The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB thread: Trade deadline time

Yep, less than 2 weeks 'til pitchers & catchers report

So who do you think will win the closer spot? Piniero(spelling) and Hansen seem to be leading the pack.

I'm getting excited!

I keep hearing Pineiro is the leading candidate. But he's never done it and his numbers have gotten worse the last 3 year in a row, and his K/BB rate last season was particularly awful. Then again Hansen wasn't exactly spectacular either.

Interesting Terry Francona comments:

On placing a call to Mike Lowell amid rumors he was part of a potential trade to the Rockies: "He understands the nature of the business. He answered the phone with 'Now hitting sixth for the Rockies....'†:cry:

Is Manny Ramirez ready to happily rejoin the team? "I think he's OK," said Francona, who also indicated he hasn't talked to Ramirez since December. Francona said Ramirez has spoken to a couple of the clubhouse attendants. :roll:

Francona said pitcher Matt Clement is doing very well after extensive shoulder surgery, but has not yet started his throwing program. Francona said Clement will be in spring training working out with the other pitchers, but "he'll be on his own throwing program." :(

Interesting Terry Francona comments:

On placing a call to Mike Lowell amid rumors he was part of a potential trade to the Rockies: "He understands the nature of the business. He answered the phone with 'Now hitting sixth for the Rockies....'†:cry:

Is Manny Ramirez ready to happily rejoin the team? "I think he's OK," said Francona, who also indicated he hasn't talked to Ramirez since December. Francona said Ramirez has spoken to a couple of the clubhouse attendants. :roll:

Francona said pitcher Matt Clement is doing very well after extensive shoulder surgery, but has not yet started his throwing program. Francona said Clement will be in spring training working out with the other pitchers, but "he'll be on his own throwing program." :(

Manny's awesome.

And I'm sure Lowell was just joking. I hope.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/n...tory?id=2774965

Schilling will file for free agency after the season. Thoughts, tsa or medford?

Wow, I'm not sure what to think. Is that normal to make such a demand at camp? I have the feeling things aren't so smooth from the top managment down to the players. This is NOT a good way to start the season!

BTW: Manny is reporting late to camp but for conflicting reasons why. N&O had the story today. Looks like another year of "Manny Drama".

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/n...tory?id=2774965

Schilling will file for free agency after the season. Thoughts, tsa or medford?

Wow, I'm not sure what to think. Is that normal to make such a demand at camp? I have the feeling things aren't so smooth from the top managment down to the players. This is NOT a good way to start the season!

BTW: Manny is reporting late to camp but for conflicting reasons why. N&O had the story today. Looks like another year of "Manny Drama".

bump for the Sox' Grapefruit League opener tonight against the Twins

Well he ended up arriving early. Sometimes I think Manny just likes to do stuff like that to screw with the media. Its nuts how everything he does gets psychoanalyzed for days on end. I don't think most of the fans care (I don't) so long as he shows up in shape and hits.

wow you guys are into it. I am proud of you :D

I cant get into baseball until the stupid snow is gone from here. After April 1st at least. I am really looking forward to both of my teams season. I think LA with Schmidt, Penny, Lowe, Billinglsey and Kuo have a good starting 5. They also added Juan Piere to this bunch and will be a speed team this year. Which is okay with me. but him with Furcal, Normar, Kent, Betemit, Gonzales from Arizona and Either and I see a lot of runs scoring. The only loss was JD Drew. Good luck to him in Boston. He needs to stay healthy. Bullpen is pretty good as well with Saito and the other hard thrower I cant remember his name LOL

boston will be good this year. I see Pabelbon really doing well as a starter and think Shill, Beckett and Matsosaka with Wake round out a good starting rotation. I hope Lester can come back. the still own the stiff Matt clement but if healthy maybe he can be a number 5?

I am just worried bout the closer situation. I would give Pinero a chance and if need be make a trade mid season. i would not put Papelbon back there if it risks his career IMHO 2nd choice would be Donnelly who I always have liked.

It looks like it is going to be a fun year, I hope

ps- yes NY will be good but they have their own starting pitching issues as well to deal with. They need health to do well.

Since was 70 degrees here today (sorry to rub it in Medford!), it's easy to start thinking basesball!

So Manny wants to stay in Boston....today :lol:. He's gonna have a little competition with Dice-K for media attention so maybe that'll ease his media issues, of course only if he keeps his mouth quiet and does his job. So, he considers Tavarez to be his best friend on the team :shock:? Maybe they'll keep each other in check.

At least the Spanks are starting their camp with media drama too. I feel much better knowing that ARod and Jeter are still friends even though they don't go out to dinner anymore :roll:.

Yup......looks like a good year for baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since was 70 degrees here today (sorry to rub it in Medford!), it's easy to start thinking basesball!

So Manny wants to stay in Boston....today :lol:. He's gonna have a little competition with Dice-K for media attention so maybe that'll ease his media issues, of course only if he keeps his mouth quiet and does his job. So, he considers Tavarez to be his best friend on the team :shock:? Maybe they'll keep each other in check.

At least the Spanks are starting their camp with media drama too. I feel much better knowing that ARod and Jeter are still friends even though they don't go out to dinner anymore :roll:.

Yup......looks like a good year for baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, with the weather and the Canes' recent downturn, I can feel myself starting to shift into baseball mode.

DiceK makes his spring debut tomorrow.

is anyone going down to florida for spring training??

yep, I'll be down there next week. Couldn't get any Sox home game tickets, but I will get to see us play the Twins at the Twins' park. Can't wait to see how the new guys look.

yep, I'll be down there next week. Couldn't get any Sox home game tickets, but I will get to see us play the Twins at the Twins' park. Can't wait to see how the new guys look.

We'll be waiting for a full report.

We'll be waiting for a full report.

DirectTV messed up our account and has graciously given us 3 free months of total programming :D. This includes the sports package that has NESN!!!!!! This will happily bring us right through training camp and on into the start of the season. The DVR is set for Dice-K's first appearance tonight! WHooo Hoooo...thanks DTV....