The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Peter Laviolette fired as coach of the Flyers / ESPN

Peter Laviolette fired as head coach of the Flyers ESPN

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Flyers have fired head coach Peter Laviolette just three games into the season, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.

The Philadelphia Daily News earlier reported Laviolette's firing.

Assistant Craig Berube will take over the coaching reigns for the 0-3-0 Flyers, the source said.

The Flyers have called a press conference for 11 a.m. ET on Monday morning.

Laviolette had been rumored to be on a short leash before the season even began after Philadelphia missed the postseason last season. He was hired in December 2009 and guided the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals that season, losing to Chicago in June 2010.

Ugh, the Canes are now directly and indirectly responsible for both of Lavi's firings.

Lavi seems to have a 3 year shelf life. Then things fall apart. Flyers might get a boost from the coaching change but I think they have more problems than just Lavi. It is a little ironic it happened after the Carolina game.

Tough break for a nice family but it is odd that 3years seems to be his shelf life.  I'm sure he'll land on his feet again somwhere but this time he doesn't have a recent Cup win to reference in interviews. 

Oddly enough he had Philly in the playoffs 2 out of the 3 years. How good would that be if you are a playoff starved Carolina fan. Yet its a world of what have you done for me lately.

I think Lavi is a perfect coach to take a rising team that just needs to find a way to the next level or a faltering team that needs a boost. His game is high energy and pedal to the metal. I think his players burn out by the third year.

Lavi is an awesome coach but had his hands tied here (I have heard) and who knows in Philly.  Hate to see him lose his job but when the troops are not producing, it's not always the troops fault.

Good luck to you and your famiy!!

Sorry to hear this and but sort of sorry it was the Canes who led to his demise again.  He seems to go to a new team, implement a new system that works well, and then after a couple of years other teams figure it out and beat him because he doesn't change.  Happened here after '06.  As others said, he seems to have a short shelf life.  Oh well, he still owns a nice house in Raleigh so he has a roof over his head.  Forgot to add, in their defense, the Flyers had played in Montreal the night before and didn't arrive at RDU until about 0200 on Sunday.  It was probably another hour or so before the team got to bed.  Tough scheduling.

Edited by g105

I thought this was an interesting tidbit at the end of the article...

"In a bleak time in city sports, Laviolette's firing means all four of Philadelphia's major sports teams have changed coaches in the last year. Eagles coach Chip Kelly, hired in January, is now the dean of Philadelphia coaches."

As soon as GM's are quoted saying "We have complete faith and confidence in our coach" you know it's time to pack your bags. Lavi was given a vote of confidence in Sept :Oops:

As soon as GM's are quoted saying "We have complete faith and confidence in our coach" you know it's time to pack your bags. Lavi was given a vote of confidence in Sept :Oops:

I think his "vote of confidence" was first mentioned at the end of last season and on into the summer.  Not sure why they waited so long.

The mere fact that one "needs" a vote of confidence is a vote of low confidence.

Also on the Philly ex coaches, their ex football coach seems to be doing pretty well...

Why fire him after three games, why not fire him in the off season? Three games isn't a leash its a choke hold.

Exaclty, 3 games seems to be making more a statement to the coach than it is to the team.

Isn't this the truth.....

All of this proves two things in the National Hockey League: a coach is only as good as his goaltending and his team's health; and a vote of confidence in Philadelphia is a kiss of death - Yahoo Sports

I thought it was pretty bad that after losing their 1st game of the season, there were reports he was on his way out and that Berube was his successor. Holmgren was the one who put this team together, if the slide continues he should be next.

Can't remember if it was on the board or in chat but someone totally called this last night. Come forth you!

:thumbsup: but I don't know if he had to walk all the way to Philly or not

The Flyers have always struck me as being one of those "what have you done for me lately" and "always keeping with the jonses" teams. The minute something goes wrong they ship out who they think may be a "problem" and bring in a shiny new toy.

I still don't quite fully understand why they signed Vinny LeCavalier to such a large contract let alone signed him in the first place.