The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Heracane

Jason Karmanos Relieved of Duties with Hurricanes

...and Papa Johns is a sponsor... oh no

That wouldn't make it bad, Mike Ilitch is the owner of Littel Sleazers!!  He is the owner of the Detroit Red Wings, major bro-hate there!!

If he ordered Little Caesars it probably made the whole office sick (I still can't look at that logo again without feeling a little queasy...)

Seriously, I always found it a little suspect in the fact that he had such a prominent role and also happened to be the owner's son. Doesn't mean he wasn't qualified just seemed a bit of favoritism. At any rate I am sure Jr. will be just fine, i'm not too worried about him.

Some insight via N and O:

Peter Karmanos issued a statement Sunday, calling his son's abrupt dismissal a "family matter" and saying he would have no further comment.

Jason Karmanos, in an interview Sunday night, said a "personal disagreement" with his father resulted in the firing Sunday morning.

"The disagreement I had with my father had nothing to do with the direction of the team or the business of the team," Jason Karmanos said. "This has nothing to do with my job performance.

"It's an unfortunate situation and it's extremely disappointing. My emotions are still raw. A big chunk of my life has been devoted to working for the team and I will miss it very much, as well as all the great people that I have worked with on a daily basis."

Jason Karmanos’ duties will be assumed by Ron Francis, vice president of hockey operations, and video scout/hockey operations assistant Darren Yorke

Link. They may all say it wasn't about the team/direction of organization, but I don't see how a disagreement completely unrelated to the team would lead to his dismissal. I mean I could, but that isn't really a good reason to fire your VP of Hockey Ops and Assistant GM unless it caused problems with the job, which would then make it related to the team.

Either jr got caught doing something off-line that he shouldn't have, or they had one humdinger of a father-son spat.  Either way, I think this relationship is severely strained, and it's time for Jason to find a life raft with another team...like the Red Wings.

Either jr got caught doing something off-line that he shouldn't have, or they had one humdinger of a father-son spat.  Either way, I think this relationship is severely strained, and it's time for Jason to find a life raft with another team...like the Red Wings.

Or if he was feeling really spiteful a division rival... 

Ummm...TSA, your linky is this page...

The link is fixed...I love the Corvo locker slam in the article  lol

The link is fixed...I love the Corvo locker slam in the article  lol

Thanks for the fix.   Lots of mud slinging to go around, nice of Jeff O'Neill to join in on the fun.

Like it or not, its out there for the whole world to see so hopefully the K family has learned a lesson.  Is that laughter I hear coming all the way from Detroit?   BTW, the fan comments after the article were amusing.

It would appear to me the path has been cleared for Francis to become the heir apparent.

Because Francis, in his seventh season in management for the Canes, has done so many good things to get us to the playoffs.

I certainly hope Francis is not given the job... we need some with a proven winning track record.   (see sig line).

From N&O:

"Jason Karmanos had been attending the NHL prospects tournament this past week in Traverse City, Mich., along with Rutherford, Canes coach Kirk Muller and other team coaches and officials"

Maybe he commented on how good our prospects' defense looked.

Edited by remkin

Maybe this was commented on but I have always thought that Jason being in the org was a good thing because it meant  PK had something to pass down through the family.  As long as it remained in the Karmonos family, Raleigh stood a greater chance of the team always being in Raleigh..  

PK sold somewhere around 10% - 15% of the org to local people but that still leaves a large chunk for an outsider to come in and purchase.  The lease with C-Authority lasts until 2024 and there could be talk of the need for another arena by that time,  but an outside investor might care less about Raleigh vs a possible other market.  

Not saying that would happen but PK is getting old and he is on the outs with his son.  Without passing to a family member, most likely he would sell his large portion.   Who knows, maybe he gives the cash to his kids (other kids) or possibly funds a charitable organization in PKs name with the receipts of a sale.   

This could look like what Ralph Wilson has stated with the Buffalo Bills.  RW is not handing the team to this kids and has said when he dies, the team will be sold.

Edited by ThunderBall