The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ynotagain

How to fix this lack of offense ?

One answer to both questions would be Eric Lindros.  Trading him won a Stanley Cup for Quebec/Colorado, and stripping him of the C got the Flyers to the ECF.

Well, not quite correct and hardly the same situation as it is discussed in here. For one, Lindros never played a single game for Quebec and the best I remember, Clark stripped him of the "C" not because he tried to shake up the team or to motivate Lindros, but because of Lindros' open criticism of the Fliers training staff after they failed to take him to the hospital when they found him passed out in his room with a collapsed lung. To claim that they made it to the ECF because he was stripped of his captaincy has no merit.

All I'm suggesting is we hold him accountable.

Aww.. the players might get sad when they read that.  

UPDATE:  Yes!  At 19:57 of the third period against the Rangers, Nathan Gerbe just shed a tear while leaving the dressing room.  I can only guess that he happened to glance at a web-enabled device in search of fan support, and saw that comment.

Edited by caniac-1-1

Okay, you scratch EStaal and put who in his spot?

Who cares!

Aww.. the players might get sad when they read that.  

UPDATE:  Yes!  At 19:57 of the third period against the Rangers, Nathan Gerbe just shed a tear while leaving the dressing room.  I can only guess that he happened to glance at a web-enabled device in search of fan support, and saw that comment.

At least some one cares!

We need some one to get mad!

The 4 game skid causes fans to think "been here done this" because of the past few seasons I think we automatically think..."here we go again" we've been condition- not our fault- throw in the same old "we played a hard game-didn't get the bounces-I thought we looked good" comments and frustration starts to build for the fans.

In the end it won't matter what the reason is if they don't find a way to start scoring! Maybe everyone at practice including forwards/defense/ heck throw in the backup to the backup backup goalies and the coaches and for the entire practice everyone shoots pucks at the net...skate north shoot-skate south shoot...call them bag skates with a shot :) These men are professional athletes/hockey players not little league 12 year olds learning the game- if they need a confidence booster they need SCORE and win- anyone hear think management/coaching is attempting to pound square pegs into round holes? And perhaps that's the issue? I remember a time when the scoreboard didn't matter/confidence never came up we never heard how good the other team was... The boys just came out did their job played the "game" and won! Some nights they just willed it to happen...where did those Canes go?

I only worry slightly as we seem to get worse with each shift!, Amen on the confidence thing, you want a confidence boost score, hit someone, or hell hit someone

Well I see the problem in a different place, most of you think its a player or management.  Its really all of the above.  The problem is right there in front of you and no one can see it. Its like playing pool everyone thinks the name of the game is to get the ball in the pocket.  Thats only about 20% of the game the other 80% is control of the clue ball.  If you can't control the clue ball then you will only be an aveage player. The teams problem is they can not control the puck.  In any game its all about control, I dont care if its Chess, Checkers, Football, Basketball or any sport or game "Its all about control".  The best play on the board is no good if you are unable to control the puck and execute the play.  I'm like a lot of you, right now I'm disappointed in the teams performance but I'm not going to give up on them. All the negative post on here isn't helpling the matter.  Its not just us who read it, its also the players.  When they read them it doesnt help with their playing.  These negative post are in the back of their mind.  And it doesn't help one bit.  A little more support would go a very long way.

Since you guys read this!

Eric stop coasting and be a leader

Jordan watch your old play from Pit and play like that

All of you! This is hockey be hard to play against!

I lot of things I see here are understandably out of frustration, but not really practical in the nhl. Striping Staal of the C does nothing for the team's confidence nor motivate Staal. I can't think of a single example of where doing that has worked for another team. I think moving him in the lineup might work though. Trading him? If he is such a lazy bum who the hell do you think is going to give up our new messiah for a lazy bum? If you go down that road your going to have to clean house from top to bottom, management, players, trainers, everything, and I don't think this market has the stomach for that. 

great post you nailed it! Now can you please let me back in the chat room?

I'm thinking the team should stay exactly the same as it is, since changing things never works.  I'm also thinking everyone paying for tickets and showing up more than the team does should realize that it's their negative feelings and questioning that are causing the bad play, and start being positive.  I also think that we should put an NHL franchise on the moon, because that would be cool.

Of these thoughts, I spent the most time on the third one.

Here are the cold, hard fact$ on the Brothers $taal:

Eric's salary this year: $9.25 million

Jordan's salary this year: $6 million

Total points for both this year: 11

15.25 million divided by six months (the length of the NHL season) = 2.54 million per month.

2.54 million divided by 11 points (the Staals' total in the first month of the campaign) = $231,000 per point.

What a deal!!!

Meanwhile, Jeff Skinner has missed the last four games and STILL leads the team in points with 9, at the relative bargain of $78,704 per point.

What's wrong with this offense is the Brothers Staal. Both these men have the talent but lack the drive to win. Both got Stanley Cup rings at an early age, and apparently don't think much of going thru the motions every night before fans who have seen their ticket prices rise to pay their ridiculous salaries. I think the acquisition of Malhotra was the latest attempt to light a fire under their butts, but it clearly hasn't worked, for the first two games at least. So sit both their a$$es down. Healthy scratches. And maybe bring Rosie back, so they'll know what energy looks like.

Those blaming the coach here don't know hockey. Even with the Staals stalled, we look better on the PP than we have in years, we are able to hold the O-zone, and we're strong on the back end. Losing 5-1 is no different than losing 3-1 in today's NHL, and losing 3-1, as we did against Tampa, doesn't happen if we respond to Peters' great effort that night with goals. Instead, our offense - and the Staals in particular - seem content to glide back on D (when they get back at all) and to wait until the last five minutes of games to begin playing with the focus they should bring from the first drop of the puck.

Sit 'em down.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I totally agree with the above post...Sit them both... move out Ruutu/Gleason... but at whatever the cost, please stop accepting the status quo and making excuses.. When you product stinks, change it, or go out of business....

I think it's time to shake things up .... this team has NO positive offensive strategy, and shows NO passion to score.   From my seat behind the south goal, it appears that when they have a chance to take it to the net, they instead pass it to the side, and then lose it to the defense.  Why ?   Why not take it to the net and TRY to score.  Nope, they have no positive proactive offensive plan.  

Something has to be changed quick.  And while I think this is a coaching system problem, I doubt JR wants to go there (yet).  So there's only one path .... you've got several 6 and 7 million dollar forward stars who right now (and again for another season) are not performing.  Its time to shock the system, shake things up and trade out a 6-7 million man for a few folks who are willing to shoot the puck into the net. 

I'd put #12 on the top of the potential trade list, for starters.

If you don't like that plan, how would you fix this no offense team ?

The problem with that is Semin is the only $6 Million Dollar man without a no trade clause.

I totally agree with the above post...Sit them both... move out Ruutu/Gleason... but at whatever the cost, please stop accepting the status quo and making excuses.. When you product stinks, change it, or go out of business....

Both Ruutu and Gleason have NTCs too.

What's wrong with this offense is the Brothers Staal. Both these men have the talent but lack the drive to win. Both got Stanley Cup rings at an early age, and apparently don't think much of going thru the motions every night before fans who have seen their ticket prices rise to pay their ridiculous salaries. I think the acquisition of Malhotra was the latest attempt to light a fire under their butts, but it clearly hasn't worked, for the first two games at least. So sit both their a$$es down. Healthy scratches. And maybe bring Rosie back, so they'll know what energy looks like.

Those blaming the coach here don't know hockey. Even with the Staals stalled, we look better on the PP than we have in years, we are able to hold the O-zone, and we're strong on the back end. Losing 5-1 is no different than losing 3-1 in today's NHL, and losing 3-1, as we did against Tampa, doesn't happen if we respond to Peters' great effort that night with goals. Instead, our offense - and the Staals in particular - seem content to glide back on D (when they get back at all) and to wait until the last five minutes of games to begin playing with the focus they should bring from the first drop of the puck.

Sit 'em down.

Well, I'm not necessarily blaming the coach,  but I guess I don't know much about hockey, either. I don't think the PP has looked any better than it has for the last few years - a few good shifts here and there, and otherwise like no one knows what they are doing, with an awfully lot of the time spend in the defensive zone. The first time I have seen any ability this season to hold the O-zone was yesterday - during the first 10 minutes and some in the third period. And only then when the first line (with those dastardly Staals) and the fourth line were out there. As for being stronger on the backend, I guess that depends on what you mean by strong. I don't think the group of defensemen this year are any better, any less one-dimensional, or have any more depth, than in recent years. They do have a different skill set, which I believe has played a role in the improved PK, and the overall decline in offense.

So you've already forgotten the Jokinen trade Pam?

Jokinen trade was different. We played him in a position he didn't really want to play, causing his game to continue spiraling downwards. There's a reason JR had to keep some of his payroll to move him. The whole situation was crappy. Moving either Ruutu or Gleason or both would have a different feel to it. Ruutu would probably seem more like the Williams trade (few injuries, short-term effect on play apparent) and Gleason would be new to me. I think moving Ruutu anytime soon is a mistake. Maybe talk to him about his NTC/NMC now, but give him enough time to find his game. 

I'd want to make a move now, send a message to your fans and team that the current trend is unacceptable, and since they fail to respond they are going to lose potentially a teammate they like. Would probably get the team a bit more determined. Not a huge move, but a significant one. Something like the Downey/Talbot trade. If we did a Vanek/Moulson trade I think it'd be a mistake unless we're getting someone like Patrick Sharp or something (pipedream). 

I'm curious though, if Muller sticks with E. Staal - J. Staal - Semin on the first, maybe we pursue a center capable of top 6 time. Nash and Lindholm aren't ready, Manny isn't a top 6 forward, Ruutu would probably be the best option currently on the roster. Tlusty used to play C too. Gerbe - Ruutu - Tlusty or Tlusty - Ruutu - Gerbe. Then you have Lindholm - Nash - Dwyer or something, followed by Bowman - Malhotra - Sutter.

Realistically, we're going to sit tight, wait for our injuries to pass, and see how to team does with these guys coming back. Unless of course we just continue to not score goals and lose every game. Then I have no clue what we do, but we'd have to do something.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

My worst fear is this team becoming a bunch of lovable losers. I don't want the Canes to be the Chicago Cubs or Cleveland Browns. I know they will probably never be the Yankees, Patriots, Red Wings, or Penguins, but I want a relatively consistent playoff team. I don't think firing the head coach accomplishes anything as we've done this before. I do believe the Staal brothers are the ones holding us back, whether they are purposefully playing with a lack of heart or they simply are in a huge slump (as seems to happen every year to E Staal). The sad part is, I don't see any trade involving Eric Staal where we would look at it and feel like we came out as the "winner" of the trade, at least initially.

And as is the case with most players we trade, he'll go to his new team and somehow find consistancy and put up 80-90 points a year and will, of course, be a Canes-killer when they played against us..

Hey Ya'll. New to the Boards. I have to say there is A LOT of angry fans right now. I'm one of them. The offense NEEDS to win games by scoring goals. I'm glad to see Peters isn't taking most of the negative comments here. Ok so, how does the team fix the issue? I don't think is so drastic as trading the Staals or sitting them. There has to be a move to getting back to basics. The team rises and falls together.

Here's my 2 cents. Take it for what its worth.

Semin- Plays with the puck too much. Has the same old moves and is easily defended. Not to mention his incessant fanning. Come on man.

Staals- Both need to light the fire and WANT to score goals, win and lead this team.

Coach-Needs to hold his leadership accountable for their lack of desire.

JR- Fracking Retire already.

This team needs to learn how to win without our top guys during injury. If they can get that mental block, that they NEED them to win, out of the way this team will fail. This isn't a Coaching/System issue. This same system is played in CHR and they seem to be a winning team. What's the difference? The DESIRE to win. The DRIVE to fight. The WANT to score. I don't see it. Oh and the crap passing that's out there is horrific at best. Cant play hockey with the puck in the skates all the time. Stop trying to be pretty! Get dirty and shoot the damn puck.

My last thing. JR screwed this team by letting one of our best assets go- Brandon Sutter. He is a leader, fighter and a hell of a hockey player. Pit laughed all the way to the bank on that one.

Stepping off the soap box now.

They probably won't do anything major until Dobey or Ward is back for several games.

The passing does indeed suck.

The PP only looks good now because we can rarely sustain a forecheck of any kind, so when we establish possession on the PP, it looks freaking awesome. Our PP is still #21 in the league. Imagine being abandoned in the woods for 2 days with no food. Suddenly, McDonald's looks like a 5 star meal.

Semin has been rough on the offensive blueline at times but he is backchecking and I see hustle out of him. Not sure why he's getting called out as much as I've seen/heard the last week. If Eric was hustling like Semin has, I wouldn't be calling for Eric to be scratched.

I agree with comments about both Eric and Jordan. We have not made playoffs with Eric as captain, and Jordan did nothing as a Cane to earn the "A". When we last made playoffs we had Brindy and other veterans to lead the team such as Whitney, Cullen, Cole, and even Scott Walker (a former captain w/Nashville). I would take the C and A away from the Staals until they show some consistent effort and leadership. And if current production and results continue to trade deadline, I would trade Eric for prospects and picks (if anyone who would want him could take on the salary), and buy out Jordan during our last window to do so next summer. Absent an unbelievable turnaround, no one is going to touch that contract. I have Ben a huge Eric Staal fan for a long time, but5 years of futility is enough to convince me that he cannot be the anchor of a consistent playoff team (or so far, even an occasional one).

What is interesting to me is when they brought in Dvorak and Manny it was said that they

would be good for "veteran leadership" in the locker room. (And I think they have both

shown that leadership on the ice as well)

But E Staal is an 8 year "veteran"---so what is that saying about his leadership in the room ?

We see it is lacking on the ice. It is always lacking until the last couple of months of the season.

Time to have Ron F. have another heart-to heart with him. #12's slow starts are well known. They

happen every year.  Remember?.

For what it is worth, I wouldn't put Jordan in the same category. He hasn't put up the points but

for the most part, he works hard out there every game......and he doesn't take stupid penalties

and then pout as he skates all over the ice.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

If Eric was hustling like Semin has, I wouldn't be calling for Eric to be scratched.

I think that our coaches (and management) have always given Eric a free pass to be more of a one dimensional player. That's the only reason that would make sense that he has gotten away with cheating so often in the defensive zone. You can see it almost every game that the deeper his guy goes that he is supposed to cover, the more he lets off, not because he is lazy IMO but because he is always looking to create a gap and a little more time for breakaways.   

If someone tears up that free pass of his, I'm sure we'll see a more rounded player out of him and a lot fewer instances where the other team skates around like they are on the 'man advantage' and can build momentum.

I have wanted to chime in here for some time so here goes....This team is one of the most poorly run teams in the NHL. Management needs to go and when I say go I mean resign and the list of bad decisions is too long to list here but they have spent way too much money on good but not great NHL players and the Defense on this team has to be the laughing stock of the league. If you want offense get better defensemen period, oh wait a second we have NO MONEY to pay for good defensmen!! Embarrassing! 

noticed last night in looking over the lineup sheet that E.  Staal leads the team in penalty minutes and is towards the bottom in goals for a forward  do not think his contract allows him to be sent down to the Checkers or allows the "C" to be removed from his uniform.  But how about making both brothers a healthy scratch for just one game?

I have wanted to chime in here for some time so here goes....This team is one of the most poorly run teams in the NHL. Management needs to go and when I say go I mean resign and the list of bad decisions is too long to list here but they have spent way too much money on good but not great NHL players and the Defense on this team has to be the laughing stock of the league. If you want offense get better defensemen period, oh wait a second we have NO MONEY to pay for good defensmen!! Embarrassing!

The defense is not the problem. it's our system we emphasize a d first mentality and it leads to a serious lack of offensive chances due to playing a tight back checking game.

Things are going better, havent had many easy teams to play, look at who we have played, and doesnt get easier, peters has held the fort, 3rd in conference, isles losing, i think pens and rangers are better, but who else??? We are rolling 4 lines, now, 4 lines arent producing, but you know the first line has to get it going sooner or later, because its the first line..  :) p.s  playing without top scorer[skinner] and top 2  goalies out for this period of time.. comon now, the non believers  look at the whole pic.. jmo