The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

In the off season , who would you like to see join the canes ?

there are three areas to my understanding that the canes need to focus on  if they want to get anywhere in the nhl like the playoffs for example

defense , goal tending and consistency .  

first let me explain  with defense 

the canes were ranked 29th goals against and 28th on the penalty kill.   this is bad , really bad when  you look at a team that is meant to be going forward , but our defense actually got worse over the years . 

we need to correct that  big time !

our goal tending was mediocre at best , 3.5 goals a game  towards us is not a good sign of  great goal tending , granted cam ward went out with an injury in the season and so we had to use our back ups to get the job done, well the job was just not done good enough ., hence why we are not in the playoffs 

we need a back up that can play and in a big way if and when cam ever does go out with an injury like he did . so that the back up can pick up where cam left off and give the team a chance to win . 

next is consistency 

when i look at teams that are consistent , i see teams doing all the little things that draw forth attention to the game , like playing 60 mins a night or scoring goals  or finishing up on your checks , not staying in the penalty box , blocking shots , and getting them power play goals . winning face offs , these are areas i can see the canes improve on when we have an legit preseason to work with to correct the issues that would be a down ward slope for most teams .  this could be chalked up as reasons for an abbreviated season which we like most other teams did have , or a simple case of the injury bug that could plague a team .  and yes it could of been a lot worse  but when i look at our points per game , being ranked 13th and our power play percentage being ranked 27th , something just does not add up . 

what ever the canes do during the off season i hope that it is with the up most concern to correct these issues during the off season before the season begins 

i want to see jim rutherford bring in some veteran defense , i also would like to see if we can get a decent goalie to back cam  next season .  and lastly i just want to have a smile on my face knowing who ever the canes play next season the other teams fans are dreading the thought of having to face the canes that night cause they know their team is going to have a tough game ! 

Edited by Canesfanforever

I just want ANYONE with a pulse who has some defensive smarts and can actually PLAY instead of getting injured every 10 games.

Well we've beat the need for defense to death, but other than that, I still think JR needs to find that gritty slightly nasty physical third line forward that will still pot 15 goals and 20 asssits. 

I like Nash, but he's not that. I still have hopes for Dalpe, but he and Bowman really aren't that either. I can see leaving one third line spot open for one of our prospects, but we need at least one guy like above. 

It would be nice to find a solid vet back up goalie, but I don't see it happening, and I'm ok with Ellis as the backup. Sure I'd rather get someone else, but if I'm the agent of a good NHL backup and he starts thinking about Carolina, I'd set him up with a psychiatric evaluation. Give our defense and the history of our backups we are the last resort before the AHL or retirement, or should be.

Both Micheal Ryder and Mike Ribiero are UFA's.  For the right price, they'd make nice additions.

On the back end Jordan Leopold could be had for a reasonable number, I think.

1) a gritty, top pair (or at least a top 4) defenseman.

2) a physical bottom 4 defenseman with size.

3) a physical 3rd and/or 4th line forward (ex: 4th line = Matt Hendricks (UFA); 3rd line = Troy Brouwer (Trade), Ryane Clowe (UFA)...I'm sure there are others out there).

Don't think we need a top 6 forward this year, especially if our #5 pick is Nich or Barkov and we play Skinner as #3 center.

Edited by Bill_B

Ribiero is looking for 5 years at 5+ mill per. Brouwer hates Semin so not likely there. Clowe is ideal to me for the right price. I want to address defense before anything, especially since our drafted player is almost guaranteed to be a forward.

But before I start listing players I want, I'm going to wait to see who gets bought out, which teams start shopping who, who wins the cup, and all those good things. The draft is the 30th and the free agency begins the 5th of July so everything should start happening soon enough for me.

One player I will name now, Keith Yandle. If we can make space for him cap wise I want him. He's like a Pitkanen who actually produces consistently and doesn't get injured every season.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Well if Nich is taking in the top 4 and we draft Barkov.  I would like to get a young guy like Nino.  He wants out of the Islanders. Bickell would be a great get for the 3rd line.   Lapierre would be a great signing for 4th line center, miller(det) is a great 4th liner.

It would make for a decent top 3 lines

Tlusty-Staal-Semin        6'0 209, 6'4 205, 6'2 209

Nino-Staal-Skins            6'2 205, 6'4 220, 5'11 193

Bickell-Barkov-Ruutu      6'4 223, 6'2 205, 6'0 205

Miller-Lapierre-Dwyer     6'2 178, 6'2 207, 5'11 175

That's great size for our forwards.  The third line would be fully capable of putting points on the board but can also play against teams top lines (opening up the 2nd line to score).  Barkov would have a steep learning curve but Ruutu and Bickell are both very experienced players. 

That would be 4 acquisitions for the forward crew alone.  JR would be really busy to then add to the D corps. 

Can the term "mediocre at best" be forever banned from this message board?

This team needs 2 defenseman and at least 1 needs a mean streak. It also needs at least one bottom 6 forward that plays a physical, productive, grinding game. The draft is going to net a top 6 forward to complement JStaal. The 3rd player issue is to shore up the backup goalie situation with somebody not named Justin Peters. On the coaching side, fix the power play and the penalty kill.

Edited by super_dave_1

Can the term "mediocre at best" be forever banned from this message board?

This team needs 2 defenseman and at least 1 needs a mean streak. It also needs at least one bottom 6 forward that plays a physical, productive, grinding game. The draft is going to net a top 6 forward to complement JStaal. The 3rd player issue is to shore up the backup goalie situation with somebody not named Justin Peters. On the coaching side, fix the power play and the penalty kill.

Maybe Yandle, Coburn, Seabrook, or Peterson-type for the high-end d-man and a O'Bryne, Murray, O'Brien type for a big, gritty d-man. Then a Clowe-type for the 3rd line and/or a low-cost gritty Hendricks for the 4th line. I rally don't know what to do about the goalie situation unless JR wants to spend some money.

Edited by Bill_B

Recent article on Bleacher Report talks about how bad our bottom six forwards were and lists these guys as potential/recommended targets:

-Bryan Bickell

-Eric Nystrom

-Matt Hendricks

-Maxim Laperierre

-Ruslan Fedotenko

The article talked about Fedotenko adding a veteran presence, but I'm not sure he is what we need. I definitely agree about Bickell though. Still, I haven't really looked at potential FA's though, too focused on draft.

To add my own suggestions concerning our defense, I would like to see Andrew Ference and/or Douglas Murray signed here. Again, those are just initial thoughts, haven't really looked to see who will be available.

Edited by Kyrule

Erik Johnson. For his salary he would fill a definite need for a nice price if colorado would be willing to let him go.

If we could land Yandle that would be amazing and I'd be ecstatic.

What about Michal Handzus? Veteran presence, could be a help to the bottom six. He's flown under he radar this year but has performed quite well these playoffs. There is no way he'll still be with Chicago next year.

Recent article on Bleacher Report talks about how bad our bottom six forwards were and lists these guys as potential/recommended targets:

-Bryan Bickell

-Eric Nystrom

-Matt Hendricks

-Maxim Laperierre

-Ruslan Fedotenko

The article talked about Fedotenko adding a veteran presence, but I'm not sure he is what we need. I definitely agree about Bickell though. Still, I haven't really looked at potential FA's though, too focused on draft.

To add my own suggestions concerning our defense, I would like to see Andrew Ference and/or Douglas Murray signed here. Again, those are just initial thoughts, haven't really looked to see who will be available.

Bickell would be a good low-cost pick up....a younger (27), depth guy. I wouldn't be unhappy if JR got Ferrence but my preference would be Ferrence's mindset in a bigger body.

Bickell is playing on the top line right now for Chicago in the Western Conference Finals. I don't see him coming cheaply, nor do I really expect him available. He's a beast on their power play right now.

I don't see him coming back I would imagine just like Jordan he would want to get off the 3rd line and show what he can or can't do.

Between that and us shipping him off to begin with.

I don't see him coming back I would imagine just like Jordan he would want to get off the 3rd line and show what he can or can't do.

Between that and us shipping him off to begin with.

Sad, but true.

(one of my favorite Metallica songs)

No more Smurfs, its that simple, and that complicated.. big gritty guys... i know  easier said than done... and   2  more  dman, i think bellemore is that guy,i could be wrong, we only got a small sample, and i know  hes a smurf, but murphy has skill up the ying-yang..

can ryan murphy play the wing ? i wonder how well he would do at that area . he is under sized  as a defense man and he has a lot of skill moving the puck up and has a twisted but fast slapshot  . i think it would be best for murphy to play the wing with skinner next season  , both guys work with each other in the past and did wonders  at their time with the kitchner rangers .  im excited at the idea to tell you the truth .  

but as for defense , we need big guys and can block shots , and do what needs to be done .,  i also don't want our first choice in this years draft to be a defense man or anything like that . we should go after nichushkin if he is up for grabs .  as for the goalie scenario . it is possible for the canes to make a trade in the off season to try and bring in luongo , i  know he wants out of vancouver  .  and he is still a pretty good goalie .  as has been said in the past , vancouver is where goalies go to end their careers  . and i see someone like him being great with the canes . 

what say you guys ?

Edited by Canesfanforever

Both Murphy and Skinner are finesse players who can shine when they have room. Take that room away and I'm sure we'll find out pretty quick that neither pervade let alone dominate in any of the corners. I think this season has made it pretty clear what happens when you have too many players playing outside their primary/regular position or capabilities. To me it would be the same thing as advocating Skinner to pair with Murphy on defense.

can ryan murphy play the wing ? i wonder how well he would do at that area . he is under sized  as a defense man and he has a lot of skill moving the puck up and has a twisted but fast slapshot  . i think it would be best for murphy to play the wing with skinner next season  , both guys work with each other in the past and did wonders  at their time with the kitchner rangers .  im excited at the idea to tell you the truth .  

but as for defense , we need big guys and can block shots , and do what needs to be done .,  i also don't want our first choice in this years draft to be a defense man or anything like that . we should go after nichushkin if he is up for grabs .  as for the goalie scenario . it is possible for the canes to make a trade in the off season to try and bring in luongo , i  know he wants out of vancouver  .  and he is still a pretty good goalie .  as has been said in the past , vancouver is where goalies go to end their careers  . and i see someone like him being great with the canes . 

what say you guys ?

Cam Ward is this franchise's goalie. He's one of the highest paid goalies in the league, so JR wouldn't trade him for an even higher paid goalie. Plus, why wouldn't we stick with Ward? We're looking for a backup, not a new starter. Think in terms of Martin Biron, Brian Elliott, Josh Harding.

Murphy would probably get a look on wing only after he plays on the backend and fails, and we've already seen a glimpse of him back there and he didn't look too bad.

but as for defense , we need big guys and can block shots , and do what needs to be done .,  

I've directly asked Coach Muller about this.  

Coach claims you don't need that much size to play Def any more - "not like when I played."

Further, Coach said defense is Murphy's "natural position." 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral