The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB thread: Trade deadline time

As for Papelbon, I thought his Docs made it clear that his arm and shoulder would be better served on a rotation and not in an everyday spot.

Thats what I thought too, which makes it all the more disconcerting that Theo hasn't gotten a new closer yet. But I don't know what other options we have.

It's impossible to get a handle on what on earth they're doing and thinking up there in the Fenway offices.

I'm with you on that. I don't how this makes us that much better a team overall, though losing Clement/Tavarez might be addition by subtraction. We need bullpen help, and a closer in particular, more than another hitter.

tick,tick,tick,tick......you get it.

I dont know if you have heard this top and warbird

Red Sox intrested in Todd Helton. This would be awesome :-)

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...n_talks_to.html

January 28, 2007

Talks to continue

By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff

The Red Sox and Rockies were expected to continue their discussions on a possible Todd Helton deal on Monday.

While discussions have been ongoing, there's a major hurdle to overcome. Which of the prospects coveted by the Rockies would the Sox be willing to give up in addition to Mike Lowell and Julian Tavarez? Among the players Colorado likes include Craig Hansen, Manny Delcarmen, Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Daniel Bard and Jon Lester.

One of the six the Sox might consider dealing is Delcarmen, but Theo Epstein doesn't appear to be keen on giving up any of his young pitching and that's where the deal could die.

There are also seems to be a mixed bag of opinion in the Sox organization on whether the team should take on five years of Helton, though there are others who feel he'd be an incredible piece to add to an already good lineup.

The Sox would also have to do their due diligence with Helton's back issues. The Sox would have to receive Helton's medical records and he would have to be examined much like the J.D. Drew situation to determine whether the back problems are anything that will continue to diminish his power.

According to sources involved in the talks, there's still not a firm number on how much of Helton's contract the Rockies would absorb, though it could be 50 percent of the $90.1 million remaining or even more depending which prospect, if any, heads to Colorado.

Helton told the Denver Post that he would waive his no-trade deal to Boston. He would also wave it to Atlanta or St. Louis. But Helton is enamored with joining the Red Sox, a team he feels can make it to the post-season and win a World Series.

The other issue is some bad blood between the two teams over the failed Larry Bigbie deal of a couple of years back. While some believe that's smoothed over, others believe there might be some lingering feelings. But according to one source, "It's really not an issue if they can make a deal." .

The Sox would also have to do their due diligence with Helton's back issues. The Sox would have to receive Helton's medical records and he would have to be examined much like the J.D. Drew situation to determine whether the back problems are anything that will continue to diminish his power.

Does it make either of you nervous that these "huge" pickups that Theo always seems to want, have "huge" injury histories? With all the money the Sox have, I guess the healthy great players are just unattainable? I do realize that if both Drew and Helton remain healthy(of course thats assuming the trade goes through), Theo will once again look the boy genius of 2004.

Does it make either of you nervous that these "huge" pickups that Theo always seems to want, have "huge" injury histories? With all the money the Sox have, I guess the healthy great players are just unattainable? I do realize that if both Drew and Helton remain healthy(of course thats assuming the trade goes through), Theo will once again look the boy genius of 2004.

my take top is that Helton would be a great fit here. He is not the injury prone player JD is. JD might be okay. A shoulder injury is not as bad as a knee problem. I think he might be okay but is still getting overpaid.

If the Sox land Helton, the pressure will be off Helton

Look at the projected lineup

1. Lugo

2. Youkilis

3. Oritz

4. Manny

5. Helton

6. JD Drew

7. Crisp

8. Varitek

9. Pedrioa

To me the only real hole is Pedrioa. If Varitek gets helthy he will be fine. Helton would boost this team tremendously :D

What is the news on Varitek? Haven't herd anything in a while. If he is healthy, then that line up does look good.

Pedroia is still so young and I'm a little nervous about letting Loretta go without knowing if Pedroia can handle the full time job. You get tons more info than I do so maybe you can shed some light for me.

I do like that fact that Manny and Papi could have a little cushioning around them :wink:

Now, if we could just find a closer...

What is the news on Varitek? Haven't herd anything in a while. If he is healthy, then that line up does look good.

Pedroia is still so young and I'm a little nervous about letting Loretta go without knowing if Pedroia can handle the full time job. You get tons more info than I do so maybe you can shed some light for me.

I do like that fact that Manny and Papi could have a little cushioning around them :wink:

I dont know too much on Pedrioa. I guess hitting down in the lineup can be a good thing. They also have Alex Cora if Pedroia stinks, so he is a good backup plan.

I feel a good year is coming :D

Spoken like a true member of Red Sox Nation!

All this definately takes the sting out the Pat's loss to Indy. Glad to be back on the same side with you Medford. :wink:

All this definately takes the sting out the Pat's loss to Indy. Glad to be back on the same side with you Medford. :wink:

Well we are on the same side as long as the Red Sox dont play the Dodgers :wink:

We are always on the same side for hockey. I am psyched as the Canes play the Bruins on Saturday and I ACTUALLY GET TO SEE THEM PLAY ON TV :D

Have you heard anything about Joel Pinero from Seattle for the closer spot?

I think its open competion, but If he fails it would not surprise me to see Papelbon back there or even Brendan Donnelly (who I think will do well for us)

We shall see, Only about 2 1/2 weeks left :-) to spring training.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/redSox/

Well the Helton deal is dead, at least for the time being. Now he'll probably get traded to the Yankees in a couple days or something.

Re: closers, Donnelly only has 4 saves in his whole career, but I guess he's the best candidate of the bunch at the moment. This whole the whole closer situation is the biggest reservation I'm having about the team at the moment.

Other Sox news is Schilling now says he plans to pitch beyond this season.

I heard today that Colorado was pushing this deal to get rid of salary. Originally their demands were too high so the thinking was, they would lower the demands asap to get the deal done. That was at about 5:00pm.

I heard today that Colorado was pushing this deal to get rid of salary. Originally their demands were too high so the thinking was, they would lower the demands asap to get the deal done. That was at about 5:00pm.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/redSox/

Well the Helton deal is dead, at least for the time being. Now he'll probably get traded to the Yankees in a couple days or something.

Re: closers, Donnelly only has 4 saves in his whole career, but I guess he's the best candidate of the bunch at the moment. This whole the whole closer situation is the biggest reservation I'm having about the team at the moment.

Other Sox news is Schilling now says he plans to pitch beyond this season.

I think Donnelly would be better than Pinero. At least Donnelly has gotten people out the last few years, unlike Pinero.

I also would not mind giving Hansen a chance if he shows he can get his slider over. He does have talent, Can he adjust, who knows.

The Rockies are "rocky" to think the Sox will give up 2 top prospects, with Tavez and Lowell to get the whole salary Dump of Helton.

I wish it woud happen as I posted above a projected lineup. It is awesome

as a side note I like my Dodgers this year with

Schmidt, Lowe, Penny, Kuo and (a lefty from Philly I cant remember his name LOL)

Ah just saw this thread. I haven't read most of it so I'm just going to put my 2 cents in.

I'm a huge braves fan(more of a braves fan than a hurricanes fan, sorry)

The braves biggest problem last year was the bullpen. Countless times has our bullpen failed us and had blown a win. One reliever in mind was Jorge Sosa. During the off season the braves have worked to get a good bullpen going. We traded away Giles and LaRoche for relievers. I wasn't so mad that Giles went but when we traded away LaRoche I was very angry. LaRoche was a consistent hitter with a lot of potential (I thought he was going to be the next Chipper). We also have Hampton back so we have a good rotation of starting pitchers of Smoltz, Hudson and Hampton with a couple of others starters that are getting their names known such as Villareal and Chuck James. With relievers such as Wickman and Gonzalez the Braves should look to start their streak again. And Chipper is looking better than ever (his words) and Andruw is still looking like the best center fielder in the league with a great hitting arm. We also have a lot to look forward to as McCann as our catcher.

GO BRAVES!!

The Steelers are going to the World Series this year! VS the Canes! HAHHA JK

I don't really watch Baseball unless I can go the actual game, but I have to root for the Indians if I am rooting for anyone

Appstate, is Joey Devine expected to spend another year in the minors?

I watched him a lot here at State so I've sorta followed his career since then.

Appstate, is Joey Devine expected to spend another year in the minors?

We [braves fans] can only hope. I would expect so, cause they've made some moves this year (Gonzalez & Soriano) that have beefed up the pen. I think for once, the bullpen may be Atlanta's primary strength. Hopefully, Huddy will rebound this year and Davies and James will continue their maturity. It may be a case of the offense not having enough firepower this year, but I still think they're morons for trading Betemit.

Edited to add, I don't know if they're gonna stick with McCann behind the plate. I heard rumblings last year that they may try to move him... to the outfield. Jarrod Saltalamacchia (that's a mouthful) may be ready for the big time by mid-season. Caught at AA Mississippi last year, saw him here in Montgomery several times and he is a HOSS. Will more than likely start at Richmond this season.

If McCann can play outfield then by all means let him play outfield, as long as he continues the great hitting he's been doing then I think it'll be ok.

And Devine is going to play in Richmond. He only got called up once previously. And I think we've got our bullpen right where we want it.

Also sign me up for the Chuck James and Matt Diaz bandwagon. I know they'll be doing a lot of good for the braves.

I can't wait for the season to start. Going to wear my jersey, hat and carry my tomahawk around.

Yep, less than 2 weeks 'til pitchers & catchers report

So who do you think will win the closer spot? Piniero(spelling) and Hansen seem to be leading the pack.

I'm getting excited!