The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

injury info

He was seen holding his wrist and the Canes specifically said it wasn't a concussion.  I understand spin, but that would be an outright lie. 

Yes, to those watching closely it was already possible to see adaptations to Skins' game, which actually began during intensive training in Toronto during the lockout last year. He still is not huge but has bulked up a bit and (I think) will be fine. Potentially the next Marty, and I'm (obviously) not talking Brodeur.

Why do they even differentiate between upper and lower body... to throw us a bone?  As if this is satisfying us....

Just say "injury" at this point.

Or maybe we can go to hemispheres...  He's hurt in the Northern Hemisphere...    If you want to get more detailed, you can go east/west too.  :Looks like Wardo is injured on the equator, btw.

I remember when this whole "upper/lower" thing started, John Forslund had a field day one night.

It went something like this: "Player x had a lower body injury last week, came back from that and now has an upper body injury.  So now he has an entire body injury."

I wish I could do it justice, but suffice it to say John was on a roll that night over the whole injury lingo thing.

I'm confused, does the fact that Skinner was put on IR mean he will be out long term? I thought he had a chance to play this weekend...

Though no expert for sure, stephen24, I'll attempt to respond to your question. There are 2 categories of injury status, IR on which Skins has been placed, and LTIR, on which we currently have Jokinen. As I learned today, the IR category means that the injured player must be held out of playing at least 7 days. Skinner was placed in this category back dated to Oct. 24th I think, thus meaning he is just about ready to be reactivated. I'm just not sure about how long he's carried, but definately not thru entire season.

As to the other category, LTIR, this is a much longer term, and could last for entire season. Here too, it must be renewed each year, as has happened to the Flyers player, Chris Pronger. I am unsure about the least amount of time that a player must be held in this category though.

Though no expert for sure, stephen24, I'll attempt to respond to your question. There are 2 categories of injury status, IR on which Skins has been placed, and LTIR, on which we currently have Jokinen. As I learned today, the IR category means that the injured player must be held out of playing at least 7 days. Skinner was placed in this category back dated to Oct. 24th I think, thus meaning he is just about ready to be reactivated. I'm just not sure about how long he's carried, but definately not thru entire season.

As to the other category, LTIR, this is a much longer term, and could last for entire season. Here too, it must be renewed each year, as has happened to the Flyers player, Chris Pronger. I am unsure about the least amount of time that a player must be held in this category though.

Thanks mate, that's really helpful.

I'm confused, does the fact that Skinner was put on IR mean he will be out long term? I thought he had a chance to play this weekend...

And to add to that, in case you don't know....Placing him on IR status is so they can keep him on the roster and bring up a replacement without having to send someone down. They only get so many roster spots and have to use people from the roster (scratched players, etc) to replace injured persons unless they are on IR, then they don't count and you can bring up another player if you want. This is from the NHL Hockey Operations Manual:

23-man Roster

There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

I don't like it but some teams will target injuries when players return. So it's gotta be this way imo.

Will someone target Cam's groin? No. 

No, but my game prep for when he came back would be to tell my players to get him moving, hoping he can't get a great push or to tire him out as the game goes.I like that they don't disclose, even though I'm just as curious as the next fan to know what's ailing them so I get get a better idea of the time they're going to be out. It sucks when you hear, "day to day with a lower body concern", then he's out for 4 weeks and you learn later he broke his foot. :) 

one thing that interests me is the difference in how the NFL reports injuries.  the NHL reports are fairly nebulous  while the NFL: reports are  fairly detailed.  Both sports are brutal and hard-hitting.  don't understand the NHL's desire for secrecy. isn't intent to injure a major no-no?

And to add to that, in case you don't know....Placing him on IR status is so they can keep him on the roster and bring up a replacement without having to send someone down. They only get so many roster spots and have to use people from the roster (scratched players, etc) to replace injured persons unless they are on IR, then they don't count and you can bring up another player if you want. This is from the NHL Hockey Operations Manual:

23-man Roster

There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

Thanks man. 

one thing that interests me is the difference in how the NFL reports injuries.  the NHL reports are fairly nebulous  while the NFL: reports are  fairly detailed.  Both sports are brutal and hard-hitting.  don't understand the NHL's desire for secrecy. isn't intent to injure a major no-no?

The NFL injury report was designed primarily for gambling purposes.  Although all sports now have betting involved, the NFL has always been the most heavily involved.. betting lines on the schedule in newspapers, etc.  The gamblers wanted to know as much as possible about who was playing, and the NFL complied.  The other sports have never had that pressure, and instead lean towards the team's desire for secrecy.

The NFL injury report was designed primarily for gambling purposes.  Although all sports now have betting involved, the NFL has always been the most heavily involved.. betting lines on the schedule in newspapers, etc.  The gamblers wanted to know as much as possible about who was playing, and the NFL complied.  The other sports have never had that pressure, and instead lean towards the team's desire for secrecy.

very interesting,  makes perfect sense given the major exposure the NFL receives in the media

Two words: Sean Peyton.

Is there any word on when Anton or Ward will be back?

Not really.  Just hearing observations from the broadcasters and writers.  Basically, Dobby was thought to be short term initially (2 weeks or so).  As of right now, he can barely skate.  (Edit: Chip says today he had a "light" skate.)  It is now over 3 weeks, so that estimate is wrong, and his return is unknown. 

Ward-o was a minimum of 3 weeks.  He hasn't been seen on ice, but is making progress off ice.  The whispers are it will probably be longer, but who knows?

Edited by wxray1