The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cheapseats

Trade Rumors From TSN.ca

Carolina Bound?

Garrioch also believes the Edmonton Oilers could trade forward Sam Gagner in exchange for a goaltender from the Carolina Hurricanes. The Hurricanes could trade Cam Ward, Justin Peters or Anton Khudobin according to Garrioch.

A good young player but I don't know that we can afford his 4.8 cap hit without Cam going the other way. I hope not though. 4.8 mil for a third line center is crazy. He could be a RW to J Staal. But that would mean Skins would be the third line center (a little more crazy than Gagner).

Article states, ..."Since he can’t trade LW Taylor Hall, C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or RW Nail Yakupov, the most attractive piece could be C Sam Gagner. He’d get the club a decent returns and there’s even talk he could be dealt to Carolina for one of the club’s three goalies: Cam Ward, Justin Peters or Anton Khudobin."

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/11/toronto-maple-leafs-looking-for-help-up-front-could-be-willing-to-unload-a-defenceman?token=54d32793edd0fc8b37356c492d7d5c21

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Article states, ..."Since he can’t trade LW Taylor Hall, C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or RW Nail Yakupov, the most attractive piece could be C Sam Gagner. He’d get the club a decent returns and there’s even talk he could be dealt to Carolina for one of the club’s three goalies: Cam Ward, Justin Peters or Anton Khudobin."

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/11/toronto-maple-leafs-looking-for-help-up-front-could-be-willing-to-unload-a-defenceman?token=54d32793edd0fc8b37356c492d7d5c21

In my humble opinion, this is a real pipe dream. As mentioned above, where are we to slot a 4.8 mil investment, surely not on the 3rd line?

Gagner hasn't proven to be very good defensively (-17 currently), isn't really very good at faceoffs (sub 50% and inconsistent from one night to the next), and is a bit soft.  Just my opinion, but I don't think he would fit at our 3C, and he's making too much for the third line regardless, as Kyrule mentioned.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I like Gagner's consistent numbers. 38-49points every NHL season he's played and he's about on that pace again. More than Ruutu, Tlusty, or anyone else in our bottom 6 will put up this season. I don't think Ward goes anywhere. First off his constant injuries are a big risk for anyone to take on right now, he needs to prove he can play without getting hurt and play well if anyone is gonna take on his 6 million dollar contract. Its gotta be a Peters package thats gonna go if this happens.

If Dobby get moved, i will blow a  gasket.... And i dont see Cammer going, for all the reasons, sentiment included, and hes not dead yet... Has to be  Peters.

Wasn't JML -17 too? He was +7 for us before last nights game and only on ice for one goal against. I agree even Gagners career numbers are not desirable. I don't care for that trade, letem keep Gagner

GA/GF diff to 19 after the last two no show games...I think it makes sense to move Cam just for freeing up salary funds if its only a Million and change. Minus the 6 game scoring out break, Canes still struggle to score.. Moves need to be made.. Jets hire a new coach named Maurice and thump Phx 5-1.. Wonder why we cant get a coach like that...Laffs

Edited by PamlicoPuck

I don't even come close to "hate to say it" on Ruutu.  He's that bad.  I would seriously consider waiving him if we could just get him off the ice.  I'd rather have Palushaj in there if we are going to waste a bottom-6 spot on Ruutu.  At least that guy is a beast on the boards.  Ruutu was benched early in the third, again.

And PLEASE take Nash with him.  That guy is terrible.  Never saw the ice in the third, again.

Dvorak has tapered off, and was benched early in the third, again.

We need a shakeup.

I was going to add Nash to the list, but it started to look like trying to dump 3 first graders for a third grader. I know Nash is coming off injury, but he's never taken that next step.

One solid third line center would really help.

If, and it's a big if, but if we could get Tlusty/E/Semin going again, keep the second in tact, and then put a nice center between Skinner and Linholm....

Our 4th line was an awsome 4th line w/ Manny, plus, but it's not as awsome as a third line.

Trade Cam to any team that wants him. Clear his 6.5 million contract & that that would be the "BEST SAVE" Cam could make for the Canes!!

Trade Cam to any team that wants him. Clear his 6.5 million contract & that that would be the "BEST SAVE" Cam could make for the Canes!!

I almost choked on my drink! Hahahaha!

Seriously though, send him out west and get some good picks or an upper UFA and use the cash to sign some UFA or RFA talent in the off season. I just don't see any help coming in a trade. Just more salary for another struggling player another team is trying to unload.

Edited by Whattausay

I don't see how trading cam is going to be possible with his salary and injury issues plus his stats, and expect to get anything decent in return, sounds like a pipe dream, but then again, someone did take Kabs off our hands so anything is possible.

Something may be about to go down...Oiler trade Dubnyk away for a Matt Hendricks.....

I just saw this and thought Hmmm is there a bigger move coming. Could it involve us?  Watch, wait and see.                                 

Half right, a bigger move was coming. Scrivens has been rumored to be on the market for a while now.Nice move by the OIL.

I don't think Cam moves yet. The potential for a decent return probably isn't there until he's back in the net for a while. He's been reliable most of the time he's been here. He's struggled as of late, but most of those struggles are coming along side recent injuries, etc. I'm not making excuses for the guy, but he was pretty much one of the only reasons we won a lot of our games before the last 2 or so seasons. We had some pretty atrocious teams, especially defensively. He deserves another chance once he's actually 100%, maybe that's next year. If he can't or doesn't return to form, then it's time to move on.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT opposed to trading Cam Ward, IF it makes the team better. He has to go out west though, no question, otherwise he'll return to form and make us look stupid, that's almost a guarantee for us. I'm skeptical about trading Ward, because it's been seen so many times over the last few seasons where a young guy comes in and plays like a number one, that team trades away their old number one and the new guy starts to struggle a season or two later (see Holtby, Reimer -> Varlamov, Gustavsson). I'm sure there are plenty more examples, but I think the point is clear.

What boggles my mind is how people jump all over Cam for a couple of bad seasons, both riddled with injury, but suddenly thought Pete Dawg was the number 1 when he finally put together a decent stretch of 20 games (which started 0-5) after 4 or 5 atrocious seasons at the NHL level and mediocre seasons at the AHL level. You can forget about all those bad seasons for Pete Dawg after 20 games, but don't give a historically reliable guy like Cammer another shot after a couple bad seasons with injuries?

Obviously, this is just my opinion, Khudobin may already be on the management staff's radar as the future number 1. It's all about taking advantage of opportunities at this level and he certainly is making the most of his. I'll leave it up to the guys at the top to decide.

Outside of goaltending, I'm pretty much on board with a bottom 9 shakeup. I'd definitely keep both Staals, Semin, Skins, Gerbe, Dwyer, Malhotra, Lindy, Dvorak (he's dropped off a little, but I think he plays a reliable role) and I think the defense is "good enough" at this point. Any of the others: Bowman, Tlusty (on the fence with him still), Nash, Ruutu, Komisarek could be shipped out for picks, a decent 3rd or 4th line role guy or to make roster room for a checker. Palushaj, Boychuk and Sutter all impressed me with their injury callups. If they can keep doing that, I'd rather seem them in the lineup.

What the Scrivens trade does do is get an expendable goalie off the market. I don't know how much it will help but it can't hurt when your trying to move a goalie.