The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

all out brawl on puck-drop at the Canuck/Flames game

Torts goes after Hartley in the Flames lockerroom.  What are the pemalties and suspensions from this nonsense?

I hate this nonsense.

Canes alumnus Westgarth had a TOI of 0:02 with a PIM of 17minutes.  Sheesh.

Tort will get some sort of suspension and fine for his antics near the Flames locker-room.

Really hate to see a skilled team like the Canucks turn into a goon team.

So Westgarth doesn't do jack squat for us...then shows up to Calgary and starts raising hell from the word go.  Is it just me, or is it the culture in Raleigh? 

So Westgarth doesn't do jack squat for us...then shows up to Calgary and starts raising hell from the word go.  Is it just me, or is it the culture in Raleigh? 

It's partly the culture in Raleigh, but it's also what Calgary wanted out of Westgarth, and I'm sure they told him so before he got off the plane. I agree the Canes need much more physicality, but goofing it up in today's NHL will only lead to long suspensions. What frustrates me most is we've got two huge guys up front - brothers - who have the size and ability to lay down the law and mostly don't. Until that changes, and until they get more willing to go into what Muller calls "difficult places" - namely in front of the net and into the corners - not much will change around here.

Well deserved for both. I actually understand Torts reaction more then I can condone Hartley's goon hockey decision. Bob read the league memo.

6 games *nods* theres been worse on ice stuff that's not even gotten 6 games.

I personally think Hartley's sending out his goons his more of an embarassment

Edited by legend-1

When your team is so far out of it only midway through the season, this is what you resort to if you're a Canadian team...Toronto did this a few seasons ago...Edmonton a season or so before that.

I hope the culture in Raleigh is different than what that incident showed. That was just stupid. I can't see anything positive resulting from the Canes initiating a similar incident here.

If we get to the point where the hockey doesn't matter, I'm all for fighting for entertainment purposes, just not the way Calgary did it.  Instead, slide a couple of kiddie pools of jello out onto the ice and let the Storm Squad go at it.  Chantel can be the "in pool" referee. :P  

Hartley should have drawn the same penalty as Torts. That was straight out of Slapshot. The statement about Torts said that his actions were an embarrassment for the league. Sending Westgarth (the least talented hockey player in the league) to take the opening face off is more embarrassing.

I don't know what to think of this spectacle, other than saying Torts probably saw an opportunity to fire up his completely uninspired team, one that would not have presented itself if (new Calgary GM and former Leaf failure) Brian Burke wasn't such a two-year-old.

Hartley knows he's probably toast at the end of the year, so if Burke had told him to send out a giraffe on roller skates, an aardvark with a bowl of spaghetti and three ring-tailed lemurs, Hartley would have, and asked Burke if he needed a quick spit-shine, too.

Hartley should have drawn the same penalty as Torts. That was straight out of Slapshot. The statement about Torts said that his actions were an embarrassment for the league. Sending Westgarth (the least talented hockey player in the league) to take the opening face off is more embarrassing.

Not while John Scott is in the league he isn't.