The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Caps to host the next Winter Classic in DC?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23734711/report-capitals-to-announce-outdoor-game-in-dc-on-saturday

On Saturday the Washington Capitals will be making a "major announcement" at their annual Capitals Convention. Some times these major announcements are rather overstated but in this case it doesn't appear to be the case. This one sounds pretty big.

Sky Kerstein of 106.7 The Fan in Washington -- a regular at Capitals games and practices -- reports that multiple sources say it will be to announce an outdoor game in DC for next season. Further to that, it is expected to be the Winter Classic.

091913_natspark.jpg

I know the weather could be iffy, but I always thought Carter-Finley would have good sightlines for hockey.

I agree with caniac6.  I said it years ago and I'll say it again:  CF Stadium would be a great venue for the Winter Classic.  Heck, every past event has used ice making equipment, including games in much more northern locations.  So climate isn't the issue.  Sight lines are good, lot's of seating capacity, what's lacking?  DC isn't THAT much cooler than Raleigh.  We've hosted the SCF, the NHL Draft, and the All Star game (all came off perfectly).  The only missing jewel in the crown is the WC.