The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Will we ever see another stanley cup for the canes ?

I like to think we might see the canes win another cup ,  but we are always off a few years because we don't have the right team to get us one  for the time being ,  there are areas that need improving  such as defense , goal tending , power plays , penalty kills , winning face offs , and guys who are consistent with scoring goals .   but it always seem like with each year we are really really good in one area of the game but not so great in the other areas .  

for years it use to be thought that the coaching was the reason why . and after all coaching does play a pretty big role into it.  look at scotty bowman  who won detroit all of those stanley cups  in years past . 

i really do like kirk muller as the coach for the hurricanes , and even some of the players . but i just keep scratching my head wondering what is it that keeps holding the canes back from going to the playoffs and  

winning another cup .  is it that the team does not have the money to compete to bring in the best talent in the nhl  ? is it that we have the wrong coaching,  bad schedule  ?  im sorta at a lost in trying to figure it all out .  did we upset the hockey gods ?

what do you guy think it might be ?

you could ask the same question to fans of the historical franchises such as the Leafs and The Habs and come up with a multitude of replies

My father was convinced the Bruins would never win another Cup in his lifetime after the ways they bowed out in the playoffs after the last few seasons...then they won the Cup.

Anything can happen.

One can never predict a cup. Look at Chicago. But if JR can find us an average NHL defense we can be in the mix almost immediately.

We are going to get an elite player in the draft, who while he will not be a superstar at 18 years old probably, will likely contribute. I personally think that J. and Skinner are going to break out this next year, immediately giving us huge offense.

If we can make the right moves to strengthen the blue line and get Ward back and healthy, next year will be what this year should have been.

Substitute decent NHL dmen for McBain and Corvo and we should be there.

Edited by remkin

First we have to make the playoffs---and the new alignment makes it harder

for the teams in the East. (16 teams vs. 14 in the West)

I think the west will get back to 16 soon...I really think they'll give out two expansion franchises ...one east and one west(Seattle and Hamilton, Ontario)...and Detroit or Columbus will be sent back out West...probably the Wings.

I think those negative nancies out there will be surprised just how much better we are with an actual NHL goalie starting. I guess they forgot what it was like since it has been awhile.

Seven seasons.

This past season we had a much different lineup with some serious potential. Now we're actually going to attempt to address our defense for once, we're getting a superstar at fifth overall, and Ward will be healthy. You do remember we were well on our way to the postseason until Ward went down and that was with no secondary scoring and our sad defense.

This past season we had a much different lineup with some serious potential. Now we're actually going to attempt to address our defense for once, we're getting a superstar at fifth overall, and Ward will be healthy. You do remember we were well on our way to the postseason until Ward went down and that was with no secondary scoring and our sad defense.

Maybe. But both the Jets and the Caps started playing much better also. Seems to be the Canes path.. Maybe and If.

Edited by winger52

I'd say we play better against teams in our new division, but that's with playing less games against them. it'll be interesting to see how we acclimate to the new division and if we actually address what needs attention.

Well the Red Wings in a rebuilding year took the Presidents Cup winner to a game 7 in the Western Conference semi's.  Next year we have more teams we have to be better against to be in the playoffs. 

First of all, I am a Canes fan,and I don't want this post to be too negative, but the Canes will not be playing for a cup any time soon. When you look at the teams left, they all have three lines that can score, a fourth line that can play in any situation, very solid Dand goal tending, are big ,fast, and physical. The Canes seem to be lacking in a lot of those areas. Considering the new divisions, the Canes need to get real lucky just to make the playoffs. I'll remain a fan,but unless some big changes are made, I don't see a bright future.

I don't know if they'll ever get another.  I can hope.

What we do know is that one of the last 4 cup winners will get another.  Amazing that the 4 remaining playoff teams are the last 4 winners. 

I'd like everyone to remember the summer of 2005 for a moment.

Now, how many of you honestly thought the next summer the Stanley Cup would be residing in Raleigh for the next year? I know I didn't. A lot of people didn't either, that team was expected to be a lottery contender.

My point is, it's definitely possible. And let's look at this, our team has won their conference twice in 11 years with one Cup win. You guys know how many teams would be thrilled with that kind of success? Many.

Now if this team can make the playoffs, the sky is the limit. It sucks that getting there has been a chore recently.

Edited by captain_jack88

I thought in the summer of 2005 we finally had a chance at the 2nd round, not the cup but the 2nd round. Players who would never sign with us finally fell into our grasp, Ray Whitney would have never signed with us without a cap. That my opinion. Tverdovsky who at the time was a coveted D-man, wouldn't have signed even though he was a semi-bust and we continued to round our team out.

Once the cap got out of control my hope went spirling downward, it's a rare feat to compete with teams spending 10-20 mil more then you. 2002 was amazing in terms of what we spent versus the Wings. I'm surprised we won 1 game nevermind almost 2.

The cap's gotten realistic again, it won't stay that way obviously there is loopholes to be found by richer teams but next year could be a good year based on players falling into our range again considering when healthy the team this year wasn't half bad. Our depth killed us, specifically our backup goalies and defensive depth.

Until the Canes can get into the playoffs on a consistent basis the team's chances are two: slim and none.  With new minority owners coming om board,  we have better chances of adding proven quality players.  The down-side is the Canes no ;longer play in the "South-least" division.

All things considered, the Canes have been pretty lucky to have played in two Stanley Cup Finals (1-1) and three Eastern Conference Finals (2-1). There are teams out there that haven't even won a playoff series, much less compete for the Cup.

Edited by hopper915

We need to find one more solid NHL defenseman. Ideally one of the top 60 shutdown guys in the game. 

Defense has been our killer. Year after year of subpar or flat out terrible shots and goals against averages. Tracking the worst goals against teams is tracking the worst teams. 

I am actually buying JR's line that one or two key guys would slide everything into place. But he needs to make that happen. 

Not sure how, but it comes down to JR finding the right piece on defense. 

If we pick Nich, Barkov, or Monahan, and add one nice third liner, we will be simply stacked on offense. It's all about the defense. Let Ward play behind a slightly above average defense and we could go far. Don't and we won't.

June 4, 2016.  Carolina Hurricanes defeat Chicago Blackhawks in game 6 on home ice and lift Lord Stanley's Cup.  Nich goes glove side high in OT. 

How did you get that advance copy from E/A sports?

I think the west will get back to 16 soon...I really think they'll give out two expansion franchises ...one east and one west(Seattle and Hamilton, Ontario)...and Detroit or Columbus will be sent back out West...probably the Wings.

As far as Seattle goes, I do think Portland is a better hockey market.  They have a WHL team that's done real well lately and the Rose Garden (also the Trail Blazers' arena) sold out for their Memorial Cup games.  The Seattle Thunderbirds, while entertaining, don't have the fan base to sell out the undersized ShoWare Center very much. There are those trying like mad to get an arena built here for a new NBA team (and, they say, an NHL team).  I can tell you without a doubt the locals here will NOT put up the $$ for a new arena if it's only going to be for hockey.  No NBA....no NHL....

I'm not arguing with ya AWACS it's just my HO since I've been based out here for the last 6 years and have seen the sports mood of the Puget Sound area.