The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

NHL Competition Committee Meeting

Mandatory visor use , Hybrid icing and goaltending equipment are on the agenda are on the agenda when the NHL Competition Committee meets Tuesday.

CBCsports

Mandatory Visors

A hot topic well before Staal took a puck in the eye, mandating all NHL players to wear visors is something the league office has supported for years.

Hybrid Icing

Carolina Hurricanes defenceman Joni Pitkanen suffered a broken heel bone on an icing touch-up in April, prompting more discussion about changing the long-standing rule.

Mandatory visor use , Hybrid icing and goaltending equipment are on the agenda are on the agenda when the NHL Competition Committee meets Tuesday.

CBCsports

Mandatory Visors

Hybrid Icing

Isn't this always on the agenda every year?

Isn't this always on the agenda every year?

It has been for a while but now with players supporting the visor change they might do something. I also thought it was interesting the writer used Joni as an example for hybrid icing. I saw it last year at an AHL game. Honestly it didn't seem to change the game much and after the first few times it was called I didn't even notice. The one concern I have is with the inconsistent way NHL refs call games it could lead to even more controversial calls.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3h

Visors will be grandfathered in. Hybrid icing tested in NHL preseason. Shallower nets to be used next season. All subject to board approval

4' x 6' opening of the net will remain the same, only depth reduced by 4"

NHL Public Relations @PR_NHL 2h

All double minor high-sticking penalties to be confirmed by video review is also part of today's competition committee recommendations.

Yes on more video review and please consider one coaches challenge.  If the approve the video review for double minor high sticks, what will happen in a no call situation?  If a player is obviously cut and bleeding and there's no call, shouldn't that be looked at too?

Yes on more video review and please consider one coaches challenge.  If the approve the video review for double minor high sticks, what will happen in a no call situation?  If a player is obviously cut and bleeding and there's no call, shouldn't that be looked at too?

Totally agree.

Also, Chad Larose broke his leg a few seasons ago on an icing play and I seem to remember at least one other incident to a Cane in the last couple seasons.  I think it was a boarding injury that resulted right after the icing, which wouldn't have happened with the hybrid icing change (I think it was a call-up player).  Not saying I am all for it... but the injury potential would drastically be reduced - that's undeniable.