The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB thread: Trade deadline time

Papi homers in the 1st......hopefully a sign of good things to come?

Must make a note to myself, change son's position to pitching on his little league team. They obviously get drafted first!!!

and change him to lefty as well. Remember Tony Fossas who used to get paid $725K in the 90s for 27 ip all year LOL :lol:

Looks like the only way we can win is for our pitcher to throw a 1 hitter, lol.

Is it possible to feel more let down after a W? Oh well, what game for Schill.

Here's our new boy:

Red Sox lean left with first Draft pick

06/07/2007 9:01 PM ET

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- After serving as spectators for the first 54 picks of Thursday's First-Year Player Draft, the Red Sox finally got to join the festivities with the selection of left-hander Nick Hagadone out of the University of Washington.

The junior has a fastball that ranges from 90-93 mph to go along with a plus-slider that is particularly tough on lefties and a changeup that remains a work in progress. During his college career, Hagadone was lauded for his leadership and work ethic.

"He is certainly one of the hardest workers we've ever had in our program," said University of Washington baseball coach Ken Knutson. "He came in as a guy who was probably throwing in the mid-80s and now he's throwing in the mid-90s. He just works at it every day. He's very conscientious and aggressive. [He is a] big, hard throwing left-hander who throws strikes. I think he's a coach's dream, and I think [boston is] going to love him. To me, he's got the makings of a big leaguer."

At 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, Hagadone, 21, certainly has the build of a pitcher who can hold up well over time.

"Nick Hagadone is a very big, strong-bodied college left-hander," said Red Sox director of amateur scouting Jason McLeod. "He has big arm strength and the ability to spin a power breaking ball."

Interestingly, he was converted from starter to closer this past season. However, Knutson indicated that the move had more to do with the overall makeup of his 2007 team than how Hagadone best projects as a Major League pitcher.

"For us, we definitely see a kid that we'd like to come in and at least give him a chance to start," said McLeod. "[He is] someone we feel has upside left to him and can provide an impact to our organization."

The Red Sox did not have a first-round selection because of the signing of shortstop Julio Lugo last December.

The last time the Sox took a left-handed starter with their first pick in the Draft was 2002, when they selected Jon Lester, who remains a key part of the plans of the franchise for both the present and future. In fact, the Sox grabbed Lester at No. 57, just two picks after their selection of Hagadone. Both lefties are natives of Washington.

The Red Sox would be overjoyed if Hagadone develops at anywhere close to the speed of his college teammate Tim Lincecum, who is currently in the Giants' rotation. In fact, Lincecum and Hagadone combined on a no-hitter for the Huskies on May 13, 2006. Lincecum was taken by the Giants with the 10th overall pick in last year's Draft.

Here's our new boy:

Red Sox lean left with first Draft pick

06/07/2007 9:01 PM ET

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- After serving as spectators for the first 54 picks of Thursday's First-Year Player Draft, the Red Sox finally got to join the festivities with the selection of left-hander Nick Hagadone out of the University of Washington.

The junior has a fastball that ranges from 90-93 mph to go along with a plus-slider that is particularly tough on lefties and a changeup that remains a work in progress. During his college career, Hagadone was lauded for his leadership and work ethic.

"He is certainly one of the hardest workers we've ever had in our program," said University of Washington baseball coach Ken Knutson. "He came in as a guy who was probably throwing in the mid-80s and now he's throwing in the mid-90s. He just works at it every day. He's very conscientious and aggressive. [He is a] big, hard throwing left-hander who throws strikes. I think he's a coach's dream, and I think [boston is] going to love him. To me, he's got the makings of a big leaguer."

At 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, Hagadone, 21, certainly has the build of a pitcher who can hold up well over time.

"Nick Hagadone is a very big, strong-bodied college left-hander," said Red Sox director of amateur scouting Jason McLeod. "He has big arm strength and the ability to spin a power breaking ball."

Interestingly, he was converted from starter to closer this past season. However, Knutson indicated that the move had more to do with the overall makeup of his 2007 team than how Hagadone best projects as a Major League pitcher.

"For us, we definitely see a kid that we'd like to come in and at least give him a chance to start," said McLeod. "[He is] someone we feel has upside left to him and can provide an impact to our organization."

The Red Sox did not have a first-round selection because of the signing of shortstop Julio Lugo last December.

The last time the Sox took a left-handed starter with their first pick in the Draft was 2002, when they selected Jon Lester, who remains a key part of the plans of the franchise for both the present and future. In fact, the Sox grabbed Lester at No. 57, just two picks after their selection of Hagadone. Both lefties are natives of Washington.

The Red Sox would be overjoyed if Hagadone develops at anywhere close to the speed of his college teammate Tim Lincecum, who is currently in the Giants' rotation. In fact, Lincecum and Hagadone combined on a no-hitter for the Huskies on May 13, 2006. Lincecum was taken by the Giants with the 10th overall pick in last year's Draft.

BANG! Mussina has a nice start, A-Rod smokes one with the bases loaded, and the Yankees wipe out the White Sox. It's the first time we've taken two series in a row all year...we're back, baby! :lol:

BANG! Mussina has a nice start, A-Rod smokes one with the bases loaded, and the Yankees wipe out the White Sox. It's the first time we've taken two series in a row all year...we're back, baby! :lol:

That was quite a blast from ARod. "Where is Roger....Where is Roger.....Where is Roger"-can't wait to see his stuff this weekend ;)

That was quite a blast from ARod. "Where is Roger....Where is Roger.....Where is Roger"-can't wait to see his stuff this weekend ;)

JDDrew comes out of his slump....finally, with 2- three run homers and gets to do the Papi dance in the dugout. :lol:

These Arizona announcers are having a Red Sox love-fest.

JDDrew comes out of his slump....finally, with 2- three run homers and gets to do the Papi dance in the dugout. :lol:

I cracked up when Lugo tagged that guy at 2nd after he hadn't called timeout. That was awesome. Good to see the offense wake up. We cleaned up against the NL last year, hopefully this is a time we can get on a roll again.

For those of you that missed the Braves and Cubs game last night, you missed a heck of a game. These two teams hate each other. Lilly got tossed out of the game in the first inning for hitting Renteria. Both teams came out and I thought there was going to be a brawl. Some questioned weather the umpire should have thrown him out with no warning. The hitting had been going on the prior three games. I guess the umpire was tired of it. Renteria retaliated while stealing second. He smacked Fontenot in the face with his right hand.

That was one of the best games I have seen in awhile.

I also saw some of Carolina's game against S Carolina. That was a good game too. I was switching channels between commercials. Congratulations to the Heels on their win.

I have to say the Yanks have looked good. See Gip I can give credit when credit is due.

Sox did take 2 of 3 vs a decent Arizona team.

Dodgers look like crap lately :o

it is still June and a lot can change

I'd just like to see the Yankees give the BoSox some competition again. It's no fun when you're with the rest of the dwellers. Nice that we're in a win streak, finally.

I'd just like to see the Yankees give the BoSox some competition again. It's no fun when you're with the rest of the dwellers. Nice that we're in a win streak, finally.

Speaking as a die hard Sox fan, we NEVER count the Yankees out. They have way too much talent to be written off at any point of the season. It'll all come down to whether or not their bull pen can carry the older pitchers that can't go at least 7 innings.

You are right though, its no fun for the rivalry if one team folds too early (see the Red Sox last season).

Speaking as a die hard Sox fan, we NEVER count the Yankees out. They have way too much talent to be written off at any point of the season. It'll all come down to whether or not their bull pen can carry the older pitchers that can't go at least 7 innings.

You are right though, its no fun for the rivalry if one team folds too early (see the Red Sox last season).

Speaking as a die hard Sox fan, we NEVER count the Yankees out. They have way too much talent to be written off at any point of the season.

Yep. At one point we were on pace to win the division by about 25 games which we knew would never happen. NYY was bound to get hot eventually (though sweeping the Pirates is hardly anything to write home about), just as the Sox were bound to cool off. But unlike the last couple years when we were never able to open up more than a 4-5 game lead, where we have 1 bad week and just like that we're in 2nd, this year we've built a big enough lead we can hopefully withstand whatever run they go on until we warm up again ourselves. Winning a series on the road against Arizona is a good start.

Bad news for Doug Mientkiewicz, he has to have a screw put into his wrist. He'll be out a minimum of 12 weeks but I don't think the Yanks are missing him too much lately.

Bad news for Doug Mientkiewicz, he has to have a screw put into his wrist. He'll be out a minimum of 12 weeks but I don't think the Yanks are missing him too much lately.

Justin Verlander just threw a no-no against the Brewers. He was clocked at 102 MPH...in the 9th inning. :o

Congrats, J-Ver!

Yankees climb back to 500. Pretty impressive considering where they were not too long ago.

Yankees climb back to 500. Pretty impressive considering where they were not too long ago.

I give full credit. The Yanks look good but the Sox are playing pretty well as well. Good win for Wake tonight and Papelbon looked much better than lately :D

Oh yeah. Every win streak has to end at some point. I'm just hoping that we can dominate the interleague play and catch up to the BoSox some what. I'm not expecting a very long winning streak, but I would be happy (and I can't believe I'm saying this) to be 5 games behind or so the Sox. Being over .500 is good, and thats just another step in catching up in the race.

Oh yeah. Every win streak has to end at some point. I'm just hoping that we can dominate the interleague play and catch up to the BoSox some what. I'm not expecting a very long winning streak, but I would be happy (and I can't believe I'm saying this) to be 5 games behind or so the Sox. Being over .500 is good, and thats just another step in catching up in the race.

If Schilling keeps throwing what he's throwing so far, your Yanks will be one game closer after tonight. :angry:

Maybe if Schilling could just skip every other start, we wouldn't have to watch his stinkers.