The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

What lindholm brings to the table

I obviously don't know what happened on draft day but it would have been my goal to deal the pick, get a defensemen who could help and go down a few picks to get Nurse while still getting the value of the 5th overall pick. It didn't happen that way and according to the media we got the D-man we were trying to get with that pick anyway for the 2nd rounder.

I agree that we need to focus on D-men in the draft but the truth is it'd be years before they made the team "usually" not always. Seth Jones was a pipe dream, it's amazing he came as close as he did and Nurse wasn't worth the 5th overall pick.

I think at some point if this defense doesn't mesh this year it's time to deal a forward for an equal defensemen. His name is likely Skinner. Not saying it's what I want to happen but as some point you gotta give something to get something rather then constantly moving middle of the road players for the same in return.

Banking the season on whether Lindholm is ready or not is not the best way of going about it.

I'd say the season is more in the hands of the guys making more then 3 mil a year.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Pronger made the NHL All-Rookie Team in his first year in the league, Chara was a reliable stay-at-home Dman for his first four NHL seasons (Isles), and Tyler Myers was rookie of the year. He was injured two seasons after winning the Calder and has been in a (delayed) sophomore slump since, but I doubt the Sabres will regret his contract in the long run.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess, but that doesn't alter my hope that Lindholm not only decides to show up but makes the team and makes an impact. Lord knows we need it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think Lindholm will be a good fit.  I would like to see Lindholm play center on the 3rd line with Skinner and Dalpe as his wingers.  Skinner and Dalpe have good chemistry and adding Lindholm and his assist ability...I feel like this can only help.  Anyone have any ideas on what line you would want to see Lindholm on?

I think Lindholm will be a good fit.  I would like to see Lindholm play center on the 3rd line with Skinner and Dalpe as his wingers.  Skinner and Dalpe have good chemistry and adding Lindholm and his assist ability...I feel like this can only help.  Anyone have any ideas on what line you would want to see Lindholm on?

I might like that line next year, but I would hesitate to put that much inexperience on the ice together.  I think it could be a decent line IF Dalpe works his butt off.  Dalpe and Skinner are both a little light in the defensive zone. 

Skinner - Lindholm - Dwyer seems capable of scoring at a good pace, and not be that weak defensively. Dwyer's speed and backchecking will cover for Skinner's offensive focus. Lindholm potentially can keep up with Skinner offensively, and is smart and quick enough to keep up with Dwyer on the backcheck. Pretty even line. Only question that it raises is, who takes Skinner's LW spot on the second line?

Answer: Brendan Morrow.

:grin:

I think if we sign Morrow, he is a better fit playing with Skinner and Lindholm.  He would provide the toughness and mentorship they both need.  That would likely leave Rask and Dalpe to battle for the spot on the second line.  I would give the edge to Rask as he is a better two-way player.

I think if we sign Morrow, he is a better fit playing with Skinner and Lindholm.  He would provide the toughness and mentorship they both need.  That would likely leave Rask and Dalpe to battle for the spot on the second line.  I would give the edge to Rask as he is a better two-way player.

I doubt Dwyer drops to the 4th. Morrow would fit perfectly with Jordan and Ruutu as well. It's hard to say. Hopefully we sign him and find out :P

Skinner-Lindholm-Dwyer is too small of a line, there needs to be at least some size/toughness. Lindholm is probably going to be the most physical, but he is only 18 and still growing. Lindholm should play with at least someone who is going to be physical and look after him, not on a line where he has to stick up for his small/nonphysical linemates. This is exactly what I am afraid of. In a few years Lindholm will likely be able to take care of himself, but at 18 he shouldn't bear this burden.

I feel pretty confident Morrow's days in the top-6 are likely over, at least if I believe everything I've read, and any team that brings him in probably won't expect that role from him, including us.

I'd like to see Skinner and Lindholm together (I can wait, but someday) although in the short term I'd like to see somebody other than Patty Dwyer beside them, assuming Lindholm sticks.

And speaking of Dwyer, he still has a job, even at 0.1 ppg. :usa:

Edited by coastal_caniac

Can we come to an understanding that being successful in the NHL is much more than putting up points? :( Also, I feel that line is fine. They're going to get sheltered minutes and face the some of the worst the opposition has to offer. If we do sign Morrow I'd like him on a line with Skinner and Lindholm as much as I'd like him on a line with Jordan and Ruutu. Skinner was dynamite when he had Cole on his line. Since he's been okay, streaks and shimmers of elite shine through, but he's been his best with Cole. Morrow is a similar player to Cole, minus the speed. So Morrow with Skinner and Lindholm seems like a nice line. However, since Skinner has primarily played LW in the NHL, I wonder if he'll be able to work on the RW without any problem. Or maybe Lindholm doesn't grab the center and Skinner does. The one thing I don't like about Skinner and Lindholm with Morrow instead of Dwyer is that Morrow is slow, and it would be hard for him to keep up with them. If he was on a line with less speedy guys like Jordan and Ruutu, he'd be involved in the play more. Just my opinion. (I'm not saying Jordan and Ruutu are slow, but they are slower than Skinner and Lindholm, thus it would be easier to keep up with them).

If being successful is more then putting up points our 3rd and 4th lines are fine the way they stand.

That would be true if they excelled in a different aspect of the game. They don't, really. They aren't amazing defensively and they certainly aren't great physically. 

ESPN included Lindholm among their impact rookie forwards for next year.  

Impact rookie forwards for 2013-14 in.gif

Elias Lindholm, (Carolina Hurricanes). The 18-year-old versatile forward couldn't ask for a greater endorsement than this, really. GM Jim Rutherford himself said he will be "shocked" if Lindholm doesn't start the season with the Hurricanes. Not that bold a statement, perhaps, considering the 2013 fifth-overall selection spent all of last season (and part of 2011-12) playing with Brynas of the top Swedish pro league. There's no doubt, he can manage himself on the ice in the company of men. Plus, beyond their top-six forwards, the Hurricanes' roster looks weak and incomplete. Feel free to pencil in Lindholm as a third-line center at this stage.

Plus, beyond their top-six forwards, the Hurricanes' roster looks weak and incomplete. 

One more piece JR. One more....