The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
legend-1

Go Fishing In Ontario

Just wondering how many people fish here and just how many people want to go fishing in Ontario?

I see they've paid to put Ontario Canada logo next to CH.com's banner and I'm just thinking to myself how much money are they wasting on this demographic that I would assume has little interest in Ontario and likely far less interest in fishing in Ontario,.

Is it a NHL thing or does Ontario really want North Carolina Hockey fans to visit?

Just something I've been kicking around in my mind every time I've seen those commercials the past 3 years.

I love to fish, and I've fished in Ontario several times on float plane trips.  It's awesome.  So, that's one.

Not expecting the number to get to 2 really, but I see your point.  Seems like a strange marketing strategy.

Anyway, if you fish, and want to find a rather inexpensive way to do that in a really out of the way place, call Babe Winkleman.  Tell him Legend sent you.

I'm not much of a fisherman, but have vacationed in Ontario a few times in my life and have always enjoyed it very much. Those ads always serve as a reminder for me, "yeah, I should go visit Ontario again." So I guess you can say the ads sort of work for me.

Went up to Toronto last summer and although we didn't fish, Lake Ontario has quite a bit to offer.  There's something strange about being on a big body of water with no salt.

I'm wondering if its an all NHL thing and they're not just targeting NC.

I think they are targeting folks who are looking for a trip more along the lines of what we have done. Bush camps are nice, but it's still roughing it. Awesome trip for a kid, I can vouch for that.  I grew up taking trips to hunt and fish.  And I admit, I'm a real outlier on the boards in that regard, but you don't know what your missing, ha ha.

j8tv.jpg

:th_Canada:

Edited by coastal_caniac

I haven't fished in Ontario but grew up fishing on Lake Ontario on the U.S. side. Great Trout and Salmon fishing!!!! I would go to Ontario although I always wanted to do an Alaska fishing trip.

I have about zero desire to fish at all, regardless of where its at. Though I would like to visit Ontario, so it would be cool to see what else there is to do there.

You don't have to like to fish to enjoy a family vacation in a cabin in the boreal forest after being flown in and dropped off for a week. Ontario has a lot of boreal forest.

:)

Edited by coastal_caniac

You can bet that the Ontario tourist board has plenty of data to back up their choice of markets in which to advertise. They don't just throw a dart and say "Let's advertise in NC" without knowing they can get some traction.

Unfortunately the entirety of people who have seen the commercial don't post here but thus far in our little neck of the woods doesn't seem to be pushing anyone over the cliff on actually making the trip anytime soon.

Edited by legend-1

All I can tell you is there are 36 million hunters and fisherman in this country, and some of those generate billions of dollars to the NC economy annually. 

Generally speaking, anglers who would most likely take a fishing trip to Ontario are males, in their mid-40's, are married, have incomes significantly higher than the state's average income, and have higher education levels compared to the state's or national average.

I'm assuming that is the demographic being targeted.  How that fits the Canes fanbase is impossible for me to know, but yeah, this board likely won't be spending money "fishing in Ontario".

Edited by coastal_caniac

I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but I've been up in the Boreal forest like one of the other posters on here mentioned, and I can tell you it is one of the greatest things ever to do. If you like seclusion, get a cabin and enjoy a good week or two up there....just not in the winter. 

Anybody else been fishing in Ontario lately?

I went goose banding in Nunavut (not Ontario), and got to fish some.

Arctic char, lake and brook trout mostly.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Not a lot going on as it seems the storms we had up here the last couple of days slowed down the fish. We hooked a couple of Lake Trout and one Coho. The beer was cold and the lake was calm, so good time had by all.

Sounds like you had a good time.

We tried our luck at flounder today on Pamlico Sound.  I caught 3 keeper flounder that all were over 23 inches, a few puppy drum, and several nice speckled trout. 

We tried to cast a net for some shrimp that the flounder had jumping but only ended up with a couple of pounds.  They were small, but they are sure going to be good.

It was blistering hot, thank god for a t-top.  Too many jellyfish around to jump in and cool off.

My brother and law and I have a float plane trip up to Ontario planned next year, and we are looking forward to it.

Edited by coastal_caniac