The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ThaRaven

Gleason traded to Toronto for John-Michael Liles and a Prospect.

Watched a little of Rangers/Leafs. Leafs defense is really horrible and they can use Gleason, even at his current level of play.

They have a few blueliners that are real liabilities. They seem to have talent, but boy their execution is awful. Coaching?

Ha, just as I wrote this announcers say "Think Gleason should have been in" Answer: Yes, and we better see him Tuesday. :)

Edited by Manwolf

Ever since Gleason got married and had a kid, he just didn't seem like the same person. He took less chances and didn't throw the body as much as he use to. For a couple seasons, he's been slow and not as physical. His best seasons are behind him.

OK, I'll climb out on the limb. At the end of the season the verdict will be that the trade was better for Gleason than Liles.

I've got to go the other way. Due to his contract and the Leafs cap space, Liles was basically playing in the AHL with very limited NHL options .  Gleason's situation wasn't great, but at least he was with an NHL club. I think the baseline alone makes it easier for Liles to come out ahead relative to where they started. 

Ever since Gleason got married and had a kid, he just didn't seem like the same person. He took less chances and didn't throw the body as much as he use to. For a couple seasons, he's been slow and not as physical. His best seasons are behind him.

I suspect that the human body can only take so much of Gleason's physical style of play before it starts to revolt. Remember, Gleason started training camp playing very physical hockey, got in a fight, and began the season on IR with a concussion.  I agree that, unfortunately, Gleason's best years are likely behind him.      

While I think some of the discussed issues may have played a part in the decline, I wonder if Gleason was "required" to pull some of that physicality back once the "A" was stitched on his jersey. Maybe a change of scenery and just being able to play his game will make a difference.

I haven't been impressed with Liles, but I haven't been unimpressed either. Don't seem to notice him out there much, and maybe that is a good thing. He's made some nice breakout passes. He hasn't had much of a chance to quarterback the PP, anxious to see what he can do there.

He's +5 in three games played as a Cane so he must be doing something right, or at least not doing much wrong. Hope that trend continues. I'm not optimistic when it comes to smallish PMD (due to our history) but Liles is a new Cane so I will be rooting for him big time. If he does work out, he could be a difference maker.

Again, he is +5 with the Canes already. I'll take it.

Leaf fan here:  I just wanted to see how Canes fans feel about having JML on their roster.  Taking into consideration his +5 in 3 games which I feel is a bogus stat how has he been playing.  I for one will miss JML I thought he was a victim of a bad contract that was offered to him and as a Leaf fan who hasn't seen Gleason suit up yet should I be getting excited?  Will Gleason help stabilized this horrid defense the Leafs have?

Leaf fan here:  I just wanted to see how Canes fans feel about having JML on their roster.  Taking into consideration his +5 in 3 games which I feel is a bogus stat how has he been playing.  I for one will miss JML I thought he was a victim of a bad contract that was offered to him and as a Leaf fan who hasn't seen Gleason suit up yet should I be getting excited?  Will Gleason help stabilized this horrid defense the Leafs have?

Well, Gleason wasn't getting it done here lately.  Tim was a fan favorite to many and we hope the change of scenery will prompt a turnaround for him, but who knows?

The entire reason (outside of the change of scenery thing) to get JML is for the PP. Thus far, too soon to tell. He has made some nice little plays, and the numbers on the PP are better, but still to pass the sniff test of a PP that is clicking. Now w/ Harrison out, JML is filling in nicely. But what happens when Harrison is back? 

Also, it keeps looking like Komi is essentially a permanent back up and fill in for inevitable injuries.

I am as optimistic as the next Caniac about young Murphy, but he is showing signs of his "rookieness". Whiffing on pucks and getting caught out of position a bit. He'll settle that down over time, but it is showing up a bit now.

I really want to see that top PP unit "looking" good and scoring. If that happens w/ JML at the helm, it will have been a good trade for sure, and this team will keep rolling. That is the missing piece right now.

Edited by remkin

The entire reason (outside of the change of scenery thing) to get JML is for the PP. Thus far, too soon to tell. He has made some nice little plays, and the numbers on the PP are better, but still to pass the sniff test of a PP that is clicking. Now w/ Harrison out, JML is filling in nicely. But what happens when Harrison is back? 

Also, it keeps looking like Komi is essentially a permanent back up and fill in for inevitable injuries.

I am as optimistic as the next Caniac about young Murphy, but he is showing signs of his "rookieness". Whiffing on pucks and getting caught out of position a bit. He'll settle that down over time, but it is showing up a bit now.

I really want to see that top PP unit "looking" good and scoring. If that happens w/ JML at the helm, it will have been a good trade for sure, and this team will keep rolling. That is the missing piece right now.

Wow I forgot Komi signed with the Canes in the offseason! Komi, Tlusty, Harrison, JML, Poni ( no longer there).  Talk about old Leafs revisited lol.  Here's to hoping for a good game Thursday night in Raleigh between the Leafs and Canes.

atsrob,

As others alluded to, Gleason WAS really good for us for years. A very solid, gritty stay at home defenseman. This year with injuries and other young defensemen stepping up, he never got going. Hopefully with a change of scenery and a bigger need/role, he will do well for your defense in Toronto. The past couple years he was considered our best defenseman and the anchor of our D. 

So Timmy played tonight- 5-3 loss...here is what he had to say about Carolina

"It's kind of a laid-back situation there," said Gleason of Raleigh, North Carolina, "easy-living, good weather, beautiful place to play. But hockey career-wise, it was a decision that had to be made. This is the hockey place where you want to play."

Looks like he has moved on-however I hope the Caniacs in attendance Thursday show him we appreciate all he did here for the Canes and the community- STANDING O and nod last "gleason" (gleaming) for the road :)

Liles definitely had the better showing last night. I did not like Gleasons slash and cross check on Staal. He is in a big time hockey market with an original 6 team but the pressure that comes with it...

Liles leads the team at +6.

He is +8 in 7 games with the Canes.

He hasn't been a world-beater but he has been steady. Moving him up to the second pairing with Hainsey is a good move based on his play. It also makes our second pairing a veteran unit and should provide more stability.

Let's hope his steady play continues, he has certainly been an upgrade over Gleason to this point.

Edited by Kyrule

Watch out, JR might try to sign him at a 5.7 mil contract this summer ;)

If I were Liles I would hold out for at least a six year term with a no trade clause of course.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you guys read and agree with my comments in the "are you happy with Rutherford's performance" thread.

Edited by Kyrule

Liles has played well and I think he stabilizes our defense as he is more of a true #4 than Komi, Harrison, Bellemoore, or Murphy.

Still, if he was brought in to help the PP I haven't seen it.

I'm not blaming Liles, the problem is bigger than him.

It's been a good trade to this point, just wish it would have helped the PP. Maybe in the near future, but our PP just seems doomed to struggle forever.

I agree, been pretty happy with Liles despite a bad play that led to one of the first goals last night. Is Gleason playing much for Toronto?

Gleason has played in 12 games with Toronto. He has one goal and one assist and is -5. The Leafs have been playing better lately after that dip they had, but being -5 in 12 games I'm not sure Timmy is a big part of the turnaround. He started in the top pairing with Phaneuf, but I believe he was moved down after a few games.

Edited by Kyrule