The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Bold Offseason Predictions Thread

I love these threads when the season is about to begin, and with the Draft on Sunday and the Free Agency beginning five days later, I thought we could make some bold predictions.

Some of you may be wonder what the difference is between this and the Off-Season thread, and that's with this thread you don't need to base your predictions on anything. Just a gut feeling, what you want to see happen, or a crazy dream you had. And make your predictions bold. You know what I mean.

Predictions here for:
Free Agency Signings

Trades

Draft Scenarios

I'll start with a bold trade.

Carolina acquires

Tom Gilbert

Rights to RFA Cal Clutterbuck

Dany Heatley (2 million retained salary)

from Minnesota in exchange for:

Tuomo Ruutu

Jamie McBain

Carolina signs Clutterbuck to a 3 year 7.2 million dollar contract

Carolina signs Martin Gerber to a 2 year 2 million dollar contract

Carolina drafts Max Domi at fifth overall, everyone's heads explode

I hope these are decent examples of bold predictions. And have fun with it guys, we could use some stress relief after this past season.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Well no one has bitten so far.  How about ill take a stab.

Skins for Coburn and Read = +375k in cap  Coburn fills a big dman need and read semi replaces some of the O lost by Skins

5th overall and McBain for 7th, 37th pick, future pick  = +1.8mil in cap   they will need some D and we can get Lindholm at 7

Pits, the 35th pick and 2014 3rd for Staal and the rights to Clowe = +525k in cap rangers need to get back into top 2 rounds badly.  They aren't re-signing Clowe now that they aren't buying out Richards

Pick Lindholm with the 7th.

Sign Clowe 3 years 12 million = - 4 mil cap

Top 3 Lines are:

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

Clowe-Staal-Ruutu

Read-Lindholm-Dwyer

D is:

Coburn-Faulk

Staal-Gleason

Murphy-Harrison

Result is an added 2.6 mil to the payroll plus whatever Lindholm's cap tag is. 59.6 million payroll with whatever Lindholm's tag (last season's is a 1.6 mil cap hit).  So, a 61.2 mil cap hit.  Leaves us 3.2 mil for a backup goalie (which I don't expect us to come close to using all of it). 

Interesting. I'd say that second line looks more like a third line though. We sacrifice some offense for defense, give to get. I wouldn't be devastated but I wouldn't be ecstatic.

With my Minnesota trade, top 3 lines would look like

Tlusty - Staal - Semin

Heatley - Staal - Dwyer/Nichushkin

Clutterbuck - Skinner - Nichushkin/Dwyer

Defense:

Pitkanen - Faulk

Gleason - Gilbert

Harrison - Murphy/Bellemore

Edited by SuckaPunchd

If we get our forward I think Skinner is gonna be gone. I think we get Coburn from the flyers for Mcbain and a draft pick.. maybe 3rd round? I am not sure yet who we would trade skinner for. I just have a feeling.

I'll say we don't trade Skinner. Too valuable to get full value. We have yet to see the best of Skinner. JR does not want to have traded the guy who puts up 40 goals next year at age 21.

The concussions could be an issue, but if not he is a perennial All Star. 

Before he got off track I really saw signs of a guy learning to better play off of other guys. He is still a blast to watch and sells tickets. 

Further, Skinner was a bit of a "JR is a genius" pick, one of his best. Not likely to trade that guy.

Not really a bold prediction so how about:

Skinner puts up 35 goals next year and pushes 40.

Edited by remkin

About Skinner and hoping he puts up 40 next year.  Remember Staal's second season? 45 goals, 55 asst. great season, and we are still wiating for him to repeat. When you factor in the concussions and style of play, may be time to look for a trade.

I'm predicting Dinz wont make a prediction.  Oops... Well, then I'm predicting that I will retroactively miss-predict a prediction.  So, the prediction is........ we land Jagr, make the playoffs, and win the Cup.

Also, Cindy Crosby is bitten by a vampire and becomes the first openly undead hockey player in the NHL (there are a couple in the KHL already).  Next he kills a government-created Bin Laden clone/cyborg who goes on a rampage after escaping from Guantanamo Bay.  Then Crosby flies to the sun to prevent it from going supernova.  While in space he pulverizes a planet-crusher type asteroid with the help of Bruce Willis and a oil drilling crew, then fights off an alien race of frog people who come to Earth to strip us of our vital supply of flying insects (think Independence Day, only bigger with more explosions and no Randy Quaid).  He feeds the world's hungry with the oversized frog legs, then he returns to Earth with a concussion, sits out 3/4 of a season, scores more than expected and goes on the be named the Hart Trophy winner.  Pittsburgh still makes the playoffs and everyone talks about them non-stop even though they lose the first round.

... it could happen.

I'm predicting Dinz wont make a prediction.  Oops... Well, then I'm predicting that I will retroactively miss-predict a prediction.  So, the prediction is........ we land Jagr, make the playoffs, and win the Cup.

Also, Cindy Crosby is bitten by a vampire and becomes the first openly undead hockey player in the NHL (there are a couple in the KHL already).  Next he kills a government-created Bin Laden clone/cyborg who goes on a rampage after escaping from Guantanamo Bay.  Then Crosby flies to the sun to prevent it from going supernova.  While in space he pulverizes a planet-crusher type asteroid with the help of Bruce Willis and a oil drilling crew, then fights off an alien race of frog people who come to Earth to strip us of our vital supply of flying insects (think Independence Day, only bigger with more explosions and no Randy Quaid).  He feeds the world's hungry with the oversized frog legs, then he returns to Earth with a concussion, sits out 3/4 of a season, scores more than expected and goes on the be named the Hart Trophy winner.  Pittsburgh still makes the playoffs and everyone talks about them non-stop even though they lose the first round.

... it could happen.

This is why I try not to post while under the influence. :spin:

I keeeed. I keeeeed. Very creative. :D

This is why I try not to post while under the influence. :spin:

I keeeed. I keeeeed. Very creative. :D

HEY!  I'm not as think as you drunk I am.  OK?!

:P