The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB thread: Trade deadline time

new MLB thread, since the last one was a casualty of the spammer

The Red Sox keep spending money like it's going out of style.

No wonder the seats are so expensive on top of the Monsta. :)

Warbird and topshelf,

What are the Sox thinking giving JD "IR" Drew $70 mill over 5 years.

They would not pay Damon and pay this guy. I do not get it.

Also since when was Ted Lilly worth $10 mill, The Cubs overpaid for a mediocre left handed pitcher.

Also my Dodgers have overpaid for Schmidt $47 mill for 3 years. At least he can be an ace, unlike Ted Lilly.

I do not like the Lugo signing either for $9 mill. They could have had Cabrerra 2 years ago for less and he is a better all around SS than Lugo. 2004 was a magical year, it seems so far away now. :Oops:

Warbird and topshelf,

What are the Sox thinking giving JD "IR" Drew $70 mill over 5 years.

They would not pay Damon and pay this guy. I do not get it.

I don't get it either.

Also since when was Ted Lilly worth $10 mill, The Cubs overpaid for a mediocre left handed pitcher.

We won't have to face him anymore, so its good with me.

Also my Dodgers have overpaid for Schmidt $47 mill for 3 years. At least he can be an ace, unlike Ted Lilly.

I do not like the Lugo signing either for $9 mill. They could have had Cabrerra 2 years ago for less and he is a better all around SS than Lugo. 2004 was a magical year, it seems so far away now. :Oops:

You got that right. I've never been that high on Lugo. Oh well, another year another new shortstop.

And it looks like Manny will still Manny in Boston. Does that really suprise anyone :roll:.

byebye.gif- bye bye Trot and Lorretta

Medford, I totally agree with you. They couldn't sign proven players like Damon or Cabrerra but they shell out all this money for these guys? And Warbird is right too, I wouldn't get too attatched to Lugo cause I'm sure he'll only be around for one year too.

And it looks like Manny will still Manny in Boston. Does that really suprise anyone :roll:.

Medford, I totally agree with you. They couldn't sign proven players like Damon or Cabrerra but they shell out all this money for these guys? And Warbird is right too, I wouldn't get too attatched to Lugo cause I'm sure he'll only be around for one year too.

Medford' date=' I totally agree with you. They couldn't sign proven players like Damon or Cabrerra but they shell out all this money for these guys? And Warbird is right too, I wouldn't get too attatched to Lugo cause I'm sure he'll only be around for one year too.[/quote']

I hate to say it but Theo is overrated as a GM.

As for my Dodgers, so far so good IMHO :-)

I hate to say it but Theo is overrated as a GM.

Its starting to look that way. Post-2004, most of his moves have been mediocre to bad. The only move I can think of thats really worked out during that time was getting Lowell in the Beckett trade. And he only did that because Florida didn't give him a choice. AGon and Loretta were good acquisitions... and now we're letting both of them go!

Medford, you or Slapper might be able to verify this but a friend from Boston said that Lorretta really wants to stay in Boston. He's being talked to by other teams but is waiting for the whole Matsuzaka circus to resolve to see if the Red Sox will make him a deal. He also said that the Sox do want Loretta but are also waiting to see how things pan out. They will probably offer Mirabelli a one year deal too.

Trot is as good as gone and potentially to the Cubs?

And the last thing I heard is that they may be shopping Crisp around for a closer. Not sure what to make of any of this :?.

Medford, you or Slapper might be able to verify this but a friend from Boston said that Lorretta really wants to stay in Boston. He's being talked to by other teams but is waiting for the whole Matsuzaka circus to resolve to see if the Red Sox will make him a deal. He also said that the Sox do want Loretta but are also waiting to see how things pan out. They will probably offer Mirabelli a one year deal too.

And the last thing I heard is that they may be shopping Crisp around for a closer. Not sure what to make of any of this :?.

He does want to stay, but it is not likely with the addtion of Lugo. I really think the Sox want to go with Pedroia (I have no idea why I like Loretta)

Also check out the Matsusaka (sp) talks are breaking off. Not good

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=171439

We all know that money shouldn't stop them from re-signing Lorreta and Pedroia may not be ready for the full load of the season. If there is something the Sox should have learned from all their past mistakes, is that a proven player like Loretta should't be let go!!!!!!!!

See Cabrerra, Pedro, Roberts, Damon......should I continue?

We all know that money shouldn't stop them from re-signing Lorreta and Pedroia may not be ready for the full load of the season. If there is something the Sox should have learned from all their past mistakes, is that a proven player like Loretta should't be let go!!!!!!!!

See Cabrerra, Pedro, Roberts, Damon......should I continue?

Its my understanding that if he doesn't sign with the Sox, the Japanese baseball team gets nothing from the 51 mil.

I think it'll get done but it will take some cough*saving face*cough compramising from both sides. You know, "you take a little less that 51 mil and we'll pay a little closer to what Boras is asking" kind of compramise.

Its my understanding that if he doesn't sign with the Sox, the Japanese baseball team gets nothing from the 51 mil.

I think it'll get done but it will take some cough*saving face*cough compramising from both sides. You know, "you take a little less that 51 mil and we'll pay a little closer to what Boras is asking" kind of compramise.

I would laugh if the Yankees ended up with him.

Are there any rules that prevent the Yankees from trading some random A-ball player and, say, $50,000,000 to the Seibu Lions for Matsuzaka?

I would laugh if the Yankees ended up with him.

Are there any rules that prevent the Yankees from trading some random A-ball player and, say, $50,000,000 to the Seibu Lions for Matsuzaka?

Not this year. His rights are owned by The Sox. He either goes there or back to Japan.

Then next year NY can win the bidding process.

I still think he is signing with Boston at the 23rd hrd and 59th minute. :shock:

6 years/52 mil. is what I've heard.

By itself, the contract could be a steal if he works out, considering he's getting in the same neighborhood that the likes of Adam Eaton and Ted Lilly did. Of course, when you include the posting fee, its not so much of a steal.

The $47M might be a chunk of moolah, medford, but consider what recent blows the Dodger franchise has had to contend with: saying its final adieus to Eric "Game Over" Gagne, not to mention parting with Greg Maddux, a shoo-in HOFer who proved he still has plenty left in his arm. Equally worrisome is the often-tenuous hold the organization has on its fans, who've begun to shun going to Dodger Stadium in droves. (Fact: Mr. GSBG and I don't know how often we noticed rows upon rows of empty seats at Chavez Ravine last season. :?)

So, yeah, $47M is a bundle ... but if it buys a strong enough starter to keep the Blue in playoff mode for the next three or four seasons and bring the team's fans back to the park, it's money well spent.

Jan/GSBG