The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 Sochi Olympics: Mostly hockey but any Olympic talk welcome

Canada has trouble with Latvia, their second goal comes on the 54th shot. Olvechkin disappears from Russian hockey after first game. Finland has great game. That Kessel kid for team USA may be the best in the Olympics. Great progress for someone who was picked last at the ASG.

P.S. His sister is worth watching.

It is sad to see that Faulk is the only player, other than the two goalies, that has not seen any playing time. He should have played today and I just think it's wrong that these 3 guys are being left behind. Now we are in the playoffs and it's doubtful they will play.

The question was asked, "Would you rather see playing time on the team that finishes 4th, or win the gold without playing at all?"

I would rather play and finish 4th! Saying you have a gold metal for doing nothing just doesn't seem right.   :thumbdown: 

It will be interesting to see if the insertion of the Olympics affects the rest of the season/playoff in the NHL. 

Sure, pulling for the USA to get the gold, and the USA/Russia game was great, and all, and I'll be interested in the medal games, but in general I'm having more trouble getting into Olympic hockey this year. Maybe, fewer of our guys being there? Faulk not playing, Sekera being on a bad team...Russia bowing out early is kind of interesting, but also creates less interest now...

But anyway, I'm interested in the effect on our players and our team for the playoff run. 

As a team we should benefit from not sending some big guns who can rest up, Staals, Skinner, even Linholm. To be cold, Faulk not playing at least does give him some body recovery time. I mean do you count Faulk if he doesn't play? If not, we sent 3 in terms of running them down which is the low end of any team.

So we are on the low end of the "run down" team. I can't imagine that just sending one or two extra players matters, but what about sending a bunch? There is some evidence that sending more than 5 players can have a negative effect. If we say at least for making the playoffs that Boston and Pittsburgh are in. Then the teams in contention that might have a significant disadvantage with the rest of the NHL year:

1. Detroit: 10 players 6 of them Swedes who will play the full number of games. The most effected team in contention in the East.

2. NYR: 7 players, all of them playing the full slate of games.

3. Montreal: 7 players, most playing 4-5 games

After that, Philly and TB and Washington have 5.  Now Washington has 3 still playing and Ovi is taking a lot of heat....

The NYR are a major in conference threat to boot us out, and Det is a major wild card competitor. 

Hey every little edge..

As for our guys:

Faulk: has to be a let down. But at least didn't get burned out. Hopefully got to see some events. 

Sekera: actually lead his teams d in points, and had the same +/- as Chara, pretty good. And only played 4 games.

Ruutu: playing well maybe gets some nice confidence, but is playing a lot of minutes. Still was not playing great for us, so this might be a big plus.

Semin: Who knows? Part of the big disappointment team and the big disappointment line. But did not end up being left out of his home Olympics. And only played 4 games. 

Overall, on balance, assuming Ruutu stays healthy, I would say the net effect benefits us vs other teams.

Again, any edge.

Now go USA.

Being from Europe, I picked Finland weeks ago. I love the way they play as a team. They have heart. I would love it if they won the gold. I also bet ten pounds (uk money) when they were 12/1 in odds in the UK :) GO FINLAND!!

From an American Olympic standpoint, I don't give a damn.  :usa:

Just kidding, well not really, but come on Franchise Canada is in the semis and anything can happen in one game.

What do you think is "wrong" from a Canadian Olympic viewpoint?

As far as Russia goes, their defense couldn't hold the O-zone, rarely pinched, and they became a one shot and out team.  But what really cost them was coaching.  Their coach didn't believe in line-matching nor did he make adjustments in the game.  He just kept cycling the same 4 lines out there.  Four grinding lines.  All that cost them.

Edited by coastal_caniac

A couple of gems from the Rus/Fin game...

Putin having a great time at the game: Bg1zyArCMAAHqbi.jpg

Kovy being a jerk:

1208830052.gif

Edited by Ichigo-1

Great to find out that Faulk will still get a medal if USA wins one.  But I pose a question to the rest of you...

Would you rather see playing time on the team that finishes 4th, or win the gold without playing at all?

I would rather play. Winning a medal without playing just makes it a conversation piece.

Ichigo, that clip of Kovy is from some other tournament/Olympics. Uniforms are wrong.

That Kovy Clip looks to be from the IIHF World Championships from last year, the same tournament our captain got injured in

And speaking of Amanda Kessel, the US women get a chance to avenge the 2010 Loss to Canada, has they face there rivals, once again, for the gold medal, today at 12 PM ET on NBC 

Edited by Carolinafan85

It will be interesting to see if the insertion of the Olympics affects the rest of the season/playoff in the NHL. 

Sure, pulling for the USA to get the gold, and the USA/Russia game was great, and all, and I'll be interested in the medal games, but in general I'm having more trouble getting into Olympic hockey this year. Maybe, fewer of our guys being there? Faulk not playing, Sekera being on a bad team...Russia bowing out early is kind of interesting, but also creates less interest now...

But anyway, I'm interested in the effect on our players and our team for the playoff run. 

As a team we should benefit from not sending some big guns who can rest up, Staals, Skinner, even Linholm. To be cold, Faulk not playing at least does give him some body recovery time. I mean do you count Faulk if he doesn't play? If not, we sent 3 in terms of running them down which is the low end of any team.

So we are on the low end of the "run down" team. I can't imagine that just sending one or two extra players matters, but what about sending a bunch? There is some evidence that sending more than 5 players can have a negative effect. If we say at least for making the playoffs that Boston and Pittsburgh are in. Then the teams in contention that might have a significant disadvantage with the rest of the NHL year:

1. Detroit: 10 players 6 of them Swedes who will play the full number of games. The most effected team in contention in the East.

2. NYR: 7 players, all of them playing the full slate of games.

3. Montreal: 7 players, most playing 4-5 games

After that, Philly and TB and Washington have 5.  Now Washington has 3 still playing and Ovi is taking a lot of heat....

The NYR are a major in conference threat to boot us out, and Det is a major wild card competitor. 

Hey every little edge..

As for our guys:

Faulk: has to be a let down. But at least didn't get burned out. Hopefully got to see some events. 

Sekera: actually lead his teams d in points, and had the same +/- as Chara, pretty good. And only played 4 games.

Ruutu: playing well maybe gets some nice confidence, but is playing a lot of minutes. Still was not playing great for us, so this might be a big plus.

Semin: Who knows? Part of the big disappointment team and the big disappointment line. But did not end up being left out of his home Olympics. And only played 4 games. 

Overall, on balance, assuming Ruutu stays healthy, I would say the net effect benefits us vs other teams.

Again, any edge.

Now go USA.

rem, you bring up some seriously good points, particularly factoring this upcoming "compressed" chaos that the season is heading into.

On another front, over on Canes Country, they are reporting that Semin was playing with :serious wrist and back problems". can anyone on here confirm that? Are semantics possibly clouding the wording? If true, this would be extremely unfortunate.

On Semin playing w/ wrist and back problems...woooo boy. 

There have been ongoing rumors about wrist problems. I guess I missed back problems. 

But if true what an unfortunate thing to have him added. The pressure of playing for the home country in home Olympics may have pushed him to play through these issues, where he may have benefitted from 2 weeks off.

I really hope not because we will need him.

Tip of the hat to the USA and Canada women's hockey teams. Great game. It's really ashamed that one had to go home the loser, but that's how this works.

Edited by super_dave_1

I was keeping up with the updated scores online, and in the blink of an eye we go from securing the gold to a tie game.  Heartbreaking way to lose, but still proud of the women's team.

I was keeping up with the updated scores online, and in the blink of an eye we go from securing the gold to a tie game.  Heartbreaking way to lose, but still proud of the women's team.

Team USA hit the post on an empty net that would have sealed the deal.  Talk about heartbreaking.

I watched the game. I really don't see how that penalty in OT was a slash against USA. All game long, they weren't calling it when a player hit the goalie after they trapped the puck, then in OT, they call it. Even the commentators said they thought it was a "make up" call.

Was sad to see those girls lose. They played great for most of the game.

I would imagine he's as ready as he'll ever be.  Good for him, hoping they win big today so he can feel like he's contributed.

Happy that Faulk will finally get to see some action. This situation though is exactly why they should've had him play in one of the two round robin games where we were overwhelming favorites.

Hope he can show he can be a big contributor, but as the 7th Dman on the bench we may not be seeing much of him on the ice.

Finns were down to Sweden when I last looked...Rask down with the flu, which is a blow to them.

I'm not sure this really means anything, but Canada will have two guys on the officiating crew for the USA/CAN game.  USA has a guy in there also.

Anyone else having a tough time cheering for Brooks Orpik?

Faulk getting a shift with Ryan Suter.

It'd be great if these games weren't during the work day kind of makes it hard to care about any of it. Obviously that can't happen.

Edited by legend-1

What a disgusting lack of effort or urgency by the US Mens Hockey team, I have saw more effort in a NHL All-Star game

Credit Canadas Defense but what a bleeping joke of a game by the US, everyone that stepped on the ice except Quick should be ashamed of themselves, what an embarrassment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope Finland beats them because those players don't even deserve a bronze medal with that kind of half hearted effort

This was an easy one for Canada :cry:  :twilight-zone:  :dizzy:  :shock:    :censored:  :censored: :censored:

Edited by Carolinafan85

Faulk with a whopping 1:15 of ice time, meanwhile Byslma plays his good ol pal Brooks Orpik who played the only goal of the game horribly. Wouldn't have changed anything but this homerism crap has peeved me the entire Olympics.