The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

The Sekera Appreciation Thread....

Agreed. Chara's gushing comment the other day about how good Sekera really is tells a lot about what kind of person/player he is. And the team change has really been a plus for him as well as for the Canes.

Agreed. Chara's gushing comment the other day about how good Sekera really is tells a lot about what kind of person/player he is. And the team change has really been a plus for him as well as for the Canes.

Have you got a link to Chara's comment?

I love Sekera. I called it when I said he'd take on the role Pitkanen was supposed to fill but never really fully accomplished. I see a long extension coming if he's up for it and continues playing this way. One game back and he scores his career high 6th goal, only in the third month of the season. Can't wait to see what his point totals are at the end of the year. Amazing pick up. He was truly underrated before. 

If this weren't reality, I'd go get Chara to play with Sekera and see them make magic together.

Have you got a link to Chara's comment?

Unfortunately no. John and Tripp mentioned it when we played the Bruins that Chara thought a lot of Sekera and that like him, needed a team change to re-energize him.

I also felt and have posted that this was a great move by JR.

From my Rock you Like a Hurricane Manifesto: 

Sekera. Only know what I’ve read, but what I’ve read is that JR found a hidden gem here, especially for what we need. If one suspends fantasy (teams don’t give up their Chara’s), it is hard to think of a dramatically better pick up here. All kinds of great advanced stats on the guy, history of top of team plus minus, coaches gave him the ice time of a trusted defender, and his strength, fundamentally sound, and great at getting the puck out of our end and making that first pass. Sound like the opposite of someone? McBain, perhaps? This is a HUGE upgrade not to be overlooked.

Slick move JR. I'd also like to thank Buffalo for Gerbe.

Just seemed worth bumping.

One of the announcers, maybe Forslund? Said that he was asked if one guy were to be injured and have the biggest impact on the team who would it be? He said Sekera or Faulk. 

Some saying Sekera is the best player on the team.

I was thinking about how Sekera is the guy who makes the Pitkanen forays into the zone, but makes them turn into points. 

I had thought Murphy would be that guy for us, and Sekera would be a smooth back end guy mainly. But he has made several of those Orr-like toy with the opposition circles through the offensive zone, and turned most of them into goals or chances. 

One of our biggest weaknesses has been no true #1 d pairing. Not any more.

He's been unreal. Definitely one of my favorite Canes, seems like a true professional.

Can't help but wonder what kind of attention he would be getting in a larger market...he's been that good IMO.

I know during the Buffalo game Tripp mentioned that Sekera played with alot of different players in Buffalo and that he like being teamed with 1 guy and staying there. Got the impression he wasn't too happy with all the changeds in line mates in Buffalo.