The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CincoNuwaywaay

Lindholm to Checkers....Why?

I understand the issue with playing time, blah, blah. However this kid was shining in the 9 minutes a night he was getting. He's basically "right there" with the rest of the big names on this team in faceoff percentage, points, +/-, etc. And he doesn't take penalties! Oh, and did I mention? He's done it on 9 FREAKING MINUTES A NIGHT! 

This is also going to kill morale for the young guys as he is very popular in the room. Chalk this up to one more thing that makes me lack confidence in the management of this team. I don't get it.

And while I'm "on one" here...Put E. Staal back on the wing with Jordan!. That line had jump and created a dozen scoring chances. They tried it in flashes and for one game and decided it didn't work. Funny...E Staal won a gold medal as a winger!  

In the big scheme of things I don't have a problem with it as I don't see him as being demoted.  I believe it's a short term thing designed to help Lindholm adjust to the American game/ smaller ice given how many times he's been dinged so far.  I'd be shocked if he's down there more than a few games (10 max).  As others noted, the game will be slightly slower down there and he'll likely be less of a target (not the hotshot rookie coming into the big league that opponents want to "break in").  And he'll probably have more protection, in that the Checkers seem more likely to have players on the ice who can afford to retaliate if he's targeted (Corrente springs to mind).   I'm sure the team knows the reasons and likely length of the move and I'd bet it won't  adversely effect morale.

Oh, and it also lets us get a look at Terry, who's leading the Checkers in goals and points.  Given how anemic our offense has been, I don't see that as a bad thing.  If Terry adds some spark we can send Westgarth down when we're ready to bring Lindholm back up.

I think this will be good for Lindholm. He will get more ice time and a chance to learn the system better and hopefully tally up some goals. Bringing up Terry was a great idea. We get to see him at the NHL level and hopefully he does spark some of the other guys to get some offense going.

The rule is different for Euros...I think...

See the below, from the AHL web site. The new CBA simplified the rules and it is now just a minimum age of 18, regardless what league/country you're coming from. That said, BD58 had the old rule right: Over-21 applied only to players coming from the CHL, not Europe. 

What is the minimum age for an AHL player?

Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

As for why Lindholm went down, I'm hearing the same thing as most here, it's a short-term thing. My guess is to get his wind/stamina up to 15+ minutes per game. Too long in the AHL will change the pace at which one plays, and that's the last thing they want for this kid. Of course, who they brought up is interesting: Terry is the Checkers' all-time leader in games played, goals, assists, and points, and he turns 25 next year. He was a point-a-game guy for CLT before being called up, and despite all those team records, has been seldom seen with the big club. One has to wonder if they are not showcasing him at the NHL level for a possible trade, because they've clearly made a decision that he is not a good fit in Raleigh, and 25 is an old gray mare by AHL standards. Time will tell. 

See the below, from the AHL web site. The new CBA simplified the rules and it is now just a minimum age of 18, regardless what league/country you're coming from. That said, BD58 had the old rule right: Over-21 applied only to players coming from the CHL, not Europe. 

What is the minimum age for an AHL player?

Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

My understanding is that the issue has never been an age limit set by the AHL (who would love to have star 18 and 19 year olds in it's arenas).  Rather, it's an agreement between the NHL and CHL to foster the success of the CHL leagues (important links in the player development pipeline).  I've read that the agreement expired last July, but on the other hand, everything I read now seems to indicate that either it's still in place or was renewed.

If anyone can find something definitive in writing I'd be happy to stand corrected.

Edited by LakeLivin

My understanding is that the issue has never been an age limit set by the AHL (who would love to have star 18 and 19 year olds in it's arenas).  Rather, it's an agreement between the NHL and CHL to foster the success of the CHL leagues (important links in the player development pipeline).  I've read that the agreement expired last July, but on the other hand, everything I read now seems to indicate that either it's still in place or was renewed.

If anyone can find something definitive in writing I'd be happy to stand corrected.

I agree on the basis of the CHL/NHL agreement, but can't find anything to say it's been renewed. If you've got links to that effect please share. The content I posted above from the AHL site is the only reference to eligibility I could find there.

I agree on the basis of the CHL/NHL agreement, but can't find anything to say it's been renewed. If you've got links to that effect please share. The content I posted above from the AHL site is the only reference to eligibility I could find there.

I don't think the NHL-CHL agreement has ever been publicly available.  The best references I could find are several articles published in 2013 (post new CBA) where the columnists called for modifying the CHL age rule to allow 1 exemption per franchise.  I think the fact that teams are continuing to abide by the rule is the best evidence that it's still in effect (e.g., Darnell Nurse with Sault St. Marie).

Edited by LakeLivin

The agreement in question between the NHL-CHL and age eligibility is a private agreement, and has never been made public. 

The other thing, I don't believe by rule that Lindholm can stay in the AHL for more than a conditioning assigment of 10 games, because he had already played in 10 games with the Hurricanes.  Thus, the "maybe two weeks" comment we heard earlier from Muller.

The 10 games Lindholm has played with the Canes means that he's officially into the first year of his entry level contract (too late to let it slide a year). But I don't think that effects how much time he can spend in Charlotte.  On the other hand, I got the impression that the NHL might have a similar agreement with the SHL as they do with the CHL, which might limit Lindholm to a 10 game conditioning stint in the AHL after which he'd have to either return to the Canes or go back to Sweden.

Even though the NHL/ CHL agreement is private, I'd bet that an age provision clause is still in place.  There's no way that Edmonton would send Darnell Nurse to Sault Ste. Marie if they had the option of placing him on their AHL Oklahoma City club.