The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bourke11

Bruins VS Pens

What if the NHL were to go the way of the NFL?  The NFL puts up with nothing.  I am not saying they should do this but WHAT IF the league started handing out punishments like the loss of draft picks to a team?  We might THEN see a change in some of these stupid moves.  Just a thought.  Again, not saying this is my opinion.  

And there it is folks...Shanny delivers the punch line to the joke- Neal only gets 5 game suspension for "kneeing" you have to be kidding me...5 games for blatantly slamming in to another player while he is down on the ice- Neal even appears to change his skate direction to make solid contact...Thanks for nothing Shanny... What a joke

I think that is what was expected. I'm not saying its right or enough just what was expected. I think everyone expects Thornton to get 10 games because he has a face to face hearing.

I suspect it wasn't more than 5 because Marchand wasn't seriously injured.  And I suspect Thornton's will be harsher because Orpik was taken off the ice on a stretcher.  I personally don't think the result should influence the punishment more significantly than the intent, but the league sometimes seems to.

I agree that Marchand not being injured should not have made the suspension less. Neal is a punk. Thornton crossed the line big time but I think he has more character then Neal any day of the week. I can't believe how many liberties teams are taking against Bruins. Duprie broke Kelly's Fibula, and their rookie was boarded last night and was hurt.

I agree that Marchand not being injured should not have made the suspension less. Neal is a punk. Thornton crossed the line big time but I think he has more character then Neal any day of the week. I can't believe how many liberties teams are taking against Bruins. Duprie broke Kelly's Fibula, and their rookie was boarded last night and was hurt.

The popular perception is that being big & tough discourages other teams from taking liberties.  This would seem to indicate that in reality the opposite is sometimes true.

I think Shannahan got one right for a change

I wouldn't have a problem with the 15 games except for this: there are so many other players under-penalized, it makes this one suspension almost seem like an outlier.  Except for the outcome, I thought Emery going after Holtby was more egregious than Thornton/ Orpik.  And Neal's suspension should have been as long as Thornton's imo since I believe Neal's action had more of an intent to injure than Thornton's.  

Thornton should have gotton the same suspension that Orpik got for breaking Eric Cole's neck. Orpik has to stop acting like a mammas boy and stand up and fight. There is a difference in seperating a man from the puck with a big hit and seperating the guys head from his body. Orpik is out there to hurt and intimidate just as much as Thornton is. If Orpik did not play for the leagues beloved Penguins he would be suspended at least two or three times a season for his actions. All I am saying is if Orpik wants to play that style of game he should be man enough to square off with all comers when it is warrented.

Edited by RonnieFranchise

It's tough to describe my thoughts on this because part of me is saying that punk finally got what's coming to him, but it doesn't change the fact both events were cheap and I could just do without the bush league crap all together rather then watch 2 wrongs make another wrong.

The fact Thornton's even thinking about an appeal or at least thats what it sounded like he was thinking about in the article shows just what's wrong with this game. The PA doesn't care about player safety if they help him appeal this, the league needs these longer suspensions to draw a line in the sand.

Shanny in his first month on the job knew this but the NHL and PA obviously handcuffed him from what he knew was right. Imo he's a sell out and should have continued handing out the justice he knew was right rather then curb it back just to get a paycheck.

Neal's actions deserved at least the same as Thornton- but he is on the "golden team" so not gonna happen- if Orpiks hit on Erikson was not a head shot why did Erikson have to leave the game and is now out with a concussion? Both teams injure teams - neither team plays with honor or respect for the game or it's athletes- They play that way because the league allows it... Proof is in the punishment handed out- Neal repeat offender- 5 games for intent to injure Orpiks- repeat offender-0 suspension and no penalty for a hit that was clearly a head shot... Thornton -first time offender 15 games for take down- 2 punches and injury to Orpik...(it deserved suspension he lost it no excuse) Sorry but watching the suspensions/fines/disapline handed out I am picturing a dart board or straws or dice or a a wheel you spin- "let's make a deal"

What a joke :(

I think Orpik is a coward who is always looking to hurt someone. I see all these other players who make the big hit penalized or not but are willing to answer the bell when an opponent stands up for a the guy he hit. I really believe Neal will get what he has coming one day. I sure wish Pitt and Boston had another regular season game. I still smh that Emery got nothing after his all out assault on the Caps Goalie. 15 games is about right IMO.