The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

Mark Howe as Canes GM

Mark Howe would instantly bring us a WINNING culture around here!
(see Red Wings 22-year streak of making the playoffs).

Howe has worked very closely with Mike Babcock and behind the scenes and knows what it takes to win.  

Howe has helped develop the Red Wings team and played a huge role in its success and been a stud Director of Scouting as well. On top of that, he's been in their front office for over 15-years now.

While Howe will not be taking the ice... lets not forget...

Hall of Famer Mark Howe is perhaps the 2-3rd most versatile hockey player ever (stud forward and all star d-man) and that's clearly going to carry some weight with the players (not to mention Gordie visting PNC on occasion).

The Canes need a "winning culture" and Mark Howe is one man that can do it for us -- right here, right now!

And, I bet we could get Mark for the right money, as NC is closer to his NJ family too.

JR, Ronnie and T.MacDonald have had their chance.

Its clear to me, many fans/STH are not coming back if this year ends poorly -- we need a PROVEN winner in the front office -- we need Mark Howe!  

Now is the time! 

So why isn't Buffalo jumping on this?  They have an immediate vacancy that needs to be filled.

Maybe he has no reason to help/work for Buffalo. I can see him having more reason to come here. Who knows? I like this idea, he'd be a good next GM. We all know JR is on his last contract. He'll most likely not step down or get fired though.

I thought the 99% safe assumption was that Ron Francis would be the next GM?

Because the team has done so well with Ronnie in the front office and he has a proven winning record in his executive

off-ice role.

:sarcasmalert:

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Mark Howe would instantly bring us a WINNING culture around here!
(see Red Wings 22-year streak of making the playoffs).

Howe has worked very closely with Mike Babcock and behind the scenes and knows what it takes to win.  

Howe has helped develop the Red Wings team and played a huge role in its success and been a stud Director of Scouting as well. On top of that, he's been in their front office for over 15-years now.

While Howe will not be taking the ice... lets not forget...

Hall of Famer Mark Howe is perhaps the 2-3rd most versatile hockey player ever (stud forward and all star d-man) and that's clearly going to carry some weight with the players (not to mention Gordie visting PNC on occasion).

The Canes need a "winning culture" and Mark Howe is one man that can do it for us -- right here, right now!

And, I bet we could get Mark for the right money, as NC is closer to his NJ family too.

JR, Ronnie and T.MacDonald have had their chance.

Its clear to me, many fans/STH are not coming back if this year ends poorly -- we need a PROVEN winner in the front office -- we need Mark Howe!  

Now is the time! 

Aside from a little misleading assumption that Mark would be closer to his family in New Jersey if he was in North Carolina (the Wing's Pro Scouting Office he works out of is based in Jackson, NJ), nice sales pitch. I like it.

Which front office do you plan on sticking Mark in? 

I thought the 99% safe assumption was that Ron Francis would be the next GM?

Yeah, it's most likely. But that kills me in that he's been cultured around the same environment the team has had while we've been an unsuccessful team. I love Ronnie, and he isn't JR, so I'll be excited when it happens in a couple years. But I'd be thrilled if we brought someone in like Mark Howe. Maybe he could be our new Assistant GM? Or President of Hockey Ops while Ronnie takes GM roles?

I like the Howe idea. Francis as GM has major failure written all over it. We've already seen that he has a terrible eye for talent. How do you demonize the franchises greatest player in history? Give him a job he's destined to fail at, and the public will turn on him regardless of his HOF status. 

Lets not forget Francis spent a few years away from the Whalers/Canes org in a little hockey town called Pittsburgh. He saw a pretty good hockey organization while there. He hasn't got the GM job yet and until he does you really can't evaluate how he would do.

Howe is one of my favorite players. He doesn't have a GM job yet so it is difficult to evaluate how he would do.

I don't think JR is quite done yet.

Doesn't PK have a hate/hate relationship with the Red Wings? Would a 20 year veteran of that organization come to Carolina?

Sometimes consistent winning overcomes a hate/hate relationship.

Dallas has a hate/hate relationship with Detroit and that didn't stop them from poaching Jim Nill as their GM.

OK, I know this will be shot down but, after JR leaves and we get a new GM, I say bring Jeff Daniels up to coach.  He has done very good things with the Checkers.  Give him the reigns and let him loose!

(Howie sounds good for GM!)

On who should be GM.

What does it pay? I mean I'm probably too busy to do it part time...

Hold on rem you have an island to run. Let one of us know-it-alls have a crack at it. ;)

Nice example of Mark Howe evaluating players - it clearly shows how valuable Howe's experience as a D-Man and Forward helps him evaluate players! 

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/hofer_mark_howe_on_how_devils_eric_gelinas_can_develop_watch_bryce_salvador_every_day.html

Refreshing to see a guy talking point blank about what he wants and illustrating it with numbers too! Howe has a pair and is nonsense and has been around a winning NHL front office culture for 15+ years!!

Ronnie?  

Greg, if Mark Howe is such a hot commodity to become a GM how come he's still a scout with the Wings?

Seems like one of the other 28 teams would have scarfed him up by now to head up hockey operations in their organization.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The pattern is, you'll get a comment back as soon as Howe is hired in some sort of a capacity to support the prior argument.  Otherwise, you will be serenaded to sleep by the sound of crickets.

A measurable number of NHL teams already have a GM with a proven winning record or that come from a winning culture. Further, these elite jobs don’t come open every day.

If you have specific reasons to think Mark Howe does not have the knowledge and know how to be a solid NHL GM please do advise and lets discuss them.