The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
TSA

Training Camp 2013-14 & RedWhite Scrimmage

Hurricanes Announce Training Camp Schedule
On-ice sessions to begin Sept. 12 at PNC Arena
Saturday, 09.07.2013 / 10:30 AM / News
By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the team’s 2013-14 training camp schedule. The team will begin on-ice workouts in two groups on Thursday, Sept. 12 at PNC Arena. A training camp roster will be released next week following the Hurricanes’ participation in the NHL Prospects Tournament in Traverse City, MI.

Following the first three days of on-ice workouts, the team will hold a Red-White scrimmage on Sunday, Sept. 15, at 1 p.m. as part of the annual Caniac Carnival. On Wed., Sept. 18, the Hurricanes will host Metropolitan Division rivals, the Columbus Blue Jackets, at PNC Arena in the first of six exhibition games for Carolina.

The Hurricanes will embark on a three-games-in-three-days trip on Sept. 19 when they travel to Buffalo to face the Sabres at First Niagara Center. Carolina will then travel to Quebec City, Que., where they will be the home team in a neutral-site game against the Montreal Canadiens. The trip winds down with the Hurricanes’ fourth game in four nights as they face the Canadiens at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

After an off day on Sunday, Sept. 21, the team will hold an 8 a.m. practice on Monday, Sept. 22, prior to the annual Kids ‘N Community Golf Tournament at 11 a.m. at Prestonwood Country Club. Two days of practice will follow before the Hurricanes play their final two preseason games at Columbus on Sept. 26 and at home against Buffalo on Sept. 27. The team will then hold practices every day from Sunday, Sept. 29 until Thursday, Oct. 3, prior to the regular-season opener on Friday, Oct. 4, against the Detroit Red Wings.

1235970_10151706430189773_1499253230_n.j

sched1_zpsf6b82e83.jpg

sched_zps84fd8c08.jpg

Training Camp Roster, as of Sept. 9, 2013:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/v2/ext/training%20camp/TCRoster090913.pdf

4 SEKERA, Andrej D 6’0” 201 Left
5 KOMISAREK, Mike D 6’4” 235 Right
6 GLEASON, Tim D 6’0” 217 Left
7 MURPHY, Ryan D 5’11” 185 Right
8 WESTGARTH, Kevin RW 6’4” 234 Right A
11 STAAL, Jordan C 6’4” 220 Left
12 STAAL, Eric C 6’4” 205 Left
13 STAAL, Jared RW 6’4” 210 Right
14 GERBE, Nathan LW 5’5” 178 Left
15 RUUTU, Tuomo W 6'0" 205 Left
16 LINDHOLM, Elias C/RW 6’1” 192 Right
18 DVORAK, Radek RW 6’2” 195 Right (Camp Invitee)
19 TLUSTY, Jiri LW 6’0” 209 Left
20 NASH, Riley C 6’1” 200 Right
21 BOWMAN, Drayson LW 6’1” 195 Left
22 DALPE, Zac RW 6’1” 195 Right
23 WELSH, Jeremy C/LW 6’3” 210 Left
25 PITKANEN, Joni D 6’3” 220 Left
27 FAULK, Justin D 6’0” 215 Right
28 SEMIN, Alexander RW 6’2” 209 Right
32 BOYCHUK, Zach C/W 5’10” 185 Left
33 FLOOD, Mark D 6’1” 195 Right
37 PALUSHAJ, Aaron W 6’0” 187 Right
38 CORRENTE, Matt D 6’0” 205 Right
39 DWYER, Patrick RW 5’11” 175 Right
41 BIEGA, Danny D 6’0” 205 Right
42 SUTTER, Brett C/LW 6’0” 200 Left
44 HARRISON, Jay D 6’4” 220 Left
45 LOWE, Keegan D 6’2” 195 Left
46 CARRICK, Trevor D 6’2” 180 Left
47 JORDAN, Michal D 6’1” 195 Left
48 SUTTER, Brody C 6’5” 203 Right
49 RASK, Victor C 6’2” 200 Left
51 McGINN, Brock LW 5’11” 185 Left
52 SHUGG, Justin RW 5’11” 185 Right
53 SKINNER, Jeff LW 5’11” 200 Left
55 LEVI, Austin D 6’4” 212 Left
56 WOODS, Brendan LW/C 6’3” 215 Left
58 TERRY, Chris LW 5’10” 195 Left
61 TOLCHINSKY, Sergey LW 5’8” 165 Left
62 RISSANEN, Rasmus D 6’3” 217 Left
64 SCHMITZ, Beau D 5’10” 195 Right
72 BLANCHARD, Nicolas W 6’3” 205 Left
73 BELLEMORE, Brett D 6’4” 225 Right
30 WARD, Cam G 6’1” 185 Left
31 KHUDOBIN, Anton G 5’11” 203 Left
35 PETERS, Justin G 6’1” 210 Left
70 MURPHY, Mike G 5’11” 172 Left

All very low key this year, and not sure they even had it. Maybe someone knows, but also not sure who headed it up, possible Eric? Seems that most of the attention this year so far has been the gnashing of teeth surrounding Joni Pitkanen's situation and what sounds like the initial collision with "an iceberg", ala the Titanic! Hope I'm wrong, but the cavalier fashion that Rutherford seems to be addressing his obvious absence seems wreckless.

I've been out of the loop.... Camp Brindy is over now right?

Actually, now it is over.  Their last on ice session was today at the PNC Arena.  Before this week, they've been skating every weekday morning at Raleigh Center Ice for at least the last 3 weeks I think.  

And now, I think it's referred to as Camp Harrison.  The day I went out there, he certainly was running the show!  But that was during the period that Eric was at the Canadian Olympic camp.

Went to the scrimmage today. Have to say Khudobin is fun to watch in goal. He only let in one goal.

He is real active with his upper body and glove.

How much smaller are the goalie's pads this year ? They look a whole lot less cumbersome.

Random thoughts from the Red-White Scrimmage:

By Remkin

I figure I'll add a by line to all of my posts now...I KEED, I KEED!!!! But seriously, it would be good to have an emoticon of a dog with a bow tie saying, "I keed, I keed!"

Ok the random thoughts:

Semin and E. looked like they were just toying with everyone else. It gave me this thought: When I looked at this team one of the questions for how good they would be was, will that first line be as good this year?" Watching Semin and E. play today, it occurred to me that they might be BETTER. A full year to gel and raise the game? They will be at least as good and possibly better. Semin is just so danged good.

Komisarek is a big bad dude. He plastered Boychuk early in the game.

Then Gleason seemed seriously p.o.'d with Boychuk and didn't stop cross checking and whacking his stick and jawing at him for what seemed like forever. Then Gleason seemed pretty aggravated period. I thought he looked solid in his play.

After those two plays I wondered if it was Beat on Boychuk day. Though after that it seemed to let up.

Murphy is going to be near impossible to keep off of this team. I really largely noticed two dmen as far are noticing them frequently: Faulk and Murphy. Murphy can take the puck through traffic, gain the zone, go deep, make a sweet pass and get back to the blueline all in one fast action. 

Rask looked solid. 

Sekera looked good. Smooth, slick little plays. Confident. 

J. Staal looked fast. I maintain my prediction that J. will breakout this year, and in part due to:

The one guy who just seemed everywhere and at a higher level (outside of Semin and E. who were at two or three higher levels) was Ruutu. He didn't hit much, but he is going to help J's line ALOT.

Khudoben did look good, quick pads.

Skinner will be back. Sweet set up to Dalpe. He looked good. 

Early on I thought: well Dalpe looks much better than Boychuk, but in the last half I thought Boychuk looked better. Interesting to see what happens there.

One guy who moves like an NHL player: McGinn. Not this year, but look for him in a couple of years.

The new uniforms look better in person. But the aways are still better IMHO. Still want capes. Not sure about springing for $250 for the authentic one. Well yes I am. Don't see it happening.

Forslund asked some great and pointed questions of JR in the question answer time. Good stuff. 

I think JR wants Morrow, but is also intrigued to see what guys can show with a few spots open. Bottom line, JR has a deal on the table for Morrow that is less than Morrow wants. JR will sign him, but only if Morrow comes close to JR's position.

Overall, this scrimmage left me every bit of Captain Optimistic for this year.

Edited by remkin

To add to remkin's thoughts from the scrimmage:

Boychuck blocked a shot from Komi, and I was all, YEAH, GOOD JOB BOYO! But then Komi laid him OUT. And I was all....DAYAM Komi! Komi seemed like he was having great fun out there!

Red Team controlled that game, thanks a lot to Semin and especially Eric Staal.

Dobby was solid as all get out between the pipes. I like his style of play.

Ryan Murphy is smooth like silk on his passes, and just skating around everyone. We need that kind of a mobile D.

I heard that Gleason was getting all up in Jared Staal's face. Gleason was certainly running on some haterade. Spunky, and plastering folks along the boards.

Rask looked solid solid solid. Welsh was really hustling big time (looks like he knows he had time to shine with Nash out with his gash).

Ruu was playing a much faster, skate forward game, instead of hard on the boards and in the corners. Could we be seeing a shift in his game play? Meanwhile, McGinn was the big hitting forward on the boards this game. He hits SO much harder than his size would belie.

Random other observation: Anyone notice Brody Sutter sitting in the stands? 6'5" must have been tough to sit comfortably, so he had his legs draped over the seat in front of him. Highlarious.

Edited by radionradiation

Radio--

Good points. I wanted to agree about Murphy's passing. Once he really settles into NHL speed, he is going to rack up assists. 

Going to the Red White games every year, I predict the team's roster for the season by picking out the best players I see until each position is full. I think after today's game, it's obvious our defense has vastly improved. 

Semin was unstoppable out there. He didn't even seem to be breaking a sweat. Eric was obviously having fun, was jawing with Jordan late in the third and laughing. 

I saw the whole Gleason trying to kill Boychuk thing. Didn't really see anything to provoke that response from Gleason, but it seemed like someone told him to really pressure Boychuk and see how he reacts and responds.

Bowman surprised me, maybe he's the next Tlusty. He's gone through a similar experience entering this league as Tlusty, and with the team. Has the defense capabilities to not be a liability, and is now working on how to sneak in offensively. That Bowman goal (the first goal of the game) was so reminiscent of Tlusty.

Crisp, clean passing all around. Power play units actually scored. Jordan had a few nice dekes, but Red's defense would usually cut him off mid-deke. Skinner had a nice pass to Dalpe for White's only goal. 

Dalpe really looked good, really impressed me and makes me expect him on the second line with Jordan and Ruutu. Also didn't really notice Ruutu.

Khudobin was fun to watch, a few nice spread out saves. Mike Murphy reminds me so much of Irbe when he flops around and makes those weird saves. I love it. Ward looked solid mostly.

The roster I foresee this season makes me feel pretty good. I really think our defense, when all put together, will be pretty solid FINALLY. 

Sucka, thanks for your report of the scrimmage for those of us unable to attend. So, of the young ones, who do you think has the best chance, as obviously not all you mention will be able to? Do you honestly think anyone will supplant Tlusty on the 1st line? Do you still foresee a need for a veteran like Morrow?

Here's Matt Karash's (Hockey Buzz) take on the Red-White Game. One area that I noticed which sort of disagrees with some of you is Murphy.  He agrees with everybody's assessment of Murphy's offensive skills but thinks he's really lacking on defense and should be sent to Charlotte for a couple of years.

Interesting player assessments. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=53971&blogger_id=56#.Ujc4qT-E4r4

Edited by Bill_B

First, Holy Detailed Analysis Batman! I'm just enjoying the game w/ my daughter. This guy is seeing everything. Did he look at video tape after? 

I get what he is getting at with Murphy, but I just think he is selling the upside short. Yes, Murphy will make mistakes, especially as he learns the NHL game, but he will make up for it by actually creating offense. Now, point of fact, I am certain that Skinner and J will bring more points, and if that third line gels, we probably don't need that Murphy dynamic at 5/5. But what about the PP?

Still, with Hainsey in tow, we will either have to dress 7 or send him down (press box is not good). 

I can see Murphy starting in Charlotte, especially if the PP looks ok in preseason. But upon the first injury and or if the PP sputters....

I absolutely do not see him in Charlotte for 2 more years.

Karash is loving Boychuk. Now I just saw the red-white game, and I did like some of what I saw of Boychuk, mostly the last period, but he is seeing the other practices and I've always felt the guy had skills, but I need to see more, watching those preseason games closely.

He is loving Dvorak too. 

So if Dvorak and Westgarth lock down 4th line. And Lindholm locked on the third line w/ Skinner,  There would be one 4th line spot and 1 third line spot, and one second line spot. However Dwyer would seem to be a lock for at least one spot. That would leave 2 openings: And a lot of guys gunning for them, even w/ no Morrow. 

Gerbe, Nash, Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman.

Pick 2.

Edited by remkin

First, Holy Detailed Analysis Batman! I'm just enjoying the game w/ my daughter. This guy is seeing everything. Did he look at video tape after? 

I get what he is getting at with Murphy, but I just think he is selling the upside short. Yes, Murphy will make mistakes, especially as he learns the NHL game, but he will make up for it by actually creating offense. Now, point of fact, I am certain that Skinner and J will bring more points, and if that third line gels, we probably don't need that Murphy dynamic at 5/5. But what about the PP?

Still, with Hainsey in tow, we will either have to dress 7 or send him down (press box is not good). 

I can see Murphy starting in Charlotte, especially if the PP looks ok in preseason. But upon the first injury and or if the PP sputters....

I absolutely do not see him in Charlotte for 2 more years.

Karash is loving Boychuk. Now I just saw the red-white game, and I did like some of what I saw of Boychuk, mostly the last period, but he is seeing the other practices and I've always felt the guy had skills, but I need to see more, watching those preseason games closely.

He is loving Dvorak too. 

So if Dvorak and Westgarth lock down 4th line. And Lindholm locked on the third line w/ Skinner,  There would be one 4th line spot and 1 third line spot, and one second line spot. However Dwyer would seem to be a lock for at least one spot. That would leave 2 openings: And a lot of guys gunning for them, even w/ no Morrow. 

Gerbe, Nash, Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman.

Pick 2.

Dalpe & Nash.  However, I dont think Westgarth is a lock on the 4th line.  He is probably the 13th forward.  Dvorak is also not a lock so add Dvroak to your original list and pick 4. 

My picks: Dalpe, Bowman, Nash, and Dvorak

Sucka, thanks for your report of the scrimmage for those of us unable to attend. So, of the young ones, who do you think has the best chance, as obviously not all you mention will be able to? Do you honestly think anyone will supplant Tlusty on the 1st line? Do you still foresee a need for a veteran like Morrow?

No problem, I was sitting in the first row of section 129 right at the left corner of the boards where team Red shot twice, so I got a nice close look and saw the kind of little things you don't see on TV or even live a little higher up in the seats.

On the young  guys:

BOWMAN

I think Bowman getting the look on the line with Eric and Sasha really makes me think the coaching staff thinks very highly of him, and they believe in him much the way they believed in Tlusty. I've made a few posts throughout time comparing Bowman's NHL journey thus far to Tlusty's, and the similarities are staggering. I think Bowman is the organization's next Tlusty project in producing a perfect two-way winger. The rest of this development largely rides on Bowman himself, in that he has to prove the offense will come and that he's capable of bringing at least his solid defensive play nightly. He's sort of proven his defensive capabilities are there. Now he needs to prove his offense will come. My prediction for Bowman is that if he scores at a good pace this pre-season despite who he plays for he gets an opening night spot.

BOYCHUK

Boychuk is finally getting it, he no longer expects to become an NHL player. He realizes now he has to turn into one. He is for the first time adjusting his style of play to get into the dirtier areas of the ice. Gleason showed him what an NHL welcome to those areas were in the scrimmage and a lot of people saw that. I think Gleason was trying to sort of warn Boychuk or at least make him aware that while he is playing well it's just camp, and nowhere near the compete level he's going to be facing in the NHL. I still think he reacted fine, didn't shy away after that, and maybe started to play a little harder as the game went on. He is starting to use his speed not to float around and hope for a pass but crash the crease repeatedly. If he keep his current play up, he'll get another look at the start of the season. That's where it's in his hands to continue factoring in chances and stay or go back down for someone else.

DALPE

Dalpe is probably the second highest thought of tweener in this group. Dalpe has shown he can score in the NHL, but he has also shown a lack of consistency at that. Now he has two potential homes on our roster, the second line or the third line. He also looked great on the powerplay. I'd like to see him on the third line to form some iteration of Skinner, Lindholm, and Dalpe. All three can play center and all three can play wing. Could be a really versatile and flexible third line capable of scoring and not giving too much the other way.

MCGINN

He's going to be a great power forward type in a few years. He can hit even though he isn't that big and he can shoot pretty strong and accurate shots as well. May be our next Erik Cole, but not for a little while.

LINDHOLM

He is really good at winning 1 on 1 battles and disrupting plays defensively. His offense isn't really there yet, but with Skinner it'll come eventually. I think he won't nearly be a liability defensively, like Bowman, so the coaching staff won't think twice about giving him some ice time. 

Of these four, I think Dalpe, Bowman, and Lindholm make the roster. Boychuk I would consider the wildcard. The rest of our younger plays in camp I haven't named and McGinn will have a year to fill out a bit.

First Line Left Wing

As for a potential first line LW change, someone who can take over Tlusty's spot, I'd say Bowman would probably get first look from our coaches. It also depends on his pre-season numbers as well, but of all our tweeners he's had the most success and been the most stable in the NHL, I think he'd be able to handle the ice time like Tlusty can. I am not sure about offensive production yet, but he can bring a lot of what Tlusty brings besides the offense. The only way I see Bowman with this opportunity is if Tlusty is out to start the season/gets injured in the season. Beyond Bowman, Skinner I'd like to see for a game or two here. He's missing the two-way factor Tlusty brings, but he potentially makes up for it with his offensive capabilities. If the coaches want keep the build for that line and keep the two-way factor, but have more semi-proven offense that Bowman lacks, I'd see Ruutu slide up to first line LW.

I see our guys are definitely stepping to it this camp. I think a lot of guys realize it's their last chance (Boychuk, Dalpe) and a lot of guys realize this is their first real opportunity to impress the coach with his first camp. I think JR going into the pre-season is sticking with his group right now. I think we're still talking to Morrow, but with Muller's desire for camp competitiveness, it isn't a real hard push just yet.

Yes, our younger guys are stepping up, and yes they will fill many spots, but what people don't really realize is that Muller is basically throwing last years roster away and telling camp that everyone has an opportunity to make the team this year and claim any role they can fill. There's more spots available than it would seem, at least in the bottom six, we have 3 players that are pretty much guaranteed to make it. Skinner, Lindholm, Dwyer. And in the top six, we have five spots filled already. Semin, Staal, Staal, Ruutu, Tlusty. That leaves us with potential for 4 spots. 

Sign Morrow and we still have a decent 3 spots open. My hopeful lineup would look like this

Tlusty - E - Semin

Morrow - J - Ruutu

Skinner - Lindholm - Dalpe

Bowman - Nash - Dwyer

- Westgarth sits as a healthy scratch some nights, others he plays on the fourth.  Some nights one of the fourth liners is scratched to dress a seventh defenseman.

- If Morrow signs, he either plays on the second line LW if Ruutu stays on the RW. If Muller likes Dalpe with Jordan and Ruu better, Morrow slots down, Skinner can play center and Lindholm RW if Morrow doesn't want RW. Or Skinner can move to the RW side.

- Since we sign Morrow in this instance, Bowman gets the odd man out situation and slots down to the fourth line. If we don't get Morrow, Bowman slots up to the third or second line, whoever he has best chemistry with (again if he produces pre-season). Also, we sign Dvorak.

- If we sign both Dvorak and Morrow, one of Dwyer, Nash loses their spot.

Defense is much more clear cut, as for pairings I can't really say but this is our roster defense in no particular order:

Faulk, Gleason, Sekera, Hainsey, Komisarek, Harrison

-Murphy is 7th

-Bellemore, Corrente, Flood are the call-ups.

But yeah, I still say we sorely need Morrow. We may have guys stepping up, but it's still a risk relying on these guys to be consistent throughout the year with unproven results. Not to mention I keep saying Morrow brings certain elements this team sorely lacks. Leadership qualities, experience, and a good familiarity with the coach. Then he's got the penalty killing abilities, shot blocking abilities, physicality, and powerplay potential. I think he's our missing piece, and he would also help with the new guys on the roster who don't have a ton of NHL experience. He'd be a bit like glue for our bottom 9.