The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 Sochi Olympics: Mostly hockey but any Olympic talk welcome

Thought I'd change things up and start a new discussion concerning the upcoming Winter Olympics and announcements coming in the next week (Team USA will announce at the end of the Winter Classic)

Here are the latest projections:

Tuomo Ruutu-Finland projected to make the team

Alex Semin- Russia projected to make the team

Justin Faulk- USA looks to be on the bubble

Eric Staal- Canada projected to make the team

Andrej Sekera- Slovakia projected to make the team

With Skinner's play making ability and scoring 12 goals in December, he would be an excellent addition to Canada's team

Edited by hopper915

You know, Justin Faulk sent out a very vague and cryptic tweet at about 3am (I saw it this morning, too late for my blood!) It read, "It is what it is folks...happy new year". With the roster coming out today, I'm wondering if he didn't see the roster and find out he wasn't on it?? Just a curious message I thought..... Man, I hope they don't snub him. He wasn't going to be in the top 6, but the kid is a stud with a lot of international experience and quick feet for the big ice. Hope my "feeling" is wrong! 

Grats to Faulk! Was so happy to see him when they announced his name! About the only time you will see the Carolina Hurricanes mentioned on NBC.

I was really surprised with Ryan. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some who will be riding the bus in case there are players that won't make it due to injuries. Now they need to get the jerseys produced so I can get a Faulk.

Canada has asked for an extension, so they won't make their announcement until Jan. 7th.

Edited by hopper915

Canada has asked for an extension, so they won't make their announcement until Jan. 7th.

Hmm, I wonder if they decided they needed time to reevaluate some things after Skinner's 3rd period last night :P

This article is great, and explains in depth how the final decisions for the US squad were made.  It's a little long, but very interesting, and answers a lot of questions I had.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10195703/how-us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

Edited by coastal_caniac

I have seen numerous projections with Staal sliding off Canada's roster. I hope it's not the case as he had a nice point streak during December and though he wasn't flashy he played great in the 2010 games stepping out of his comfort zone and being whatever the team needed him to be. 

As for Skinner it is my belief teams should to leave spots for someone who is hot at the time and Skinner is in a zone! In addition to being on fire I think his style of play lends itself to the larger ice surface.

Nice article about Skinner!

http://cardiaccane.com/2014/01/03/carolina-hurricanes-jeff-skinner-canadas-olympic-hockey-team/I

I completely agree and posted it on the game day thread last game.

How on Earth do you not take the leading scorer in goals and points/minute?

I've heard the thinking on Bobby Ryan that if he's not in the top 6, we chose to go a different direction. And this would be the only reason that they might not take a guy like Skinner. But I don't get it. This is not a typical team, this is an All Star type team. You don't need a prototypical 3rd line. Most teams in the NHL have a third line checking line because they have no choice. There aren't enough high end scoring forwards to go around, and even if you could get them, you couldn't pay them and stay under the cap. That is not a problem in the Olympics.

Plus, you have a power play and need snipers for that.

Plus there's all this talk about the future and building guys for 4 years out who have the experience of playing in the Olympics. Skinner certainly fits that bill. 

Skinner should be on the team.

Edited by remkin

In my opinion if healthy Staal will be on the team (barely) not to say I think Staal isn't worthy but from reports I see it will be 50/50 for him. Skinner will sadly not make it even though he is playing amazingly I have a gut feeling they will stick to the guys they have had on their radar all along. If Skinner makes it I think Staal slides off the roster. 

I hope I am wrong because I would love to see them both playing for their country!

TWO MORE MAKE IT!

Andrej Sekera (Slovakia)

Tuomo Ruutu (Finland) (Former Hurricane Jussi Jokinen makes it too)

Team Canada makes their roster announcement at 11am.

Edited by hopper915

They've been projecting Logan Couture all season to be on the roster for Canada. Sharks announced this morning that he is having surgery (shoulder) and is dealing with another injury with no timetable set for his return. Will be interesting to see in a few min if they still name him to the team.

No Canes on Team Canada.

On a selfish note, no worries about an Olympic injury, some extra rest, and hopefully some extra motivation for E and Skins in the drive for the playoffs after the Olympics are over. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Team Canada just announce!

No Skinner, No Staal.

Not surprise that either Staal brother made the team, but with Skinner's play and playmaking ability, I would have thought he made it at the end. Stamkos was named, but it will be dependent upon his doctors whether or not he'll actually make the team. If he does not make it, they will make a decision on bringing in another player to take his place.

That being said, maybe this will light a fire on some players who thought would make it to show they should have made it.

Now have to wait to see what Russia does. Semin should make it.

Edited by hopper915

On a selfish note, no worries about an Olympic injury, some extra rest, and hopefully some extra motivation for E and Skins in the drive for the playoffs after the Olympics are over. 

I agree with this.  I'm glad that some of our guys are heading to Sochi, but deep down I just don't want to see any of them get injured.

No Semin on Russia's roster.

olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/07/Russia-Olympic-hockey-roster-sochi-alex-ovechkin-evgeni-malkin/

(hopefully I typed that out correctly...copy and paste isn't working)