and less teams format back in 92. Which makes sense seeing each other that much in the playoffs certainly should cause some anger over time.

Edited by legend-1

I don't think any team will see us as a rival unless we become a threat. Like last year when we

led the SE Div. early, we were a threat/rival to Washington especially.

In our new division-----I don't see us as a threat to anyone (except maybe NYI). So unless our

team becomes consistently stronger, it is hard to predict. With the new alignment, it will be harder

for us to ever make the playoffs without some big changes on the team.  (D especially) 

Not normally a downer--but I think of myself as a realist. I see no real upside to the realignment,

and I see a big and constant influx of opposing fans. $$$ for the organization but not too fun for

Canes fans. Our only real chance for playoffs year after year will be via the "wild card" option, IMO.

(because only the top 3 will get a spot otherwise)

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I'll take the Jackets as our rival...since we'll be competing for the conference doormat trophy a lot

Sadly, this might be true. Hope I'm wrong.

But can you recall a time when we have beaten the Bluejackets ? I am from

Columbus, and my brother gives me a lot of grief--because we always lose to them .