The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

injury info

Does the total lack of info regarding the injuries to Ward and K annoy anyone else?

Don't get me wrong, I know this is JR's cow and he can milk it any way he wants. It's just sometimes I feel like the one being milked!

Anyone else?

Edited by top-shelf-1

not sure but this is fairly common in the NHL. an upper body injury can be anything from a splinter to a broken hand.   not certain as to the need for secrets 

Yup, that's all the teams have to give out, upper or lower, standard for all teams in the NHL. I don't like it mind you, but that's the way it is.

I don't like it but some teams will target injuries when players return. So it's gotta be this way imo.

Will someone target Cam's groin? No. That'd be awkward but for the injuries that are targetable that's why or at least why I think it's this way.

Would be nice for some NHL clarification as to why it is the way it is though. Getting mad at JR over it though, he's got enough things he's accountable for and that's not one of them.

Edited by legend-1

While I can't agree that this is not something GMs are accountable for (Lou Lamorello in NJ pioneered the practice and in so doing pretty much singlehandedly changed the standard approach league-wide), I get why not want to disclose. I just still think it sucks, and do wish the specificity of bygone days was still the norm. I think a connection can be drawn between the increase in career-ending injuries and this practice, i.e., I think once public notice of the injury is made, it imposes upon all players a certain responsibility for NOT targeting "known" injuries. There is a code in all sports and games; hockey is no different, but by signing off on non-specificity the League does nothing to encourage a gentlemanly approach to the game - something that has disappeared from hockey within many of our lifetimes.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Back when the injuries were disclosed anybody who targeted the injured player when he returned was subject to a butt whipping by any and all from the injured payers teammates. With the league trying to eliminate fighting, I think this is the new way to reduce fighting.

Edited by winger52

So, players today can't target the upper body or lower body when they know a guy has issues there?  I respect what you guys are trying to say, but I don't buy the logic being used. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Those are large areas of the body to just go in guessing and likely taking penalties during your guessing. If you're going to try to hurt a guy I'm sure you want to be right the first time.

Okay, good point. :letssee:

I didn't think that one through too well. :blush:

Good topic though top-shelf.  I know it seems to annoy the crap out of Forslund.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If JR comes out and says Cam is really out with hemorrhoids, would it make a difference?

Keep it simple...but give us realistic return dates...

Back when the injuries were disclosed anybody who targeted the injured player when he returned was subject to a butt whipping by any and all from the injured payers teammates. With the league trying to eliminate fighting, I think this is the new way to reduce fighting.

I hear ya winger, and based on Gary Bettman's demonstrated inability to think in anything other than a completely linear fashion, your analysis makes sense. Too bad Bettman et. al. can't figure out that the disclosure of exact injuries together with the imposition of suspensions to anyone targeting a returning injured player would be more effective. Doing so would (a) shame the offending player, (B) force an end to such targeting, and © also take fighting in relation to these situations off the table. Given the NHL's apparent desire to get goons out of the game - and good on 'em - rules like this will be needed if the NHL is also serious about taking targeting out.

It is my understanding that Wardo heard K coming in and stealing his job and he had to go down with a sore knee in order to insure K got played, then he dulled the blades on K's skate....and his MAGINA is sore again!!  K has a legit sore knee. Skins "upper body" Was looked at via MRI..... anyone thinking another concussion?????

Can anyone translate this into english?

It is my understanding that Wardo heard K coming in and stealing his job and he had to go down with a sore knee in order to insure K got played, then he dulled the blades on K's skate....and his MAGINA is sore again!!  K has a legit sore knee. Skins "upper body" Was looked at via MRI..... anyone thinking another concussion?????

Legend here is your translation!!

Ward--a lot like jenny Craig letting all the softies in. sucks he got hurt but whatever he is not our savior but he is part of the problem

K-- Wards replacement sucks he went down would have been fun to see a new number 1 in town

Skins-- had a great first half of his rookie season, since then what has he done beside get concussions? he has to change his approach to the game or he will be out of the league. he has to find a way to avoid getting hit. he is to fast and to small not too!! Skins watch old footage of Rosey and watch Gerbes

Edited by Canesnut

There are periods and commas on your keyboard. Please use them because it is hard to read some of those... sentences.

I just hope it isn't Ward's same knee and Skins doesn't have another concussion. His career is at risk if he does. We need the kid healthy and he's had a much better start this year despite the naysayers.

I just hope it isn't Ward's same knee and Skins doesn't have another concussion. His career is at risk if he does. We need the kid healthy and he's had a much better start this year despite the naysayers.

He was seen holding his wrist and the Canes specifically said it wasn't a concussion.  I understand spin, but that would be an outright lie. 

He was seen holding his wrist and the Canes specifically said it wasn't a concussion.  I understand spin, but that would be an outright lie. 

would think a wrist injury would be common in the NHL.  do not understand the secrecy