The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Who is the mystery guy who wants to come here ?

My point was not that we don't need more defense; my thought was I want line depth more, we addressed our defensive needs this offseason obviously its not perfect but ifs leaps better than last year IMO. It was my hope not to bring in a 3rd line guy, but a top 6 guy. A top 9 made up of top 6 guys much like J. Staal playing 3rd line for the Pens. Giving us the ability to come at teams every shift...

Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin

Ruutu-J.Staal-Free Agent?

Skinner-Lindolm-Dwyer

Checkers-Nash-Westgarth

This leaves a slot for competition on the Checkers for the last slot. In all likelihood it won't be but I will root for that slot to be Jared Staal's for the majority of the season, having the 3 playing together brought so much attention and excitment to the team last season. And though it was a very small sample size I like how hard Jared played every shift in his game against Rangers last season. He fought for the puck and used his body to wear down the other team...sound familiar? haha

Agree, Jared certainly played harder than Jordan did at any point last year.  Also agree, with your not pening in Bowman. He's had a chance and not really done that much. I would much rather they give those minutes to Terry, Dalpe, etc as somebody certainly will have more upside.

Can  Hainsey  hit as hard as Gleason??  i know i have mentioned it , and mentioned it, but we have to win the battle along the boards.. Im feeling good about  Murphy too, added weight, and speed to burn..

Why is moving out a defenseman to add one that is better than one we have on the roster so confusing?  The idea that it is confusing just blows my mind.  Paralysis by analysis I guess.

It is like dating in your teens and twenties......About trading up until you can not trade up anymore.

It is like dating in your teens and twenties......About trading up until you can not trade up anymore.

Ah hah!  So that's how I ended up marrying someone twenty years older!  ;)

It doesn't seem likely a move is coming. Like I said I hoped we wold sign a free agent and was hoping we could do so without having to move anyone. In my opinion as this team is currently constructed that it is 1 forward from being a top 4 team in the Eastern Conference. We showed a glimpse of it last season early in the year earning 9 out of a possible 12 points on a tough road trip. Our current roster has taken a step forward from last years and with another player could be truly and consistently potent.

It doesn't seem likely a move is coming. Like I said I hoped we wold sign a free agent and was hoping we could do so without having to move anyone. In my opinion as this team is currently constructed that it is 1 forward from being a top 4 team in the Eastern Conference. We showed a glimpse of it last season early in the year earning 9 out of a possible 12 points on a tough road trip. Our current roster has taken a step forward from last years and with another player could be truly and consistently potent.

So "as is" how many wins do you see for this current Canes roster in its first 5 games against:

RED WINGS
FLYERS
PENGUINS
CAPITALS
KINGS

Who are we better than in that group?

So "as is" how many wins do you see for this current Canes roster in its first 5 games against:

RED WINGS

FLYERS

PENGUINS

CAPITALS

KINGS

How about we just let the season play out? Fact is when we had an intact team, we were better than some of those teams. We may not be as consistent as some of those teams, but we're not as bad as you're trying to make us out to be. Our team has made improvements on paper, which until the season starts is all we can go by.

RED WINGS
FLYERS
PENGUINS
CAPITALS
KINGS

Personally, I'd say at least 3!! Kings will likely have playoff hangover, Flyers and Capitals area both in disarray and have a lot to sort out. Detroit seems to need awhile before they pick up steam. That leaves the Penguins. Of course, as Penalty says, let's see how the season as well as the pre-season play out before we go into the" Woe is me" mode.

.... but we're not as bad as you're trying to make us out to be. Our team has made improvements on paper, which until the season starts is all we can go by.

As "bad" as I'm trying to make my team, the Canes, out to be??   :popcorn: 

BBC said, " In my opinion as this team is currently constructed that it is 1 forward from being a top 4 team in the Eastern Conference."

So given we don't have that additional piece (yet), I was simply asking BBC what he felt this team would do "as is" against say the first 5 teams we play this year.  Hardly putting down the Canes! 

Personally, I'd say at least 3!! Kings will likely have playoff hangover, Flyers and Capitals area both in disarray and have a lot to sort out. Detroit seems to need awhile before they pick up steam. That leaves the Penguins. Of course, as Penalty says, let's see how the season as well as the pre-season play out before we go into the" Woe is me" mode.

Yep, I'd be pretty happy if we went 3-2 to start the season!!

Fair enough Greg. However, besides Pittsburgh and probably Boston and Detroit, I don't think any team is head & shoulders better than us. Our thing is consistency and injuries. If you would've told me Montreal would be battling for 1st place majority of the season, I'd have called you crazy. Like I said, lets let the season play out, for that matter lets let the rest of the offseason play out too.

I saw this on ESPN insider.  I'm sharing this because the sentence I highlighted at the end of the second paragraph really brings me back to the way JR initially described the "mystery man's" interests.  But again, is Grabo considered a "big name" player?  

July, 25, 2013 1:01 PM ET
By Victoria Matiash | ESPN.com

UPDATE: Aaron Ward of TSN reiterates the idea that three teams remain in the Mikhail Grabovski sweepstakes. The Winnipeg Jets could desperately use some more offense and there was even some speculation they could be in the running here. Ward, however, says the Jets are not a factor at this point, citing a source close to the situation.

---

Don't expect unrestricted free agent Mikhail Grabovski (formerly of the Toronto Maple Leafs) to sign with an NHL squad until next month. After speaking with the forward's agent, ESPN Insider Craig Custance reports three teams in particular are said to "very interested" in the 29-year-old center, but a deal won't likely get done until August. And Custance suggests money is only one factor in Grabovski's decision-making process.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig Custance
Role and chance to win a Cup plays into decision

"... 'No rush,' [agent Gary] Greenstin said. 'First decision [is on] what management and coach and what role on the team.' Greenstin said there's interest from the KHL, but the priority is to play in the NHL, something he's optimistic will happen. 'He's great on power play,' he said. 'Can play penalty killing. He's a great playmaker. He would like to stay here. He's an NHL player. He would like to win something.' ..."

Edited by LakeLivin

Mikhail Grabovski

Damien Brunner

Brenden Morrow

Daniel Cleary 

Brad Boyes

Ron Hainsey

That seems to be the list of potentially useful UFA's left out there. Did I miss anyone?

NOT Chad LaRose, SD!

Not a big deal but just noticed that Lindholm has moved to the "roster" section from the "in the system" section on the official site. He is also listed as 6'1. The kid just keeps growing :). Maybe he is expanding with the heat and humidity.

Also looks like Khudobin will wear #31 and Palushaj will wear #37.

Also, replay of USA vs. Sweden World Jr. Championship was replayed on NHL Network. I recorded it to take a look at Lindholm and Rask when I'm in the mood.

Not a big deal but just noticed that Lindholm has moved to the "roster" section from the "in the system" section on the official site. He is also listed as 6'1. The kid just keeps growing :). Maybe he is expanding with the heat and humidity.

There is less gravity in North America.

Think they rounded up. Believe his offical combine height was 6' 1/2".

So size has been on a lot of minds around here lately. Some disappointed in Lindholm's size. 

Linholm: 6'05"

Average height of average height NHL team: 6'08". 

Linsholm is completely average sized. Not undersized at all. 

But also interesting is where Carolina fell last year on height and weight: #20. 

So, below average, but 10 teams were smaller. 

Plus, before the addition of Gerbe, who might not play, we added some size.

The smallest team in the NHL? Pittsburgh. Oh yes, that's right. The biggest? Washington. 

Here's all the teams:

Vulgar Statistics: NHL Teams And Size | Black & Blue & Gold

Edited by remkin

I've been one of, if not the biggest supporter of Lindholm here, so I am not worried about his size at all. I was just having fun as this was the first time I had seen him at 6'1 (and on our official site) and some recently had him at 5'11. I think size is overrated to a point, like I said in another post, Chicago's defense for example isn't that big/heavy but they sure can play. It's not the size of the dog in the fight...

Edited by Kyrule

Didn't mean to look like was picking on you at all.  I just used your comment to open the door for some facts about team size and Linholm's size.

Now Gerbe....well, his height to weight ratio isn't bad.

Edited by remkin

RED WINGS
FLYERS
PENGUINS
CAPITALS
KINGS

I'd say 3 just like a few others have said. I would take us over the Flyers, Capitals, and Kings. I might take the us over the Penguins if it wasn't away. Honestly we can compete with any team on any given night but to be consistent competing at that level across the length of a whole season I thing we need another key guy at RW. We are so close to having a top 9 worthy of being top 6's and that's what all the best teams have, line depth. I don't want to sound like I don't like our current team or dislike JR. We have an amazing roster in my opinion for being a smaller market team. But never the less I thing we need that 1 guy whoever he is without moving a current player.

JR said (a while back) that the mystery man was waiting patiently for him to move a contract. That player must have the patience of Job.

See post #62 above (Grabovski in no rush in.gif). The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Grabovski being the original mystery guy. 

Edited by LakeLivin

See post #62 above (Grabovski in no rush in.gif). The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Grabovski being the original mystery guy. 

I think you might be right. I'm sure the quest to add another one or two players is a bit of a moving target but Grabovski might have been the original target. He might still be.