The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

2013 Draft Day Winners and Losers

Naturally time will tell, but I wanted to take a look around the NHL "the day after."  

For what its worth, here's my list of winners (it will be humbling to look back this time next year)...  so lets all go "on the record"... shall we?

MY 6  2013 DRAFT DAY WINNERS

BUFFALO
They walked away with two of the top-5 d-men in the draft...
huge massive bodies in Ristolainen (6-4) and Zadorov (6-5).

PREDs
Seth Jones at #4... they'll be happy about this for a LONG LONG time.
If only we had the 4th pick, heartbreaking to me.

NJ
Landing the 10th to 15th best starting NHL goalie for the #9 pick? Not bad at all!! Lou!!

STARS
Landing a top-5 talent at #10? That's nice, very nice indeed! 

AVs
They got the #1 pick... Nathan MacKinnon. Nuff said!

Detroit Red Wings
A number of great value picks yesterday!  
As I've been saying for a while, we need to
get Mark Howe here in Carolina if we're serious about a "winning culture" -- sorry JR/Ronnie!
Image Howe as our GM - wow!!

Our Canes??? 
Its hard for me to feel great compared to what the others above did.
Lindholm is hardly a scoring machine and if his ETA ends up being 2014-15, its safe to say JR and Ronnie kind'a blew it.

On the more 1/2 full side, if he plays in OCT and our new D-man pans out, then we'll be in a much better place!

i would not say there were many losers if any yesterday , this years draft class was pretty big , although i can say which teams became better because of their picks 

colorado 

florida 

tampa 

nashville 

calgary

buffalo

vancouver 

dalas 

montreal 

detroit 

new jersey 

carolina 

thats pretty much it .  

Unless JR has something up his sleeve, I rate this draft a D-.

We needed defense. Rumor has it that Buffalo offered us Sekera and the #8 pick in exchange for the #5. We could have had two solid D-men right there, getting Sekera and either Risto or Nurse. Instead the Sabres walk away with the defensemen and we get a down-the-road prospect. I think JR has had it. If PK doesnt pull the trigger on him after this year, PNC Arena is going to be awfully quiet in the Fall of 2014.

Trade Skinner now and get some defense on this team!

Unless JR has something up his sleeve, I rate this draft a D-.

We needed defense. Rumor has it that Buffalo offered us Sekera and the #8 pick in exchange for the #5. We could have had two solid D-men right there, getting Sekera and either Risto or Nurse. Instead the Sabres walk away with the defensemen and we get a down-the-road prospect. I think JR has had it. If PK doesnt pull the trigger on him after this year, PNC Arena is going to be awfully quiet in the Fall of 2014.

Trade Skinner now and get some defense on this team!

So you are saying that Nurse and Ristolainen are a lock to be effective d-men next year and Lindhom will need a year or two to make it to the NHL? This may happen, but the exact opposite is the more likely scenario historically speaking.

i would never trade skinner unless it was for  stamkos or crosby or malkin 

that being said , i would not say we ranked as  -d 

more like a c+  

we did address some areas that was needed in the later rounds , and who knows how well pesce might turn out , he is a big shut down d-man that can pass the puck ,  not to sure about his skating or shooting  but we will see when and if he makes the jump in the next couple of years., 

as for bringing in sekera . i know what he can do on offense , i don't know how well he is on defense .  

as for guys we already have in the system , they will make the jump . ryan murphy being a small guy has a lot of skill and grit  to play next year . 

Guys, can we please get back to listing the teams you think had the best/worse draft days... (and your reasoning)?

If you really love what the Canes did great... top-5 draft?  
If you hate JRs moves (or lack of them)... bottom-5 draft?

What about NJ -- did they just steal a STUD starting goalie (for a #9) or what?  

Dallas landing Nich at #10... etc... 

I'd say we did B+, A+ easily if Lindholm plays with the team next season.

Initially I was confused and upset on the way things turned out, but think about what we did.

At fifth overall, we drafted Lindholm, who even if he doesn't make the league immediately is pretty much guaranteed to be an NHL player in the next three years.

--Lindholm will make the roster and stick in North America. Why wouldn't he? He's already playing against talent above and beyond any Junior league. Not to mention he's one of the easiest to coach players in the draft, which is a no-brainer answer to the question of his ability to contribute in the NHL right now.

We got rid of a player the organization lost faith in and in the same move replaced him with a much better defenseman. Maybe losing the second round pick was tough, but we addressed our biggest need with not just a solid defenseman, but a defenseman that fits very snugly into Muller's system.

The remaining three picks were used to draft big, physical players.

--Pesce has every opportunity to follow in Faulk's footsteps and develop his defensive game in collegiate hockey with UNH for the next few years, if he wins a championship he may move on from college hockey sooner. 

--Peterson's description is basically describing the player that the Hurricanes have lacked for years now. He's a big, physical forward who uses his size and strength to win puck battles and dishes them to his linemates who, because of his style, often find open ice. He's steadily improving as well, and his biggest need of work is skating. He stands up for his teammates and is a tough customer in a fight.

--Ganly is a big physical defenseman who was the anchor of the second pairing in Sault Ste. Maries (the great defensively team Nurse played on as well). "“He’s a real good skater. We feel he’s got a lot of upside,” MacDonald said. “He’s developing quickly, and I don’t think we’ve seen the best from him yet.”"  Like Peterson, he is physical. He makes clean hard hits that grab attention of the opposing team, look at the Peterson v. Ganly fight. Ganly makes a hard clean hit, and Peterson stands up for his teammate. Both aspects from both sides are sorely needed here, and the best way to build that and instill it in the team's mentality is to develop it from within, starting at the draft.

So everyone we drafted filled a specific need or role that this team has been lacking. And we dealt a player many wanted gone in exchange for the type of player many wanted, and that the team needed. Where did we go wrong? Because we didn't draft the guy you wanted? Tough, they didn't draft the specific player that I wanted either. Does that mean we did bad? No. Especially if Lindholm plays next year, the guys a complete package. His contract with Sweden made many seem he was off limits until 2014/15, but as we've found out that's not entirely true.

Other teams:

Col : MacKinnon, didn't let the media and rumors dictate what they were doing. They picked their favorite player in a group of elite talent and stuck with it. Good for them.

FL: Not surprised at all with Barkov there. In fact, they were smart to let Drouin go. Fills a need there and finally building a real standout top line. Huberdeau and Barkov just need a veteran guy with lots of gas in the tank and plenty of lessons to teach to complete it.

TB: They basically just found their next St. Louis, only this one was actually drafted :P

Nash: Jones at 4, man oh man why couldn't we lose a few more :o lol

Dal: Might have a super serious steal at 10th overall with Nichushkin. Now if Cole sticks around I'm going to look forward to a Cole - whoever - Nichushkin power line.

Obviously Calgary and Columbus might make out the best. They each at three first rounders I believe. Only time will tell, but I think these two are going to have some light at the end of the tunnel now. Columbus moreso than Calgary, because Feaster is just plain killing that organization. And Kekalainen has shown he's serious about building a contender, not just making the playoffs.

NJ had a memorable draft as well, acquiring Shcneider, their goalie for the immediate future (hehe) and then having Martin Brodeur draft his own son Anthony, a potential goalie for the far future.

Montreal made out like bandits, getting Fucale at 36th?! And McCarron, who can be the next Lucic type winger at 25th.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

SPunch...   A+  really? Wow?

So are you saying you like JR's draft day moves, as of right now, more than

BUFFALO? The PREDs? NJ?

When one considers the team's needs and the fact we are severely soft as a team? I'm in love with our 3rd, 5th, and 6th round picks. Chances are those guys don't make the league, obviously, so we might as well draft what we lack. They'll get some time in our system and that mentality and physicality can rub off on other prospects. Just like Lindholm's work ethic could rub off onto our NHL roster. Buffalo did well, but they were poised to pull that off. We had a pick that no one wanted because Nichushkin's value plummeted for some reason, so everyone else felt safe their guy would be there when they picked, or the teams trying to move up from late in the first round only had real good forwards to offer. With what we had and our needs, we did great. Lindholm was the safest bet in the draft. I'm glad we took that, much better than gambling considering our failures developing our prospects lately. 

You can't compare team to team like that, you can only look at what they did and compare that with their options and the team's needs, wants, and system. Everything we did filled a necessity, and has the potential to build a certain mindset within the organization. In Charlotte, at camp, obviously in the NHL. You can argue Nichushkin's size, physicality, and strength would be a bigger need in Carolina than a third line center, but Lindholm would make our third line a very good line, and it falls right into place with Muller's vision for the third line and it's role for the team. 

When one considers the team's needs and the fact we are severely soft as a team? I'm in love with our 3rd, 5th, and 6th round picks. Chances are those guys don't make the league, obviously, so we might as well draft what we lack. They'll get some time in our system and that mentality and physicality can rub off on other prospects. Just like Lindholm's work ethic could rub off onto our NHL roster. Buffalo did well, but they were poised to pull that off. We had a pick that no one wanted because Nichushkin's value plummeted for some reason, so everyone else felt safe their guy would be there when they picked, or the teams trying to move up from late in the first round only had real good forwards to offer. With what we had and our needs, we did great. Lindholm was the safest bet in the draft. I'm glad we took that, much better than gambling considering our failures developing our prospects lately. 

You can't compare team to team like that, you can only look at what they did and compare that with their options and the team's needs, wants, and system. Everything we did filled a necessity, and has the potential to build a certain mindset within the organization. In Charlotte, at camp, obviously in the NHL. You can argue Nichushkin's size, physicality, and strength would be a bigger need in Carolina than a third line center, but Lindholm would make our third line a very good line, and it falls right into place with Muller's vision for the third line and it's role for the team. 

you don't know that .  i remember when brindamour would be playing and some players would not put as much effort as he did and  because they relied on rod to carry the load they would take a shift off .  now that was not true for all players ,  but some times . 

you don't know that .  i remember when brindamour would be playing and some players would not put as much effort as he did and  because they relied on rod to carry the load they would take a shift off .  now that was not true for all players ,  but some times . 

It's true, I don't know. But one can hope, can he not?  :pray:

So you are saying that Nurse and Ristolainen are a lock to be effective d-men next year and Lindhom will need a year or two to make it to the NHL? This may happen, but the exact opposite is the more likely scenario historically speaking.

Nothing is in stone for any draftee. However, assuming that we currently have offensive capabilities (and I think we do), it only makes sense to go for Def. My take is that very few teams are looking at dealing experienced defensemen without getting a lot in return. This team is going absolutely no where fast without a big, hungry defenseman to bang bodies up front. Gleason cant do it on his own and Joni is not hungry anymore. We needed another Faulk.

I saw no choice but to either take the best d-man available or trade down to get some D. We did neither and we're no better talent-wise than we were at the end of last season. We need size AND depth on Def. We have neither. Unless JR does something, this team is not going to the playoffs. BTW, I'm a STH and this really angers me.

LOL. Skinner for Crosby/Malkin or Stamkos. Ok, I'll bite. Hate to say it, but Skinner's only got a few years left:

* He's too small and takes too many chances with his body

* He's a target

* He's already had a concussion (more may be coming considering the way he plays)

Trade him now for a proven defenseman and move on.

This area gets too caught up in personalities. Chad LaRose? Please. He's bag of pucks material in a trade, but mention his name and old timer fans go nuts claiming that he's so great. We had people sitting next to us last year trying to tell us how great McBain is. LaRose and McBain are great examples of mediocre (to just plain bad) hockey players. After paying for 4 years of full STs (and no playoffs) I'm not making excuses for this team anymore. We need to get some defense in here now. Oh, who's our backup goalie this year? Looks like Peters. God help us.

i would never trade skinner unless it was for  stamkos or crosby or malkin 

that being said , i would not say we ranked as  -d 

more like a c+  

we did address some areas that was needed in the later rounds , and who knows how well pesce might turn out , he is a big shut down d-man that can pass the puck ,  not to sure about his skating or shooting  but we will see when and if he makes the jump in the next couple of years., 

as for bringing in sekera . i know what he can do on offense , i don't know how well he is on defense .  

as for guys we already have in the system , they will make the jump . ryan murphy being a small guy has a lot of skill and grit  to play next year . 

A Rating...

Moving Mcworthless and getting what appears to be a decent D-man.... thats worth an A!!

Now move Pits, Skins, LaRose and Trip... and its an A-Plus for sure.....

The ones that dont like lindholm had the man crush on nich, they will be changing their minds soon :)