The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Murphy assigned to Charlotte

So we sent Murphy to the Checkers, gocheckers.com

By joining the AHL roster before Friday’s 5 p.m. deadline, Murphy is now eligible to play for Charlotte through the duration of the NHL’s upcoming Olympic break, provided he stays with the Checkers until that break begins on Feb. 9.

The report says Lindholm can also be assigned later if we want him to play for the Checkers during the Olympic break because he has skated less NHL games than Murphy has.

Seems to me the smart thing to do w/ both guys is to play them but not every Checkers game. 

Not sure what the Checker's schedule looks like, but maybe play them for home games or every other. 

On Murphy, Chuck said in pre game that he thinks both Murphy and Bellemore will be scratched a lot for the rest of the year, baring injuries as Muller uses more veterans. 

On Lindholm, I still like his play. He makes lots of slick little plays and passes. So I'd play him here and there on the Checkers, but don't want him to hit a wall. Get some rest in there too. 

I really like Murphy and see big things for him in the future, but his game seemed to regress a bit the last couple of weeks he played. Unless we get unusually lucky, there will be injuries and call ups will happen also. 

Edited by remkin

Checkers reporting Murphy is being assigned to Charlotte.

http://www.gocheckers.com/articles/545-hurricanes-assign-ryan-murphy-to-charlotte.html

The Carolina Hurricanes have assigned defenseman Ryan Murphy, the 12th overall pick in the 2011 draft, to Charlotte.

Murphy, 20, could be available as early as Friday’s game against Oklahoma City after sitting out each of Carolina’s last four games as a healthy extra. By joining the AHL roster before Friday’s 5 p.m. deadline, Murphy is now eligible to play for Charlotte through the duration of the NHL’s upcoming Olympic break, provided he stays with the Checkers until that break begins on Feb. 9.

The only other Hurricanes player on an entry-level contract who is not actually playing in the Olympics, 2013 first-round draft pick Elias Lindholm, is still eligible to play for the Checkers during the Olympic break despite not accompanying Murphy to the AHL on Friday. Because he has spent fewer days on the NHL roster than Murphy and only recently rejoined the team from the World Junior Championship in Sweden, Lindholm was not subject to Friday's deadline.

Carolina still has seven defensemen at its disposal following the assignment of Murphy, with former Checker Brett Bellemore also scratched for the team’s last four games. Carolina plays seven more times until the beginning of the Olympic break, while the Checkers are scheduled to play six times, including twice at Raleigh’s PNC Arena, during that hiatus.

The addition of Murphy gives Charlotte eight healthy defensemen, with Beau Schmitz sitting out each of the last two.

In 39 NHL games with the Hurricanes this season, Murphy scored 11 points (2g, 9a) to rank third among team blueliners. Three of those points came on the power play, where he was a regular fixture while in the lineup during his rookie campaign.

A high scorer with the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers (220 points in 228 games) Murphy played a total of eight AHL contests with Charlotte at the conclusion of his junior career late last season. He registered four assists during that time, including two in five playoff games as the Checkers fell to Oklahoma City in the first round.

Edited by hopper915

Seems to me the smart thing to do w/ both guys is to play them but not every Checkers game. 

Not sure what the Checker's schedule looks like, but maybe play them for home games or every other. 

On Murphy, Chuck said in pre game that he thinks both Murphy and Bellemore will be scratched a lot for the rest of the year, baring injuries as Muller uses more veterans. 

On Lindholm, I still like his play. He makes lots of slick little plays and passes. So I'd play him here and there on the Checkers, but don't want him to hit a wall. Get some rest in there too. 

I really like Murphy and see big things for him in the future, but his game seemed to regress a bit the last couple of weeks he played. Unless we get unusually lucky, there will be injuries and call ups will happen also. 

I think it is probable the smart move to keep Murphy playing. I think I will miss Murphy energy and offensive mindset. He does still have some learning to do and with the addition of Liles his playing time would be less.  After the Olympic break I expect we will make some roster decisions.

How did my post end up being #3 when I started it?

When I combined the posts the program puts the earliest first. Since I had already posted the information in Hurricane Talk when I moved the posts It put them in order of time posted. Since we have so many duplicate conversations going I combined them to keep  the discussion in one place.

I'm really glad Murphy is playing somewhere.  Harrison-Komi isn't really knocking my socks off though.  Anyway, it looks like Muller is going with the vets.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't agree that we should play them half the games in Charlotte. The whole point of it besides the fact he'll play through the Olympic Break is to play. Sitting them for fear of injury or regression of confidence doesn't make sense. They being sent there to build that confidence and get more ice time. They are need to play to earn their way back to the big team. Doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Well they probably won't play him for half the games, but...rookies tend to hit a wall w/ the grind of their first nhl season. If he plays all the games during the break, then a prolonged season and then hopefully the playoffs, that's a long season.

I know he's been scratched and hasn't played every game, but that's my point.

Just my idea, probably he will play them all or almost all.

Looks like Murphy is doing ok down on the farm

In the latest game against Norfolk

Ryan Murphy had helpers on both goals to extend his assist streak to eight games, tying the longest posted by an AHL player this season and extending the franchise record.

On the one hand does look like it was a good move in his development to send him down. Let him find his game a half notch slower. Always annoys me the agreement w/ junior hockey and the NHL. Each team should get one exemption from the 20 year old rule. Murphy would be better off if he played last year in the AHL.

On the other hand, we sure could use some of that offense up here. Eventually he needs to run our PP too. 

Looks like Murphy is doing ok down on the farm

In the latest game against Norfolk

But didn't we send him down to work on his defense? Anyone know how he's doing on that front?

I'd also like to see Boycuk back up sometime soon.  He had another hat trick for the Checkers last game. Seems like "it" (whatever "it" is) might have finally gotten through to him.

Edited by LakeLivin

I personally have seen enough of Boychuck. A very good AHL player, that's it. Why would version 8.0 of the Boychuck experiment be any different??

I no longer trust this team to really give our AHL guys a serious chance to prove that they can be slow developing NHL scorers. They don't get serious runs in scoring positions. 

Boychuk is on a 46 goal pace. #4 in the AHL. 

Put him in the top 6 for a while, or even on our "scoring" third line.

We need more scoring. Especially on the PP. 

But didn't we send him down to work on his defense? Anyone know how he's doing on that front?

I'd also like to see Boycuk back up sometime soon.  He had another hat trick for the Checkers last game. Seems like "it" (whatever "it" is) might have finally gotten through to him.

Murphy is a +/-  +3. I know +/- doesn't always reflect an individuals play but its the best I can find and it is a positive.