The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 Sochi Olympics: Mostly hockey but any Olympic talk welcome

Just finished watching USA/Russia on dvr. Pretty epic game! Very physical all game. And the Oshie vs. Russia shootout was awesome with all the back and forth. USA!

Who the heck knows what he's talking about?  Maybe the shootout rules or something.  Consider the source though.

You are just sore because you know that I am right. Quick knew the net was off, he just forgot to point to it until Russia scored. Nice dive by Callahan near the end of the game to draw the late PP. Goaltender interferance should have been called on Parise when the USA scored the second goal. Need I go on... Cheap win. You would say the same if you did not have your red,white and blue glasses on.

All of those complaints, even if true, point a lot more to poor officiating than they do "cheating".  Cheating to win?  Now there is the sign of a poor loser.

You are just sore because you know that I am right. Quick knew the net was off, he just forgot to point to it until Russia scored. Nice dive by Callahan near the end of the game to draw the late PP. Goaltender interferance should have been called on Parise when the USA scored the second goal. Need I go on... Cheap win. You would say the same if you did not have your red,white and blue glasses on.

Thanks for the explanation, it would have been easier just to get that out there first.

USA 3  Russia 2.  Dang Franchise, why in the heck would I be sore, eh?

When the net is off the peg and not toughing the ice it calls for a whistle, even when it's only partially dislodged per IIHF rules. That would have been a goal in North America. They didn't blow it dead like they should have.  It's dumb to argue otherwise.  The camera showed clearly the net dislodged as Quick was pushing off.  It's not the goalies responsibility to blow it dead and besides he doesn't have a whistle.  And then there's video review. They got it right. and again, by IIHF rules.  Good for Quick for pointing it out too!  And one more thing, those look to be some pretty short pegs compared to NHL rinks.  Not to mention if you replay the game you will see the ice crew dragging around the net with the pegs attached.

Actually, it sounds a lot like your the one that's a "sore" loser :razz:.  Oh, and unless I'm mistaken Russia had a chance to win the game.  TJ Sochi said no, and unless going 4 for 6 on his shootout attempts is against the rules then I don't know what more you can say.  Without that, Datsyuk and Kovlachuk would have likey put it away for the Russians.

Good win, weird calls went both ways (like the phantom interference call on Brown on Russia's tying PP goal).  I thought it was a great game, and it's only seeding the medal round, so we might have a chance to discuss who's the better team again.

And if it's not obvious enough Franchise just what part of Canada do you hail from?  Just curious?

Edited by coastal_caniac

And don't take my word for it:

According to the International Ice Hockey Federation rulebook, a goal is disallowed "if the net has been displaced from its normal position, or the frame of the goal net is not completely flat on the ice."  In regards to the disallowed goal Saturday, the IIHF stated: "Upon reviewing the goal, the net had clearly been displaced prior to the puck going into the net. ... The IIHF referee supervisor Konstantin Komissarov confirmed that the ruling made by referees Brad Meier and Markus Vinnerborg was the correct call and that the proper procedure had been followed with regards to the video review."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=705138&navid=DL|NHL|home

Great tournament so far, and for anybody else watching is it hard getting up to watch hockey with coffee barely in hand? :blink:

Edited by coastal_caniac

Is a sore winner possible? I don't think so.

Anyway does anyone know how these referee teams work together? I am going to assume they each speak different languages or is required they be bi-lingual? You can only point and gesture so much to someone who doesn't know you're language.

I am from Newfoundland, an island off the east coast of Canada. We are very stubburn here eh. We do not say eh by the way. Darren Langdon lives about an hour away, great guy and a very hard nosed hockey player. I would have stated the same had Canada been involved. In the world juniors I predicted a fifth place finish for Canada and they finished fourth. A bunch of spoiled rich kids, who would expect any more. We play tough here and expect nothing less. I can not bring myself to chear for a team that has Orpik on it. The tornament fits the bill for him and guys like Brown. You can take a run at guys and do not have to pay as there is no fighting allowed.

Thanks for the explanation, it would have been easier just to get that out there first.

USA 3  Russia 2.  Dang Franchise, why in the heck would I be sore, eh?

When the net is off the peg and not toughing the ice it calls for a whistle, even when it's only partially dislodged per IIHF rules. That would have been a goal in North America. They didn't blow it dead like they should have.  It's dumb to argue otherwise.  The camera showed clearly the net dislodged as Quick was pushing off.  It's not the goalies responsibility to blow it dead and besides he doesn't have a whistle.  And then there's video review. They got it right. and again, by IIHF rules.  Good for Quick for pointing it out too!  And one more thing, those look to be some pretty short pegs compared to NHL rinks.  Not to mention if you replay the game you will see the ice crew dragging around the net with the pegs attached.

Actually, it sounds a lot like your the one that's a "sore" loser :razz:.  Oh, and unless I'm mistaken Russia had a chance to win the game.  TJ Sochi said no, and unless going 4 for 6 on his shootout attempts is against the rules then I don't know what more you can say.  Without that, Datsyuk and Kovlachuk would have likey put it away for the Russians.

Good win, weird calls went both ways (like the phantom interference call on Brown on Russia's tying PP goal).  I thought it was a great game, and it's only seeding the medal round, so we might have a chance to discuss who's the better team again.

And if it's not obvious enough Franchise just what part of Canada do you hail from?  Just curious?

Edited by RonnieFranchise

Great tournament so far, and for anybody else watching is it hard getting up to watch hockey with coffee barely in hand? :blink:

I have been DVR-ing everything, and the "hard" part is avoiding finding out the results before I get a chance to watch. Some close calls but so far so good for the most part.

I have a lot of respect for Latvia, they really play hard despite the results not being there.

Sweden has been off their game for much of the tournament, and that is what scares me (from a Team USA supporter).

Finland's offensive output has been surprising but Canada should be a better test/gauge.

Can't wait for the elimination games when things should ramp up even more.

On different note, I believe Faulk is the only US player now  who has not dressed for all three games. Lavi's way to poke a finger in JR's eye?

Edited by Old_School

Unbelievable Faulk didn't get a start against Slovenia, if nothing more than to spell some of the higher minutes defenseman.  Now he likely won't get in at all, and if he's not dressed for at least a game he won't get a medal if they do win one.

Screw Bylsma and his homer ways.

coastal, are you sure that the US played Slovenia and not Slovakia, or did I miss something? As to Faulk not playing, we all saw, and several have commented that his play has dropped off. I wonder if he's still nursing some type of injury, and if so, I'm totally ok to have him heal that rather than risk him being hampered for the rest of our season! As much as I dislike both Bylsma and Lavi, it may be that JR actually has a hand in this to preserve our 1st pairing defenseman. I mean really, who on here would rather see Faulk get a medal vs contribute to playoffs?Oh that's right, according to a previous poster who commented to me, "I'm just being selfish".

Unbelievable Faulk didn't get a start against Slovenia, if nothing more than to spell some of the higher minutes defenseman.  Now he likely won't get in at all, and if he's not dressed for at least a game he won't get a medal if they do win one.

Screw Bylsma and his homer ways.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Sorry coastal and Old School, my bad. I thought I saw in paper this AM that the US was not scheduled a game, but didn't read the next column. This tells you that I'm not a fan of NHL players in Olympics, and will never be!!

I thought Faulk would see the ice today for sure. That's just wrong.

I know it isn't little league and everybody plays, but these are all professionals. If they won't play him on a quick turn around in a back to back, he is probably not going to sniff the ice in the elimination phase.

Edited by super_dave_1

Mabye I'm not being objective, but I think I am, but I believe Faulk is a better Dman than either Orpik or Martin. I guess Bylsma is trying to keep his boys happy.

I would have loved to have seen Faulk today, but looking glass half full, at least he wasn't put in and injured. Also, USA has won three in a row. As long as they're winning, I guess I'm okay with him being scratched.

No wonder the NHL doesn't want it's players in this tourney, refs had their whistles crammed up their butts for both teams. 2 boards and a slash to the hands just in the final 10 minutes of the game.

I have never been crazy about pro sports---until I found hockey. THIS is why I love my hockey players!    :thumbsup:

1780729_807890649224898_698910946_n.jpg

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I have never been crazy about pro sports---until I found hockey. THIS is why I love my hockey players!    :thumbsup:

To be fair, Lebron was asked what it's like to be the hero of a GAME. I'm sure Oshie was asked what it's like to be an American hero. 

There is a big difference.

I still think, overall, hockey players are a classy lot---in the way they talk about the game just played (ie Oshie also said

something like "hey, I had a teammate out there--Quickie was in the net at the other end of the ice."), in the way they

celebrate their wins (no show-boating), and in the way they conduct their personal lives. They keep their private

lives private--and out of the glaring headlines, for the most part.  That is just my $.02

To be fair, Lebron was asked what it's like to be the hero of a GAME. I'm sure Oshie was asked what it's like to be an American hero. 

There is a big difference.

Edited by UNCCaniac8