The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB thread: Trade deadline time

I officially wish I was a Bruins fan at the Garden tonight!

He went right from his press conference to TD Banknorth Garden and threw out the ceremonial first puck of the National Hockey League game between the Bruins and the New Jersey Devils.

The crowd roared, as Matsuzaka, decked out in a black Bruins uniform with his name and the No. 18 on the back, softly dropped the puck.

In other news: Red Sox aquire Brendan Donnelly from LA and J.Drew needs a second opinion about his health :shock:!

He went right from his press conference to TD Banknorth Garden and threw out the ceremonial first puck of the National Hockey League game between the Bruins and the New Jersey Devils.

The crowd roared, as Matsuzaka, decked out in a black Bruins uniform with his name and the No. 18 on the back, softly dropped the puck.

In other news: Red Sox aquire Brendan Donnelly from LA and J.Drew needs a second opinion about his health :shock:!

We have a picture!

1166142777_5134.jpg

And an interesting note about it:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/gino_reda/

A plus to Patrik Elias, who let Red Sox fan Jay Pandolfo take the ceremonial face-off from Sox super signing Daisuke Matsuzaka. Pandolfo is a Massachusetts native, while Elias says he hates baseball.

As for Drew... how perfect, we haven't even finished signing him and he's already hurt.

A plus to Patrik Elias, who let Red Sox fan Jay Pandolfo take the ceremonial face-off from Sox super signing Daisuke Matsuzaka. Pandolfo is a Massachusetts native, while Elias says he hates baseball.

As for Drew... how perfect, we haven't even finished signing him and he's already hurt.

Great picture! I hear he's called Dice-K up in Boston and he doesn't speak a word of english. But, he's full of personality and is loving all the attention. According to friends that live up there, it All Matsuzaka, All the time in the media! Whatever will Manny do without being the center of attention? Maybe he'll behave :shock:?

Oh, and apparently most feel the way that we do about Lorreta. If they let him walk........ :evil:

Note to Theo: Must focus and find a closer :x, and figure a way to dump Matt Clement and his salary. We should arrange a meeting with JR so he can share the secret of dumping dead weight players with hefty salaries (see Tvederosky).

Great picture! I hear he's called Dice-K up in Boston and he doesn't speak a word of english. But, he's full of personality and is loving all the attention. According to friends that live up there, it All Matsuzaka, All the time in the media! Whatever will Manny do without being the center of attention? Maybe he'll behave :shock:?

Oh, and apparently most feel the way that we do about Lorreta. If they let him walk........ :evil:

Note to Theo: Must focus and find a closer :x, and figure a way to dump Matt Clement and his salary. We should arrange a meeting with JR so he can share the secret of dumping dead weight players with hefty salaries (see Tvederosky).

Also my Dodgers have overpaid for Schmidt $47 mill for 3 years. At least he can be an ace, unlike Ted Lilly.

The $47M might be a chunk of moolah, medford, but consider what recent blows the Dodger franchise has had to contend with: saying its final adieus to Eric "Game Over" Gagne, not to mention parting with Greg Maddux, a shoo-in HOFer who proved he still has plenty left in his arm. Equally worrisome is the often-tenuous hold the organization has on its fans, who've begun to shun going to Dodger Stadium in droves. (Fact: Mr. GSBG and I don't know how often we noticed rows upon rows of empty seats at Chavez Ravine last season. :?)

So, yeah, $47M is a bundle ... but if it buys a strong enough starter to keep the Blue in playoff mode for the next three or four seasons and bring the team's fans back to the park, it's money well spent.

Jan/GSBG

I hope you are correct. I want to see the Dodger fans come in droves and actually stay at the game. :shock:

btw good to see you here :mrgreen:

We have a picture!

1166142777_5134.jpg

and this surprises you. JD DL Drew.

$54 mill for this overrated player and not enough for Johnny Damon. I do not get it.

but at least they are making strides in the pitchind dep. I really like Branon Donnelly. I think he could be the closer.

Lets hope D-Mat gets it done as well. :D

$54 mill for this overrated player and not enough for Johnny Damon. I do not get it.

nah, I'm not surprised at all. If anything, I think its almost comical.

nah, I'm not surprised at all. If anything, I think its almost comical.

are the Sox going to sign him soon or have they actually come to their senses finally about this one.

Also as an aside I really like Brandon Donnelly. I think he could be the closer next season :thumbup:

Loretta's gone. Not unexpected but still disappointing.

Also, Foulke goes to Cleveland. Joel Piniero comes to Boston.

The Yankees' marriage with the big unit is over, and are they trying to acquire every former member of the 2004 Sox? They've had/have Bellhorn, Embree, Damon, Myers, and now Mientkiewicz.

Foulke is no suprise. Lorretta...BIG mistake :evil:.

Yankees can have Embree, Meyers and Bellhorn. Losing Damon, just plain stupidity by the Theo and Co. If they sign Trot...I will have no words.

Foulke is no suprise. Lorretta...BIG mistake :evil:.

Yankees can have Embree, Meyers and Bellhorn. Losing Damon, just plain stupidity by the Theo and Co. If they sign Trot...I will have no words.

Thoughts on the Todd Helton rumors?

He's declined noticeably the last 3 years or so. I'd still be happy to take him if it meant dumping Tavarez and/or Clement, even though I like Lowell. But not if it meant giving up too much in terms of prospects (Hansen, MDC, etc.)

And someone needs to remind Theo we don't have a closer. Though I guess we can fall back on Papelbon if need be.

Personally I'm getting a little sick of the revolving door we have in the infield. I would love to dump Tavarez and Clement but after letting Loretta walk, I'm not so excited to see Lowell go, especially after the year he just had. As for Papelbon, I thought his Docs made it clear that his arm and shoulder would be better served on a rotation and not in an everyday spot. Does his mean that Youk goes back to third? I liked him at first just fine.

It's impossible to get a handle on what on earth they're doing and thinking up there in the Fenway offices.

Side note: Recently I read that the Yankees are saving a certain # jersey just in case Mr. Clemens decides to make mid-year appearance.

Personally I'm getting a little sick of the revolving door we have in the infield. I would love to dump Tavarez and Clement but after letting Loretta walk, I'm not so excited to see Lowell go, especially after the year he just had. As for Papelbon, I thought his Docs made it clear that his arm and shoulder would be better served on a rotation and not in an everyday spot. Does his mean that Youk goes back to third? I liked him at first just fine.

It's impossible to get a handle on what on earth they're doing and thinking up there in the Fenway offices.

Side note: Recently I read that the Yankees are saving a certain # jersey just in case Mr. Clemens decides to make mid-year appearance.

As for Papelbon, I thought his Docs made it clear that his arm and shoulder would be better served on a rotation and not in an everyday spot.

Thats what I thought too, which makes it all the more disconcerting that Theo hasn't gotten a new closer yet. But I don't know what other options we have.

I'm with you on that. I don't how this makes us that much better a team overall, though losing Clement/Tavarez might be addition by subtraction. We need bullpen help, and a closer in particular, more than another hitter.

As for Papelbon, I thought his Docs made it clear that his arm and shoulder would be better served on a rotation and not in an everyday spot.

Thats what I thought too, which makes it all the more disconcerting that Theo hasn't gotten a new closer yet. But I don't know what other options we have.

I'm with you on that. I don't how this makes us that much better a team overall, though losing Clement/Tavarez might be addition by subtraction. We need bullpen help, and a closer in particular, more than another hitter.

tick,tick,tick,tick......you get it.