The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Scott hit on Ericsson

Isn't it past time to get the "goon only hockey" out of the game. After watching Skinner get targeted for 2 seasons and Gerbe taking a shot this season I have had enough. Last nights hit by Buffalo's John Scott on Loui Ericsson I just shook my head. I wouldn't care if Scott and other like players are sent packing.

Way past time. 

Since Scott was totally focused on hitting Ericsson, I'd even go as far as calling it an 'intent to injure'. I think unless the league (Shanny) moves on from their discretionary verdicts and increases suspensions as a real deterrent, maybe also fine coaches or teams like they do with late minute fights/instigators, I'm sure we'll keep seeing more of the same.

It's pretty obvious that the current 'punishments' are not working.   

Cooke has changed his game completely, and credit to him for (finally) seeing the light.  Guys like Scott who have so little hockey skill that they make Jesse Boulerice look like Patrick Kane have no place in the game. They can't be legislated out though; it's going to take more GMs waking up and seeing the fact that having guys who DO have hockey skill and won't be suspended multiple times per year to finally get rid of the sideshow clowns.

Give us tough guys like Claude Lemieux, Tie Domi, and the likes that, regardless of how you felt about them, could hit, fight, and weren't devoid of talent. 

You might not be able to legislate those players out of the league but you can make it costly to use them. 5 min major and game misconduct would be a start. Automatic 10 game suspension with fine. Additional fine for the club and coach in certain situations.

How do you mean when you say "costly to use them"? Playing them in a game? If they simply get in a fight? Or when they do something monumentally stupid like Scott last night? 

Edited by Section328

What do you mean when you say "costly to use them"? 

Make it costly  financially with fines to the organization and coach, costly to the player with missed games and costly to the team by handing out the 5 min. major. 

Or when they do something monumentally stupid like Scott last night? 

but for this guy it has been ongoing stupidity.  there needs to be a way he is given a season misconduct penalty

but for this guy it has been ongoing stupidity.  there needs to be a way he is given a season misconduct penalty

Agree that there shouldn't be guys with his..umm... skillset? in the NHL, but Scott has never been suspended or fined before. 

Agree that there shouldn't be guys with his..umm... skillset? in the NHL, but Scott has never been suspended or fined before. 

and this is proof that penalties have been handed out in unequal measures.  the guy is on the team for one purpose only, that pf being a goon.  For a team that is having trouble putting pucks into the net, why have a roster space taken up by such a player.  Also, the coach looks as if he is clueless on handling the team's problems.

and this is proof that penalties have been handed out in unequal measures.  the guy is on the team for one purpose only, that pf being a goon.  For a team that is having trouble putting pucks into the net, why have a roster space taken up by such a player.  Also, the coach looks as if he is clueless on handling the team's problems.

And what purpose does Westgarth serve? I'm tired of all these designated fighters and goons. I don't mind a tough guy that can play, but these guys that play 2 minutes a game and either deliver a dirty hit or fight the other teams goon should not have a place in the game. Don't let the teams fill the roster spot of a suspended player, and I bet the number of concussions go way down. Make the team suffer for the actions of their goons.

I have never seen Westy with us go after someone like Scott did or for that matter line someone up for a head shot. Yet your point is taken. I think the enforcer who doesn't bring some game skill will soon be a thing of the past. I don't mind fights or even the get even part of the game but prefer the fights and rough stuff to be an extension of the game not the only purpose of the particular players game.

And what purpose does Westgarth serve? I'm tired of all these designated fighters and goons. I don't mind a tough guy that can play, but these guys that play 2 minutes a game and either deliver a dirty hit or fight the other teams goon should not have a place in the game. Don't let the teams fill the roster spot of a suspended player, and I bet the number of concussions go way down. Make the team suffer for the actions of their goons.

agreed

Cooke has changed his game completely, and credit to him for (finally) seeing the light.  Guys like Scott who have so little hockey skill that they make Jesse Boulerice look like Patrick Kane have no place in the game. They can't be legislated out though; it's going to take more GMs waking up and seeing the fact that having guys who DO have hockey skill and won't be suspended multiple times per year to finally get rid of the sideshow clowns.

Give us tough guys like Claude Lemieux, Tie Domi, and the likes that, regardless of how you felt about them, could hit, fight, and weren't devoid of talent. 

He may have changed his tune, but he still should not be playing while Marc Savard still sits in a darkened room.

On the XM hockey channel two of the announcers were arguing over how to rid the league of goons. One solution I agree with is setting minimum ice time per game as a standard for fighting. Example; Anyone not averaging 10 minutes of ice time will face stiffer fines and suspensions for any fights they are involved in. Each suspension will be longer the the previous one. And I seem to remember fines for teams with fighter under the 10 minute average. Doesn't eliminate fighting but cuts down on the goons.

That was a couple of weeks ago, so my memory may no be exact. 

On the XM hockey channel two of the announcers were arguing over how to rid the league of goons. One solution I agree with is setting minimum ice time per game as a standard for fighting. Example; Anyone not averaging 10 minutes of ice time will face stiffer fines and suspensions for any fights they are involved in. Each suspension will be longer the the previous one. And I seem to remember fines for teams with fighter under the 10 minute average. Doesn't eliminate fighting but cuts down on the goons.

That was a couple of weeks ago, so my memory may no be exact. 

Not a bad option if they're really serious.

I didnt get Shanahan's comment:

“While that works in Scott’s favor, it also takes away any argument on his part that illegal head contact on an opposing player is inevitable simply because he is 6-foot-8,” Shanahan said.

If Shanahan is allowing this as an excuse by saying it works in his favor (at least that was my interpretation), how does it take away any argument in the future?  Did I read this all wrong?