The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Would you like to see the Canes play an outdoor game?

After watching all the games this year so far, I wouldn't mind seeing the Canes involved in one.

I can remember playing pond hockey and it was a lot of fun.

Who would be our "rival" team?

Did a little research.

If we had it in Raleigh, Carter-Finley Stadium seats approx. 60,000.

If we had it in Charlotte, Bank of America Stadium seats approx. 73,000.

Edited by hopper915

Honestly, I don't see it happening in Carolina.  I hope they don't get too carried away with the idea, and "cheapen" it by having too many.  I like the idea of keeping them in more traditional cold winter weather areas, you know, areas that actual pond hockey may have been played.  To keep from making it too common and keep it special, everybody can't host one.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Canes be the visiting team though.  The league needs to market this and spread this money amongst all the teams.  It certainly helps with the TV contracts.  If they are going to get to the point where there are a half dozen or so a year, then all the teams should be able to participate on a rotating basis.  Some teams would get to host more, but fine as long as the money is shared.

I think the more outdoor games they do----the less special the Winter Classic becomes.

And I thought the stadium series game this weekend between LAK and ANA looked a

little silly-------palm trees, green grass in the outfield and concerns about whether the

warmth and humidity would make the ice "sticky". Didn't seem to have the flavor of hockey

to me !! (It also didn't help to have the Ducks team in the bright orange-----looking like

orange popsicles on skates. Maybe they were trying to look tropical to go with the palm

trees.)   It did not scream "hockey" to me.

It would be fun to see the Canes invited to a colder climate to play in a game. (With shared

revenue) But we have no business trying to have an outdoor game here and would look as

silly as the one did in Calif.

Don't jump on me guys----this is just my opinion !

Disagree, aren't we trying to break the old stereptypes of hockey in non-traditional markets? An outdoor game for us would be great exposure we severely need since winning the Cup in 06, and it would probably make us a little money as well. I'd be all over it. If not in Carolina, I can easily see a Washington DC game with Carolina as the visitor.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I posted several years ago that the Canes could host an outdoor game in Carter-Findley stadium, but I was hooted away for several reasons, mainly that it's too warm here for an outdoor game.  Well, 80 in LA and they made it work so I know it could be held here.  C-F would provide better sight lines than the baseball stadiums because the stands are closer to the field and look more "down" onto the field.  And seating capacity easily exceeds that of the two games played this weekend.  That said, there is some truth that too many outdoor games reduces their special status.  But as Sucka says, it would go a long way toward breaking the stereotype of hockey in non-traditional markets and maybe generate more local fans.  We've hosted two SC finals, the draft, and the All-Star game.  What's left?

Rem, does the Island have a nice wide, flat beach?

Edited by g105

Well----my objection to the California game also included the entertainment---the

whole thing screamed "Hollywood"---------not hockey. The  appeal of outdoor

hockey is the weather---you know, battling the elements to play outdoors--like guys

said they did on the frozen ponds in the winter, etc.

Todays game Rangers/Devils---seemed more on the mark. I think we erased some

stereotypes when we had the All Star Games here a few years back. But the best way

to quiet the nay-sayers is to make the playoffs and make a statement by our play on the ice.

Disagree, aren't we trying to break the old stereptypes of hockey in non-traditional markets?

Well----my objection to the California game also included the entertainment---the

whole thing screamed "Hollywood"---------not hockey. The  appeal of outdoor

hockey is the weather---you know, battling the elements to play outdoors--like guys

said they did on the frozen ponds in the winter, etc.

Todays game Rangers/Devils---seemed more on the mark. I think we erased some

stereotypes when we had the All Star Games here a few years back. But the best way

to quiet the nay-sayers is to make the playoffs and make a statement by our play on the ice.

Agree about proving ourselves worthy of being a Hockey Franchise where we are by our play in the regular season and post-season, but I also think that the whole "Outdoor games belong only in the North" is a perfect example of the constant bashing the Southern Market NHL teams go through simply by existing where we exist. I can understand the desire for cold and snow in an outdoor setting, but the outdoor games aren't scheduled around the weather. Too many people put too much into that in my opinion. But that's just my opinion ;)

And if someone asked me if I'd rather attend an outdoor game in 15 degree weather and snow or in 50 degree weather and partly cloudy I'd always go the warmer more comfortable route. And I lived in NY for 11 years.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I agree with those who have said that a game down here would help develop the game in the south. The organization made a great impression with the All-Star game a couple years ago, with a lot of the experts raving about how well done it was and how enjoyable the experience was. Let's be honest, NC isn't covered in snow all winter, but it does get cold enough where playing outdoors wouldn't seem fake. 

The Caps are the only team I can see us playing in an outdoor game. Need to make the playoffs and intensify some of our rivalries and earn the right to an outdoor game. Show the state how important the franchise is and how fun the sport can be. Make a tailgating spectacle out of the whole thing, it would be quite entertaining for those in attendance, but the team needs to go out and earn that right.

Let's have it at the beach!

They did that yesterday!  :razz:

I think this year they've done too many, though having 4 maybe due to the lock-out last season. Hopefully they will go back to having one or two a year. Maybe one in a traditional city one year and one in a non-traditional ciy the following year. You have to remember that the whole reason Edmonton traded Gretzky to LA was to broaden hockey's reach.  They had an interesting stat last night about that. Before Gretzky went to LA, I think they said only 2,000 kids were interested in playing ice hockey. Now, hockey is everywhere in California and they have around 25,000 kids playing hockey.

I know there are many here who've played hockey. Even a Southerner like myself grew up with hockey. My dad's family was from Boston, so every winter we'd go there for Christmas and the neighborhood kids would try to embarrass the kid from NC. We'd hit the pond behind my grandpa's house. Since I couldn't skate real good, they made me goalie. They'd give me a catcher's mask, glove and a pair of skates and tell me to learn to skate and stop the puck. After 6 years, I got pretty good at it. Would never trade that experience for anything.

Even if the Canes don't host one, I think it would be nice for the team to participate in one, wearing the green and white of the Whalers??? Can you said FedEx Field?

Edited by hopper915

Hey don't get me wrong. If we ever get one, I'll be there and psyched as heck.

You never know. We gotta get one before Florida.

Anything's possible, I suppose. The fact that the NHL selected 2 of its 5 venues this year to not be in cold weather cities is interesting. Vancouver, the site of this years Heritage Classic, has a winter temperature climate not all that different than Raleigh, with average highs a little lower and average lows a little higher than here, though they're a lot wetter this time of year than NC.

Could have it at Kenan. Great tie in, Carolina Hurricanes playing at Carolina!

And with as many transplants as there are in the area we could play a number of teams, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or bring in the Jets as an old rivalry from the Thrasher days.

During the Aftermath (HEY MIIIIIIKE!!!) on Saturday Forslund suggested an outdoor game here vs Nashville.

And Carter-Finley is the only acceptable place to hold the game.

Virginia Tech and Tennesee are having a football game at Bristol Motor Speedway in a few years, so a hockey game at a Nascar track is totally doable.

Disagree, aren't we trying to break the old stereptypes of hockey in non-traditional markets? An outdoor game for us would be great exposure we severely need since winning the Cup in 06, and it would probably make us a little money as well. I'd be all over it. If not in Carolina, I can easily see a Washington DC game with Carolina as the visitor.

Caps are hosting the next Winter Classic so I have my fingers crossed for the Canes to be the visiting team.  Being a displaced NC native in the DC suburbs I am hopeful since the Caps have already had a Classic against the Penguins and the NY/NE teams already have played a Classic/Stadium series game.  If the NHL is going to pull in a new  team into the rotation the Canes would be a logical pick.  

Please, not at a NASCAR track.  Nothing against that sport, but isn't the association between NASCAR and Southern hockey (especially here in Carolina) one of the major stereotypes we're trying to shake off?

I

Please, not at a NASCAR track.  Nothing against that sport, but isn't the association between NASCAR and Southern hockey (especially here in Carolina) one of the major stereotypes we're trying to shake off?

I think most people are being facetious about a NASCAR track. If we ever did get an outdoor game anything less then a sellout would be counter to the desired objective of boosting the image of hockey in the south. So I'd think you'd want to limit seats to a number you know you'd be able to fill. I'm wondering if even Carter Finley might be risky unless it was configured to hold less than the 60k it seats for football.

Need anyone mention the obvious size difference between a Nascar track and a hockey rink?  Unless you are talking about Bristol, I don't see it.

I could see a good game at carter-finley, since it is right there and all. I don' think we would have any issues with tickets (see all-star week turnout). It's one thing to turn out for a tuesday game against calgary but a once in a decade+ event is different. Few other cool options would be in Charlotte (would be a good marketing development for the team there). A game in the OBX would be boss. I can't think of a single place suitable for it though :(