The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Will we ever see another stanley cup for the canes ?

June 4, 2016.  Carolina Hurricanes defeat Chicago Blackhawks in game 6 on home ice and lift Lord Stanley's Cup.  Nich goes glove side high in OT.

Mr. Haney, even you are not that good a salesman. I think the Canes are going to be like that three wheeled tractor you sold Mr. Douglas. At least for awhile.

Land Tuukka as a RFA, sign him for what Cam is being paid. 

Then, with Cam's permission, trade Wardo for a top-4 defenseman (and save 2 million in the process). Assuming someone thinks he's worth that.

Then, take that 2-million and add 2 more and land another serviceable vet defense man as a FA (like M. Streit)

Do that, and our odds would certainly go up!

Land Tuukka as a RFA, sign him for what Cam is being paid. 

Then, with Cam's permission, trade Wardo for a top-4 defenseman (and save 2 million in the process). Assuming someone thinks he's worth that.

Then, take that 2-million and add 2 more and land another serviceable vet defense man as a FA (like M. Streit)

Do that, and our odds would certainly go up!

Do you ever have a thought that doesn't involve Cam Ward?

Mr Haney,  in addition to your marketing prowess, you're a funny guy to boot. Thanks for that line (it did get me thinking about something else... errrh Jordan Staal... think I'll go back to Cam actually, much less upsetting).  Now back to the hockey...

I was stating the obvious.

An upgrade at starting Goalie and an upgrade at two Defensive positions would certainly improve our team!

The sick thing is, it would only take an extra $2-ish mill in payroll to do it. Naturally, my scenario has several "ifs" but that's what makes it fun.

As far as Seattle goes, I do think Portland is a better hockey market.  They have a WHL team that's done real well lately and the Rose Garden (also the Trail Blazers' arena) sold out for their Memorial Cup games.  The Seattle Thunderbirds, while entertaining, don't have the fan base to sell out the undersized ShoWare Center very much. There are those trying like mad to get an arena built here for a new NBA team (and, they say, an NHL team).  I can tell you without a doubt the locals here will NOT put up the $$ for a new arena if it's only going to be for hockey.  No NBA....no NHL....

I'm not arguing with ya AWACS it's just my HO since I've been based out here for the last 6 years and have seen the sports mood of the Puget Sound area.

You might want to analyze Raleigh pre-Hurricanes. Doesn't get much stranger than that.

Edited by winger52

You might want to analyze Raleigh pre-Hurricanes. Doesn't get much stranger than that.

I see your point on that.  I'm just referring to the area up here where I'm currently living.  I neglected to mention the Seattle Sounders MLS team here as well, with which Seattle sports teams also compete with for fans' discretionary dollars.  Now, if a new NHL team in Seattle does well right off the bat, I do think it will go a long way towards building a sustainable and viable market in the Pacific NW.

Mr Haney,  in addition to your marketing prowess, you're a funny guy to boot. Thanks for that line (it did get me thinking about something else... errrh Jordan Staal... think I'll go back to Cam actually, much less upsetting).  Now back to the hockey...

I was stating the obvious.

An upgrade at starting Goalie and an upgrade at two Defensive positions would certainly improve our team!

The sick thing is, it would only take an extra $2-ish mill in payroll to do it. Naturally, my scenario has several "ifs" but that's what makes it fun.

Honestly, a couple of years ago, would anyone have thought that MAF or Miller would be goalies that would have worn out their welcome with their current teams?  I think that goes a long way towards showing how fickle the fans are about goalies.  They get way too much credit for team wins and way too much blame for losses.

Honestly, a couple of years ago, would anyone have thought that MAF or Miller would be goalies that would have worn out their welcome with their current teams?  I think that goes a long way towards showing how fickle the fans are about goalies.  They get way too much credit for team wins and way too much blame for losses.

could the Canes afford either one of these players and could they afford the goalie controversy that would result?

could the Canes afford either one of these players and could they afford the goalie controversy that would result?

Yes! Both have more playoff experience which may come in handy one day 

Edited by winger52

Never happen in a million years. Way too much money for a backup and it would be instant controversy, unless Ward was traded.

In the scenario I painted, we'd have zero goalie controversy.  

Again, land Tuukka as a RFA, sign him for what Cam is being paid. 
Trade 
Wardo for a top-4 defenseman (and save 2 million in the process).
Take that 2 and add 2 more and land a 
serviceable vet defenseman as a FA (like M. Streit).

That yields an upgrade at goaile and an upgrade at 2 defensive positions; and it only costs an extra 2-million.

In the scenario I painted, we'd have zero goalie controversy.  

Again, land Tuukka as a RFA, sign him for what Cam is being paid. 

Trade Wardo for a top-4 defenseman (and save 2 million in the process).

Take that 2 and add 2 more and land a serviceable vet defenseman as a FA (like M. Streit).

That yields an upgrade at goaile and an upgrade at 2 defensive positions; and it only costs an extra 2-million.

Landing Rask as an RFA would also mean giving up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. That, plus the fact that there's no chance we sign Rask anyways, means the whole idea is purely hypothetical.

There are also reports that Streit has signed a 4-year deal with the Flyers, so that eliminates that part of the equation as well.

Landing Rask as an RFA would also mean giving up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. That, plus the fact that there's no chance we sign Rask anyways, means the whole idea is purely hypothetical.

There are also reports that Streit has signed a 4-year deal with the Flyers, so that eliminates that part of the equation as well.

Yep, as mentioned the scenario has several "ifs" but that's what makes it fun.

But curious why you think ZERO chance of Rask?  Are you really saying "almost no chance" or that he would not want to come here? Naturally the Canes would love to have him and then trade to end-up with upgrades in goal and at two defensive positions.

Yep, as mentioned the scenario has several "ifs" but that's what makes it fun.

But curious why you think ZERO chance of Rask?  Are you really saying "almost no chance" or that he would not want to come here? Naturally the Canes would love to have him and then trade to end-up with upgrades in goal and at two defensive positions.

I say there's zero chance because I 100% believe the Bruins will re-sign him before there's ever an opportunity for anyone else to sign him. If by some miracle he did become available, I don't think he'd want to come here until the D has seen a significant upgrade. On top of that, I don't see the Canes wanting to part with the draft pick compensation that comes with signing a high-priced RFA.

So, Bruins re-signing before we have a chance + Rask probably wants to see big change first + Canes don't want to part with that many picks = ZERO chance of this hypothetical playing out (at least IMO)

With that said, it is fun playing the "what if" game. In my scenarios, I'd like to see us move McBain for a top-end physical 3rd liner , maybe with 2nd line potential. Whether there's more thrown in on one side or the other would be up to the GM's to decide, but that's what I'd like to see. It's not that I dislike McBain, but I think he takes up a spot for a top-4 addition and is one of our better options to change the dynamic of this team. We need less offensive D-men (more physical, stay-at-home), and we could use some more grit throughout the lineup.

If McBain ends up on the roster come next season, I won't be upset though. He's a young, talented D-man with some upside and an affordable cap hit. But that's why I think he might have some value on the market and could help us fill some holes.

Edited by Stealth-ch1

I say there's zero chance because I 100% believe the Bruins will re-sign him before there's ever an opportunity for anyone else to sign him. If by some miracle he did become available, I don't think he'd want to come here until the D has seen a significant upgrade. On top of that, I don't see the Canes wanting to part with the draft pick compensation that comes with signing a high-priced RFA.

So, Bruins re-signing before we have a chance + Rask probably wants to see big change first + Canes don't want to part with that many picks = ZERO chance of this hypothetical playing out (at least IMO)

With that said, it is fun playing the "what if" game. In my scenarios, I'd like to see us move McBain for a top-end physical 3rd liner , maybe with 2nd line potential. Whether there's more thrown in on one side or the other would be up to the GM's to decide, but that's what I'd like to see. It's not that I dislike McBain, but I think he takes up a spot for a top-4 addition and is one of our better options to change the dynamic of this team. We need less offensive D-men (more physical, stay-at-home), and we could use some more grit throughout the lineup.

If McBain ends up on the roster come next season, I won't be upset though. He's a young, talented D-man with some upside and an affordable cap hit. But that's why I think he might have some value on the market and could help us fill some holes.

Fully 100% hear you about the B's not letting Rask go.  I was just thinking the same thing while watching the Cup action tonight too.

Regarding us trading Jamie, at most I think we'd get a 3rd round draft pick (nothing more).  

So this thread ended, and we  have  cam, when healthy, we KNOW WHAT HE CAN DO, and the bruins back up, sorry cant spell it, a  above  avg goalie.. so i guess its all dandy and candy :)

If we get Jagr we'll win the Cup this up-coming season.  You read it here first.

:lol:

If we get Jagr we'll win the Cup this up-coming season.  You read it here first.

I'll stand by you! I think it's silly to count Jagr out because his age. He's a living legend and is the one intangible we've been missing since Brind'Amour retired. A true veteran to lead not only by example, but by experience.

I'll stand by you! I think it's silly to count Jagr out because his age. He's a living legend and is the one intangible we've been missing since Brind'Amour retired. A true veteran to lead not only by example, but by experience.

Plus... he's got a mini-mullet.  Something this team is missing.  Just saying.