The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Murphy assigned to Charlotte

I personally have seen enough of Boychuck. A very good AHL player, that's it. Why would version 8.0 of the Boychuck experiment be any different??

Please tell me when Boychuck has been given a real chance in a position to suceed?  Playing him in a 3rd or 4th line grinding role is hardly a good fit for his size and skill set.  Putting him on a scoring line for 1 period and then benching him has not been very effective.  It's a good thing that Jeff Skinner has not been subject to the same treatment as Boychuck.  Bring him up, put him on a scoring line, and leave him there for the rest of the season.  Then we will know what we have.  What's the worst thing that can happen?  If he is awful and we loose more games, we pick higher.  This team is going nowhere anyway so we might as well see what we have.

...and bring Murphy back up as well.  Play him in the top 4 for the rest of the season, including the PK.  There is no better way to learn to play positionally in your own end.  Again, what's the worst that can happen?  If he makes mistakes and we lose a few more games, we pick higher and maybe he learns from those mistakes and is a true top 4 in the future.

Please tell me when Boychuck has been given a real chance in a position to suceed?  Playing him in a 3rd or 4th line grinding role is hardly a good fit for his size and skill set.  Putting him on a scoring line for 1 period and then benching him has not been very effective.  It's a good thing that Jeff Skinner has not been subject to the same treatment as Boychuck.  Bring him up, put him on a scoring line, and leave him there for the rest of the season.  Then we will know what we have.  What's the worst thing that can happen?  If he is awful and we loose more games, we pick higher.  This team is going nowhere anyway so we might as well see what we have.

This year he has not had much opportunity, but he certainly has had time with the big club. He's played in 82 games, scored 8 goals and has had 14 assists. A fairly good sample size. I guess bringing him up now for the rest of the year wouldn't hurt as we are out of it and to give him his last shot. I just don't think the outcome will be favorable.

This year he has not had much opportunity, but he certainly has had time with the big club. He's played in 82 games, scored 8 goals and has had 14 assists. A fairly good sample size. I guess bringing him up now for the rest of the year wouldn't hurt as we are out of it and to give him his last shot. I just don't think the outcome will be favorable.

What was his ice time in those 82 games....and on what line...and in what role?

I agree.  We should bring Boychuk up for the rest of the season, play him on the top 2 lines and give him a fair shake regardless of the outcome.  Then, we either keep him or move him on out and be done with the saga that is Boychuk.  I think he will pass the test and remain in Raleigh if they do that.  Either way, we know then what we need to do and we move on.  I also agree that we need to bring Murphy back up and turn him loose.  Hell, it's not like we have anything to lose on these guys.  Let's utilize the remainder of the year to evaluate what we have coming up so we know what needs to be done in the off season. 

I agree.  We should bring Boychuk up for the rest of the season, play him on the top 2 lines and give him a fair shake regardless of the outcome.  Then, we either keep him or move him on out and be done with the saga that is Boychuk.  I think he will pass the test and remain in Raleigh if they do that.  Either way, we know then what we need to do and we move on.  I also agree that we need to bring Murphy back up and turn him loose.  Hell, it's not like we have anything to lose on these guys.  Let's utilize the remainder of the year to evaluate what we have coming up so we know what needs to be done in the off season.

Now that's what I'm taking about!  We should probably get Rask a look also, if for no other reason so he can see the speed of the game.  Same thing with McGinn if his Junior season ends in time.

A couple of other points on Boychuk.

1. What does it say to the others trying to fight their way up? What the heck do you have to do to get a shot? #4 in the AHL not good enough?

2. A: Bring Boychuk up, put him in a scoring role, fail....result: higher draft pick, done w/ Boychuk for good. Don't even sign him.

B. Bring Boychuk up, he puts up nice points: at least he might have some trade value. Get a pick for Coastal. :thumbsup: .

3. Create some movement. There has been very little movement of players from Charlotte this year.

4. See what we've got down there.

So, what do the mock drafts look like?

What was his ice time in those 82 games....and on what line...and in what role?

You tell me. I'm not a Boychuck fan and won't spend my time on that analysis. In 82 games if he showed the talent he would of risen up in the line assignments. Are you saying that he is a 1st or second line player on this team? I don't think so. Perhaps he could be a third or 4th line player but that is what we have tried. I certainly wouldn't put him on a line with Semin and E. I wouldn't put him with Jordan and skins,so what is left?

You tell me. I'm not a Boychuck fan and won't spend my time on that analysis. In 82 games if he showed the talent he would of risen up in the line assignments. Are you saying that he is a 1st or second line player on this team? I don't think so. Perhaps he could be a third or 4th line player but that is what we have tried. I certainly wouldn't put him on a line with Semin and E. I wouldn't put him with Jordan and skins,so what is left?

The way we are scoring this year, Boychuk's girlfriend's bother's cousin once removed might be a 1st or 2nd line player on this team.

The way we are scoring this year, Boychuk's girlfriend's bother's cousin once removed might be a 1st or 2nd line player on this team.

Don't forget that Pittsburgh and Nashville took a brief look at him as well. Three NHL teams that are saying NO.

On Boychuk and that he should have broken out by now a couple of thoughts.

1. There were a lot of games where Jussi Jokinen could not produce the way he was used on this team. Now? 43 points, would be our #2 scorer. The fact that an AHL player with many games on the 4th line, some on the third and a few higher up has not broken out is not proff positive that he can score 45 goales in the AHL, but hardly any in the AHL.

2. Can he produce much less than who he would replace?

3. What fun would it be if he did break out? Never know if we don't try.

4. Why not?

On Boychuk and that he should have broken out by now a couple of thoughts.

1. There were a lot of games where Jussi Jokinen could not produce the way he was used on this team. Now? 43 points, would be our #2 scorer. The fact that an AHL player with many games on the 4th line, some on the third and a few higher up has not broken out is not proff positive that he can score 45 goales in the AHL, but hardly any in the AHL.

Do you REALLY think Jokinen would have scored 43 points if he were a Cane all season? 

Do you REALLY think Jokinen would have scored 43 points if he were a Cane all season? 

Not if Muller kept playing him out of position, but that's kind of my point, same w/ Boychuk.

Jussi did put up 30 G and 65 pts for us one year.

Honestly, I'm all for moving out some guys today or tomorrow and bringing back Murphy and Boychuk for a rest of the season try out. Put Boychuk on a scoring line. Fish or cut bait with the guy.