The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

What lindholm brings to the table

he is a decent player  at best , he makes good choices when he does have the puck on his stick .  

think of  gritty  , defensive minded  forward , that plays a  two way  style .  he can go in and  get to the dirty areas on the ice and push it out . he sacrifices his body when is needed ,

areas he is good at

penalty killer  

aggressive

plays with his head up 

power player down low 

does not take a shift off 

areas that he needs work on 

his skating 

his passing 

his shooting 

his checking 

his positioning 

winning face offs 

when will we likely see him play with the canes ? 2015 at best . 

your ranting about this pick is comical.  Nish was a risk and the 6th GM was finally ready to take it.  This was a good pick.  He is the youngest guy in the draft and as a 17 year old, he was playing with more play recognition than guys that had playing in the Swedish league for years. 

he is a decent player  at best , he makes good choices when he does have the puck on his stick .  

think of  gritty  , defensive minded  forward , that plays a  two way  style .  he can go in and  get to the dirty areas on the ice and push it out . he sacrifices his body when is needed ,

areas he is good at

penalty killer  

aggressive

plays with his head up 

power player down low 

does not take a shift off 

areas that he needs work on 

his skating 

his passing 

his shooting 

his checking 

his positioning 

winning face offs 

when will we likely see him play with the canes ? 2015 at best . 

This is a complete joke, you obviously didn't even bother to research Lindholm. He is considered a very good skater and a "gifted playmaker." His hockey IQ/play without the puck is said to be as good as when he does have the puck. He is also a sneaky player who is good at stealing the puck from players, and he is physical as needed.

These are all pretty much direct quotes from scouts. Stop embarrassing yourself.

CBS Sports states..."Lindholm will likely remain in Sweden for another year before coming over to the US to play for the Hurricanes."

Any way you cut it, that's disappointing for holding the 5th pick in such a stocked draft.

I guess I was expecting more (sooner).

Honestly don't know the specifics about the guy.  But with so many players that are supposedly NHL ready I am disappointing that the Canes top pick will not be available for at least another year.  The Canes could have used a top-notch draft pick to spur season ticket sales

thats where you are wrong .  i've looked at the top 15 talented players for the first round . there was no reason to bring up lindholm other than where i sought him in my mock drafts . other than that  , i did not see him being projected at  5th . i seriously thought he would go at 8th or 9th ,  possibly at 7th at best .  but  this is not the case ,  

among european players  he was ranked 3rd  ,  guess who was 1st ? barkov , which means 2nd was none other than nichushkin .  i knew  that back in early may , . and i didnt think we would get barkov .  and as for lindholm it was a forgone conclusion he would go after our pick .  

now what does this mean ultimately ? it means he  is not as high on the skill level as projected .  which means nichushkin being better than lindholm .    , this is why i cant stand  talking to combine thinkers  , they don't look at the game and only go by what fancy  statistics someone can do thats in no way hockey related . ooooh so someone can grab harder than the other person  or jump higher .  if we were going by combine results back in gretzkys time  , the great one would not even be on the list .     it does not matter . there are areas that lindholm needs to work on , i know some idiots like to think he may be the next peter forsberg , but in my opinion he isnt .

I'm curious how you settled on your opinion since it seems so strongly negative on this pick.  In the above are you saying it is based on mock drafts and projections (yours or others)?  I see your perspective about Combine results, but what are the roots of your opinion?

Yes, I am just a combine thinker. I just like Lindholm because he can jump....whatever. I mentioned he had a good combine (and that was the extent of my comment, and I was referring as much to the interview process/character as much as any physical abilities), but apparently you are obsessed with it. I like how you ignore all the other points I made in this thread and the poll thread, which pretty much debunks all of these baseless claims you make. You said you researched the top 15 picks but make comments which are contradictory to what has pretty much been universally said about Lindholm. Almost every comment I made about Lindholm is about his on ice attributes, but in your little mind I am focused on the combine. I never even mentioned things like high jump, grip strength, etc.. You either lack reading comprehension skills, or you are just purposely being an *edit*.

Edited by Kyrule

CBS Sports states..."Lindholm will likely remain in Sweden for another year before coming over to the US to play for the Hurricanes."

Any way you cut it, that's disappointing for holding the 5th pick in such a stocked draft.

Wrong. If Lindholm excels at camp and makes the team, he can play here next season. He would only return to Sweden if he fails to make the roster this year.

I wanted Nichushkin but after looking at Lindholm's skill set he has what it takes to be the next Peter Forsberg. This is a safe pick that should help the canes in the long run.

Some of you guys are so negative it's like you give nothing a chance. Take the time to learn and then form an opinion.

You know who Lindholm reminds me of after actually looking into his highlights and statistics and reading about his playing style? Rod Brind'Amour. Minus the freakish conditioning, but I imagine that came after he was drafted.

Stats:

501b.png

Awards:

2009-2010 J18 SM Gold Medal 2010-2011 J18 SM Bronze Medal 2011-2012 Elitserien Champion   J20 SuperElit (Overall) Most Points by U18 Junior(49)   J20 SuperElit (Top) Most Points (22)   J20 SuperElit Best Forward   U18 WJC Silver Medal 2012-2013 Elitserien Most Points by Junior (30)   Elitserien Rookie of the Year Nominee (1 of 4)

U20 WJC Silver Medal

HOWEVER, to quote a BleacherReport article:

The one thing the 'Canes didn't have was a good ol' traditional prospect—the kind of prospect with plenty of talent but another year or two of development ahead of him.

Lindholm possesses "high-end offensive skills, displaying plus skating ability," per Corey Pronmanof Hockey Prospectus, yet he remains under contract through next spring in Sweden. In other words,Lindholm is exactly that type of prospect.

Most people seem to think he has a year or two of developing to go. But, it seems like that was the thought based on his contract with Brynas. I'd say considering he's already playing versus men, he doesn't really have as much developing needed to play in the NHL. He may have a lot of development ahead of him, but I think he's developed enough to make the roster this season, especially with a third line center being a need and Muller may have had a say in this pick considering that's the most likely destination for Lindholm and Muller's idea of the third line of a hockey roster being the most important part. The only thing is he only took 67 faceoffs last season, winning 58% of them. That's not much to go off of if you're planning on making a third line around him. 

Playing this past season with Brynas of the SEL as an 18-year old, Lindholm was a big player on a team that struggled for much of the season. A speedy two-way forward with elite playmaking ability, Lindholm is regarded as one of the more intelligent players in the draft as well as possessing incredible leadership qualities that projects him to become a formidable two-way player in the NHL similar to many of the great forwards to come out of Sweden in the past two decades.

So, if you're going to bash a player, especially one you barely know, get some facts to back up your claims. All of what the OP says is coming out of your  :censored: .

To be fair, I was disappointed, and angry at JR for seemingly drafting someone we'd have to wait for, which should never be the case with a draft this deep at fifth overall, but now looking at things it seems like we won't really have to wait. If we do, I'd probably revert to we should've drafted someone else, but for now I'm actually starting to like this.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

we have an entire 2013 -2014 season to see how both nichushkin and lindholm turn out .  after the season is done we will all see where both players rank in terms of their respective season , even though i think nichushkin is clearly the better choice  over  lindholm  , even scouts  agree  with this .  we will see how productive each has been to their team . 

among north american players  jones was ranked 1st but dropped to 4th .  not one of us saw that coming , just as none of us saw  nichushkin dropping to tenth , . when i said i am upset with this pick it's entirely justified  .  nichushkin was 2nd among european players . 

people want to diminish nichushkins character  simply because he is russian ,  and given the track record of the outright hatred for russians  , no wonder why we selected lindholm over nichushkin , it seems to be a trendy thing to do around here . 

in case you are wondering , lindholm was ranked 3rd  among european players , but over all terms he is more of a projection of 8th or 9th in terms of talent wise.  given the fact this years draft pool is deep , jim went with a safe bet  .  not the best to pick . and also that this year was more based around draft needs instead of draft wants . this is how it all went down 

now im not saying lindholm is a bad player by any means ,  he has a lot of strengths that are great about him, but compared to nichushkins , lindholms skills  in my opinion dont  come close to what the canes really need going into this season , and thats even if lindholm makes the team 

like i have said before , so i will say it one more time in case  you missed it .  LINDHOLM is not a bad player . 

<------------------- and this some guy off the internet  got most of his facts from scouts for this years draft class.  

also watching video does not hurt either .  a little place called youtube has plenty of footage on most of these players  detailing where they are skill wise . 

even in the interview lindholm himself said he thought he was projected 5th-9th  , given the practicality  it could of been possible for lindholm to be drafted 8th or 9th . 

i do find it funny though . the one person who makes a topic about our draft pick talking about  his areas at where he is good at vs where he needs work on , i being the creator get bashed .     any way it does not matter 

lindholm was a  safe pick .   we will see what he can do for the canes .  

and i hope he proves me wrong . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Well you should probably share the sources of where your getting your facts or whatever you are using to base your opinions on. Just saying. Also, I am probably the person on the forum who was most vocal about Nichushkin and wanting him. He still can be the next Malkin/Nash. But Lindholm has certain factors to him that can be just as important as skill, which he has as well. So I'd say he has potential to be a really important piece of the team in the future. More so than Nichushkin potentially. But we won't know for sure until the next few seasons play out.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I really don't think not picking Nich was a Russian factor. If a North American skater had laid the I play in the NHL or I'm going to the KHL scenario on teams I think there would have been plenty of GM's that would have bought that player a ticket on the first plane out of town..  There is no doubt in my mind Nich has the talent. I'm not sure how it will translate to the NHL. He could be the next superstar or the biggest bust ever. We weren't in a position to take the risk.

It looks to me like Lindholm was our target all along. When we couldn't make the trade down we took who we wanted. I would say its 50/50 if he plays in the NHL next season but he could. Our third line needs help and I think he has a chance to skate center or wing on it next season. If camp proves he isn't ready and he goes back to Sweden for another year it won't be the end of the world. I think his future is bright and he will be a top 6 before long.

If Lindholm excels at camp and makes the team, he can play here next season. He would only return to Sweden if he fails to make the roster this year.

Please provide a link to your source that confirms this spin.

I find the atmosphere on this board ignorant and borderline comical.  It's ignorant because i can nearly guarantee none of you have seen nich or lindholm play a full game.  You're mainly going off what other people say, which baffles me how so many seem to have such strong opinions about who we should and shouldn't draft.  The pro-Nich camp keeps reiterating all the good things they've heard, but choose to ignore the many bad.  And if the guy was such a sure thing, he wouldn't have dropped 5 more slots.  And as good as being compared malkin sounds, being compared to forsberg is nothing to scoff at.  6'0 191 is a fairly decent size for an 18yr old.  And to point out, there's no guarantee lindholm would've been available at number 8-9, and like JR said, we ended up getting the player we would've got anyways without moving out of position.

I myself was hoping they'd trade the pick for a true #1 defenseman, and i was leaning more in the monaghan camp, but i wasn't upset at the pick.  And JR has a good track record with his 1st rounders with the exception of boychuck.  And if we're in a win now mode, i certainly wouldn't rely on a rookie to come in and put up 60+ pts.  I really don't see the big deal.

I find the atmosphere on this board ignorant and borderline comical.  It's ignorant because i can nearly guarantee none of you have seen nich or lindholm play a full game.  You're mainly going off what other people say, which baffles me how so many seem to have such strong opinions about who we should and shouldn't draft.  The pro-Nich camp keeps reiterating all the good things they've heard, but choose to ignore the many bad.  And if the guy was such a sure thing, he wouldn't have dropped 5 more slots.  And as good as being compared malkin sounds, being compared to forsberg is nothing to scoff at.  6'0 191 is a fairly decent size for an 18yr old.  And to point out, there's no guarantee lindholm would've been available at number 8-9, and like JR said, we ended up getting the player we would've got anyways without moving out of position.

I myself was hoping they'd trade the pick for a true #1 defenseman, and i was leaning more in the monaghan camp, but i wasn't upset at the pick.  And JR has a good track record with his 1st rounders with the exception of boychuck.  And if we're in a win now mode, i certainly wouldn't rely on a rookie to come in and put up 60+ pts.  I really don't see the big deal.

Just wondering which team or professional scouting service you work for? I mean since you've chosen to malign the opinion of anyone who hasn't spent hours and hours breaking down film and somehow watching entire Swedish Elite and KHL and Canadian Junior hockey games, I have to assume that since you offer your opinion, that you have. Clearly then, we would all gain much by learning from what you've seen in your trips to various foreign rinks and your hard gained direct knowledge of these prospects.

Since you are an expert, though, I'd have hoped for a bit more than rehashing of "if" "then" opinions of others. Just pretty thin stuff for a professional scout to be honest.

I'm putting things in perspective.  None of us are gm's or scouts.  But if we're going by word of mouth, lindholm fits this team far better than Nich does.  What the point i was trying to get across was scouts aren't always right and you could have all the tools in the world but it's still going to be a gamble because your success doesn't always carry over to the nhl.  I just get tired of people bashing the team over the tiniest things.

For the record, i'm actually extremely happy about who we picked up.  Sweds have a history of hard working players.  He has decent size, and has already played against experienced players.  It should be exciting to see what he can do around better offensive players.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17